PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday [UPDATE: Reiss: It's Monday]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday

Vernon Gholston or maybe you should watch college football since the Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker prospect destroyed the number one rated offensive tackle prospect in the 2008 NFL draft this past season.

Would this be the same linebacker who got abused against LSU?

Some of the greatest single season NFL teams played in the 1980's but I guess you will completely ignore NFL history.

1984 49ers 15-1
1985 Bears 15-1
1989 49ers 14-2

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots try the Ponce de Leon approach at resolving holes at the linebacker position.

By the bar you've set, the New England Patriots turned in 3 others of the greatest single seasons in NFL history:

2003 14-2
2004 14-2
2007 16-0

Not coincidentally, almost all the teams we've discussed have won the Super Bowl. As we are all accutely aware, the 2007 Patriots did not.

Does this prove that the 2007 Pats' linebacking corps was too old, and furthermore will be too old, to contribute?

No. It proves that the 2007 Pats did not win the Super Bowl.

The defense gave up all of 17 points.

Yes, we do need to get younger and add depth. If BB can work in a 33-year-old smaller linebacker from a different system, hey, give him the toys to play with. If he doesn't have a use for ZT's talents, off ZT goes.

Hate to be a koolaid drinker here, and BB can be (and has been) wrong. But it's far more likely we're wrong - hence the koolaid.

It's the cross we have to bear as fans of one of the smartest teams in football for a long time.

PFnV

To do otherwise is simply to call for every position to be overhauled every non-super bowl-winning year (shouldn't we start with that loser Brady?) :rolleyes:

PFnV
Just the inside linebacker position via the draft because the following has not worked out:

Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Eric Alexander
Junior Seau

Funny how the Cowboys under the direction of Bill Parcells can find an inside linebacker in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft.

Will gone down as the most infamous.

Ok, you're just being ridiculous. This was the greatest regular season in the history of the NFL.

Ok, you're just being ridiculous. This was the greatest regular season in the history of the NFL.

Too bad a great regular season isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

Vernon Gholston or maybe you should watch college football since the Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker prospect destroyed the number one rated offensive tackle prospect in the 2008 NFL draft this past season.
Vernon Gholston=Lawrence Taylor? Really?

Would you like to bet some money on that? I'll go out on a limb and predict he's not going to be as good as Lawrence Taylor.

Just the inside linebacker position via the draft because the following has not worked out:

Monty Beisel
Chad Brown
Eric Alexander
Junior Seau

Funny how the Cowboys under the direction of Bill Parcells can find an inside linebacker in the fourth round of the 2003 NFL draft.

Are you really going to argue that Seau hasn't worked out?

He's been very productive in his time in New England.

Belichick prefers veterans who can learn his system faster. And he's obviously had success with it.

Too bad a great regular season isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

What a load of nonsense. Every year, all but one team come up short of a Super Bowl victory. That doesn't mean that all but one team had bad seasons and will all share in that bucket of spit. This Patriots team is in the midst of the greatest run any team has made in the Super Bowl era. It just became the first NFL team to ever have a 16-0 regular season. Furthermore, if memory serves, even with this recent loss, only the Steelers have ever won more Super Bowls in the same time frame.

You people really need to either get some perspective or start cheering for a team like the Falcons to remember what the fans of most NFL teams deal with. You've all gotten spoiled and it's going to your heads.

Last edited:

Vernon Gholston=Lawrence Taylor? Really?

Would you like to bet some money on that? I'll go out on a limb and predict he's not going to be as good as Lawrence Taylor.
I doubt any one will reach Lawrence Taylor's heights however Gholston will be a beast in the NFL.

Funny how the Steelers, Cowboys, and Chargers find linebackers and hybrids via the NFL Draft.

Funny how the Patriots have not won the Super since 2004, the last year Ted Johnson and Roman Phifer played inside linebacker for the New England Patriots because the Patriots have been ineffective replacing those two with young inside linebackers via the draft. You can be happy with trash like Monty Beisel, Chad Brown, Eric Alexander, and Tully Banta-Cain but I'm not.

Funny how Gholston had a better championship game than Mike Vrabel.
Has anyone ever told you that you have an odd sense of humor?

I doubt any one will reach Lawrence Taylor's heights however Gholston will be a beast in the NFL.

Since you are a draft mave, perhaps you can answer a question:

Have any high first-round picks not panned out? To my recollection it's happened a time or two.

Thanks,

PFnV

One sack does not equal a good game. Gholston got abused, along with the rest of his teammates.
So did Vrabel who only had one tackle all game. I guess the older players tend to run out of gas after 18 games.

Since you are a draft mave, perhaps you can answer a question:

Have any high first-round picks not panned out? To my recollection it's happened a time or two.

Thanks,

PFnV
Are you proposing that the Patriots trade all their draft picks for established players like the Washington Redskins?

So did Vrabel who only had one tackle all game. I guess the older players tend to run out of gas after 18 games.
Or maybe you just don't make snap judgements off a 1 game sample size if you want to seem intelligent.

Logan Mankins had maybe his worst game all year, guess he's too old and should retire. Clearly one bad game means he's too old. Cut him and draft a young LG in the 2nd round!

Last edited:

Or maybe you just don't make snap judgements off a 1 game sample size if you want to seem intelligent.

Logan Mankins had maybe his worst game all year, guess he's too old and should retire. Clearly one bad game means he's too old.
Tell that to the Vernon Gholston hater within this thread.

And now you've tossed in yet another red herring.

It's ok, we understand. Your argument has been crushed by reality, and you've only got nonsense like the above to fall back upon.

And now you've tossed in yet another red herring.

It's ok, we understand. Your argument has been crushed by reality, and you've only got nonsense like the above to fall back upon.
You can't have it both ways. Gholston produced better numbers in the championship game he played than Vrabel, yet he sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back