PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Latest AFC Playoffs Picture (Bonus: Broncos might miss post season)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peyton may think that's a good idea but the Texans fan base won't. They are sick of the qb situation there and won't want to settle for a broken down prima dona who throws more picks than Schaub, who they couldn't wait to chase out of town.

Donks will finish 12-4. They will not lose to the Bengals or Chargers at home. Steelers need the game this week more than they do.

Bengals will not win another game against a decent team this year.

Anyone think the Bengals could blow that division? @niners, @broncos vs Ravens. Any chance they lose all 3?

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here, too:

In the AFC, you can stick a fork in the mathematically eliminated teams:

Ravens
Chargers
Browns
Titans

The fat lady is clearing her throat for the sub-.500 teams with no shot of winning their division:

Raiders
Bills
Dolphins

There will be one, and only one, of:

Colts
Texans
Jaguars

The Patriots are already in the playoffs, which leaves

Jets
Bengals
Steelers
Chiefs
Broncos

fighting for 4 spots, meaning that, barring a team collapsing, we've got a game of musical chairs with one team getting left out. Of those 5 teams:

Bengals - Does anyone trust a Marvin Lewis team to win 3 games in a row with a backup QB? How about winning a playoff game with that backup QB? They may not be toast, but I think we can all at least smell the start of bread being charred a bit.

Chiefs - Easiest. Schedule. Ever. (Ravens, Browns, Raiders) Ok, I'm exaggerating, but the point is that they should win all those games. If the Raiders were at home, I might give them a shot. But they won't be. They'll be on the road, week 17, after being eliminated.

Steelers - Tough game next week (Broncos) before getting two easy games (Ravens, Browns), but they've got the core relatively healthy now, and the receiving corps is killing it right now. After all of their injuries and all of the oddities that have been a part of 2015 for the Steelers, their entire season may end up having come down to the question of whether or not they were able to pressure the Broncos' backup QB in week 15.

Broncos - On the road against Pitt before a pair of home games against the Bengals (likely minus Dalton) and Chargers would, logically, seem to mean that they should finish no worse than 12-4, but does anyone really trust either Osweiller or P. Manning at this point? I expect them to win the division, but that's more because of Dalton's thumb than anything about the Broncos.

Jets - At Dallas, home against the Patriots, and then at Buffalo. They have the toughest schedule, by far, of the three teams currently at 8-5, and they're in the Patriots division. They could win all 3 games, but they could also lose all 3 games (SOJ?). New England should have the division clinched after this next week's games, which might make the Jets week 16 game a bit more favorable to them, but I still view them as the likeliest of the 5 to miss the playoffs.

Breaking it down that way, and leaving out the 'future injury' factor, I see a 'likeliest' scenario of something like:

1. New England (should crush the Titans and should at least split with the Jets/Dolphins)
2. Denver
3. Cincinnati (Having both the 49ers and the Ravens should keep them from losing all 3 games left)
4. Indy (game against HOU this week is at home, and they won the first matchup, but go Texans!)
5. Chiefs
6. Steelers (wouldn't shock me to see them catch the Bengals at 11-5)

Peyton may think that's a good idea but the Texans fan base won't. They are sick of the qb situation there and won't want to settle for a broken down prima dona who throws more picks than Schaub, who they couldn't wait to chase out of town.

I don't think they have a lot of options, they are not getting a top pick in the draft and Hoyer is clearly a stopgap that seems to struggle with injuries or performance every time he gets a good sequence of 3 games. That kid they drafted 2 years ago never played and I never heard anything optimistic about him. Mallet is gone. Whatever their approach for the QB position is they will have a transition that will last some good 2 years.

That all sounds great, but the scenario below is a very real possibility:

The Pats @NYJ, Cincy @Denver and Denver @Pitt all lose one more game.
Houston takes the AFCS at 8-8 or even better at 7-9.
KC, Pitt and the NYJ all win out to finish at 11-5.

That leaves this as the AFC seeding;
1 - NE (13-3)
2 - Denver (12-4
3 - Cincy (12-4)
4 - Houston (8-8 or 7-9)
5 - KC (11-5)
6 - Pitt (11-5)

NYJ* (11-5) are out of the playoffs, along with Indy and the Ravens.
* 11-5 was the Pats record in 2008 when the Chargers made it at 8-8 and we stayed home.
That would be KARM-TASTIC!!!!!!!!!!

#Texans QB Brian Hoyer did suffer another concussion last night, source said. He goes in the protocol, the team prepares TJ Yates to start

Osweiller is never going to be a HOF talent however he could be a less mistake prone version of Jake Plummer who Denver did very well with. If they can re-tool their OL and keep the defense at this level they would be a dangerous team PLUS they would get 19M back towards the cap if they cut that (dead) meat.

bengals will find it hard to beat broncos on MNF without dalton.

I watched the Steelers x Bengals game and McCarron did well for a first start, I mean, not start but filling in during the game. After a while they needed to play catch up against the Steelers and then he threw a pick but based on this very small sample I think he can pull a Osweiller. It's not like Dalton is a superstar he is the same QB for me, the case is that the Bengals is a good team in all phases.

bengals will find it hard to beat broncos on MNF without dalton.

Bengals would find it hard beating the Broncos on MNF with or without Dalton...

Some 411 for the statistics whores.... :p

RT @Cole_Cummins: Crazy... Shocker: No Alabama quarterback has won an NFL game since 1987 | For The Win - ftw.usatoday.comftw.usatoday.com/2015/12/aj-mcc…

Last edited:
Barring a major collapse by the Pats, the #1 seed looks fairly likely. Depending on the seeding, my guess would be some combination of either the Chiefs or Steelers in the divisional and AFCCG playing at Gillette.

Last edited:
Anyone think the Bengals could blow that division? @niners, @broncos vs Ravens. Any chance they lose all 3?

No...I think they lose one maybe, I still think their defense is good enough to keep the Broncos to a low score and you never know whats happens then...ask Oakland :). Im not sure the Niners can score a lot on the Bengals defense, and the Ravens are just complete crap. I could actually see the Broncos losing at least two, that offensive line is 10 times worse than ours.

FYI im in Denver and the fans here are nuts over what to do next...Manning/OZ LOL...fire Kubes, find O line guys that arent working...etc .etc. It is hilarious.

I'm not sure how reliable that ESPN "playoff machine" is, but it seems like the Pats will get the #1 seed even if they lose to the Jets and McCarron leads the Bungles to victory in the final 3 games. Obviously we lose the tiebreaker to Denver, so Pittsburgh would need to win next week to get the Donks to 4 losses.

Chiefs - Easiest. Schedule. Ever. (Ravens, Browns, Raiders) Ok, I'm exaggerating, but the point is that they should win all those games. If the Raiders were at home, I might give them a shot. But they won't be. They'll be on the road, week 17, after being eliminated.

They do have an easy schedule; in fact, it seems like they haven't played a decent team in awhile (at Denver was Manning's meldown game.) Something about the Chiefs just makes me queasy, as they are one of those teams that always seems to lay an egg as soon as you think they've gotten over the hump. Alex Smith is just a limited quarterback and Andy Reid always seems to brain fart at the worst time. I don't know...I just think they are the most likely team to shoot themselves in the foot by losing a game they have no business losing. We'll see.

If only we were playing the Jets week 17 instead of 16! Why? Because if Denver loses to Pitt, and Cincy loses in Denver, the Pats will have that a fore mentioned 2 game cushion. Laying down against the Jets would help the Jets make the playoffs, AND keep the Steelers out. In essence the Pats could allow the Jets to go play Cincy or maybe Indy, while thanking the hot Steelers for knocking off both Cincy and Denver by keeping Pittsburgh out of the postseason altogether! (assuming both KC and the Jets win out, which would bar Pitt from the playoffs.)

Actually I heard that if KC, Jets, and PIT all win out, that PIT gets in and the Jets are out. Not sure why. SOS maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents