PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday [UPDATE: Reiss: It's Monday]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday

Pinning your hopes on a rookie for the 2008 season is laughable, especially one that's never played ILB in a 2 gap system before.
Tell that to Michigan's David Harris who is far better 3-4 inside linebacker than Chad Brown will ever hope to be.

Last edited:

Tell that to Michigan's David Harris who is far better 3-4 inside linebacker than Chad Brown will ever hope to be.

1.) David Harris' greatness resulted in a 4 win season. Thanks for helping me with my point about rookies.

2.) Chad Brown didn't start for the Patriots this past season. You really do like the red herrings, though, don't you?

Last edited:

2.) Chad Brown didn't start for the Patriots this past season. You really do like the red herrings, though, don't you?
Just like a recurring nightmare, Chad Brown ended up on the Patriots roster this past season at the expense of the Patriots 2007 fourth round draft pick Kareem Brown. I guess Corey Mays was a stellar inside linebacker as well? So where is the future at linebacker for the 2008 New England Patriots? Funny how the New York Giants could find inside linebackers during the 1980's via the NFL Draft without expending a first round pick. Tell me, where were all those 39 year old linebackers playing for the New York Giants when Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3410&type=team

1.) David Harris' greatness resulted in a 4 win season. Thanks for helping me with my point about rookies.

You're blaming David Harris for the Jets ineptitude? That makes sense.

Great argument since you refuse to acknowledge young inside linebacker talent.

No, I'm not blaming him at all. I'm simply pointing out that he didn't take that team to any great heights. What ATippett56 has said is that this Patriots team can't afford to go into next season with all these older players, as if this season, with its perfect regular season, didn't happen.

Last edited:

What ATippett56 has said is that this Patriots team can't afford to go into next season with all these older players, as if this season, with its perfect regular season, didn't happen.
Without winning the Super Bowl, this past season was a WASTE!

Just like a recurring nightmare, Chad Brown ended up on the Patriots roster this past season at the expense of the Patriots 2007 fourth round draft pick Kareem Brown. I guess Corey Mays was a stellar inside linebacker as well? So where is the future at linebacker for the 2008 New England Patriots? Funny how the New York Giants could find inside linebackers during the 1980's via the NFL Draft without expending a first round pick. Tell me, where were all those 39 year old linebackers playing for the New York Giants when Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3410&type=team

Funny you should mention that Giants team. Tell me something, who was the defensive coordinator again? Oh, yes, BB. And who's the head coach of the Patriots today? Oh, BB again. So, who seems to know what the hell he's doing in regards to linebackers?

Must be ATippett56, right?:rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that Giants team. Tell me something, who was the defensive coordinator again? Oh, yes, BB. And who's the head coach of the Patriots today? Oh, BB again. So, who seems to know what the hell he's doing in regards to linebackers?

Must be ATippett56, right?:rolleyes:
Answer the question:

Tell me, where were all those 39 year old linebackers playing for the New York Giants when Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...3410&type=team

Belichick has done a great job retooling the defensive line via the NFL draft. It's time the next level of the New England Patriots defense gets the same attention utilizing the aforementioned method.

Last edited:

With only 2 guys who contributed at LB last year, Vrabel and Thomas, a lock to return, there are spots for both young and experienced players to be brought in.

Zach Thomas will take a physical test during his visit.?

why do we have 33+ years old LB our team.?

Answer the question:

Tell me, where were all those 39 year old linebackers playing for the New York Giants when Bill Belichick was the defensive coordinator?

Belichick may have been the Giants coordinator, but back then he didn't have the power to choose those linebackers like he does now as head coach of the Patriots.

Answer the question:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...3410&type=team

Who cares? BB wasn't the head coach. Here, he's the head coach. Here, he prefers veteran linebackers. Here, he's been to 4 Super Bowls and won 3, to go along with an AFCCG loss. Since becoming the head coach of the Patriots, he's guided the most successful team in the league during that era. And, he's done it with old linebackers.

However, since you seem to think you know more than BB, let's look at that LB corps.

Hey, Harry Carson was 33 in the first SB win! After that, they didn't win again for 4 years, when LT was 31 years old. Hmm.....

So, having a player many consider the greatest linebacker of all time wasn't enough to get the job done in that 4 years? How is that possible? After all, he was young!

Belichick has done a great job retooling the defensive line via the NFL draft. It's time the next level of the New England Patriots defense gets the same attention utilizing the aforementioned method.

He has 'retooled' the entire team around youth with the exception of one position. That position has seen him repeatedly look for veterans to replace veterans, and this should tell you something. Belichick prefers veteran linebackers in his defense. Now, if L.T. were available in this draft, I'm sure BB would take him. I don't see L.T. there, do you?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3220690

Last edited:

So, having a player many consider the greatest linebacker of all time wasn't enough to get the job done in that 4 years? How is that possible? After all, he was young!
Some of the greatest single season NFL teams played in the 1980's but I guess you will completely ignore NFL history.

1984 49ers 15-1
1985 Bears 15-1
1989 49ers 14-2

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots try the Ponce de Leon approach at resolving holes at the linebacker position.

ATippett, you've characterized the previous season as a "waste."

A lot depends on context.

I believe this season was better than last season, in which we lost in the AFC championship, and better than the previous season, in which we lost in the divisional round. And I would take any playoff season over 2002, in which we missed the playoffs.

Further, I'd prefer 2002 to a 1-15 year, just for example.

So yes, you have to kick the ground and spit when you think of what might have been this year. But when you evaluate the health or lack thereof of the LB corps, making the point that the Pats had an outstanding, but finally flawed, season carries some weight.

To do otherwise is simply to call for every position to be overhauled every non-super bowl-winning year (shouldn't we start with that loser Brady?) :rolleyes:

PFnV

Now, if L.T. were available in this draft, I'm sure BB would take him. I don't see L.T. there, do you?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=3220690
Vernon Gholston or maybe you should watch college football since the Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker prospect destroyed the number one rated offensive tackle prospect in the 2008 NFL draft this past season.

Sign Zach, then trade a 3rd rounder for Taylor. Taylor will be crying after seeing his buddy sign with the Pats. This is a precurser to good things.

Some of the greatest single season NFL teams played in the 1980's but I guess you will completely ignore NFL history.

1984 49ers 15-1
1985 Bears 15-1
1989 49ers 14-2

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots try the Ponce de Leon approach at resolving holes at the linebacker position.

Do you even realize what you just posted?

2007 Patriots 16-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back