PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday [UPDATE: Reiss: It's Monday]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Larry Ridley: Zach Thomas visiting Pats on Sunday

Tell that to the Vernon Gholston hater within this thread.

Hmmm....

Vernon Gholston or maybe you should watch college football since the Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker prospect destroyed the number one rated offensive tackle prospect in the 2008 NFL draft this past season.

Would this be the same linebacker who got abused against LSU?

So, you pointed to one good game and I responded with one bad game. Somehow that's supposed to make me a "Vernon Gholston hater"?

Pure. Comedy. Gold.

Last edited:

Again, when evaluating personnel choices, consistently performing at a high level is worth quite a bit. 16-0, with a good defensive performance, is worth quite a bit. The Pats have one of the top 5 defenses in the league -- and if you want to argue the contrary, have at it, but I'll bet they still end up in the top, say, 8 defenses when you're done.

What's that mean? 3 out of 4 defenses are worse (more likely 5 out of 6.)

When you overhaul wholesale -- the approach suggested by the "Ring or Nothing" paradigm -- you take that top 1/4 defense and look at it as a bottom 31/32 defense, all of them being essentially equal.

So, the "16-0 regular season ain't worth a bucket of warm spit" comment, while fairly appropriate if we are, say, comparing dynasties, becomes utterly silly if we are evaluating consistent performance on the part of the team.

This was a good team that lost. We are trying to get better. ILB isn't a bad place to do it. It is not, however, necessary to embrace one poster's preference for this year's wonder-draftee, in order to support the notion that ILB should be addressed.

It is also not a logical conclusion that the Pats' LB corps lost them the Super Bowl, nor that the Pats' LB corps is horrible and must be radically rejiggered.

Upgrades are welcome. And if BB says Gholston is our man, then by God, Gholston is our man. I do believe, however, that Belichick's preferences in terms of addressing the LB position via free agency, will end up carrying the day in that regard.

We do not know how the draft wonders will transition. We simply do not. Nobody does. And the transition from college to pro is a good deal more important than different uses of a proven pro talent, even one who apparently is a "bad fit" like Zach Thomas. At least with ZT, you know he has certain skills and abilities proven at a pro level. Nobody in the NFL features spotty talent on a par with even the best college team (even the Falcons or the Jets.) Almost every pro looked great in college. Think about that.

Pinning hopes to the draft may make more sense at the OL positions than the LB position... or maybe the Pats just never saw the LB they wanted when it would be a value to take him. Either way, a bunch of fans' hard-ons for Gholston won't make a damn bit of difference, and it's a good thing it won't.

PFnV

Last edited:

Are you proposing that the Patriots trade all their draft picks for established players like the Washington Redskins?

Yeah of course, sure that's what I'm doing.

I like how we traded away that valuable fourth rounder for Randy Moss for example, then got him to play for 3M plus incentives.... "like the Washington Redskins."

I do prefer vets in a lot of ways... "like the Washington Redskins."

I do also prefer the NE Patriots' front office's approach: Show me that you're worth the money, and I will pay you the money. By the way, it's very nice if you take a bit of a cut in the name of the Ring you might get.

With the Redskins, by contrast, they pay you twice what you're worth, if you promise to be real, real good.

Yah. Brandon Lloyd = Randy Moss. Whatever you say. You're a disgrace to the real Andre Tippett.

PFnV

Hmmm....

So, you pointed to one good game and I responded with one bad game. Somehow that's supposed to make me a "Vernon Gholston hater"?

Pure. Comedy. Gold.
So Vernon Gholston only had one good game in his collegiate career? Get a clue!

I'll tell you what. When you're ready to actually read posts and respond with something that's actually taken thought, you get back to me.

You're a disgrace to the real Andre Tippett.

PFnV
You're completely clueless. Did I ever state cutting the following Patriots linebackers:

Rosevelt Colvin
Mike Vrabel
Adalius Thomas

No!

However, you need to compliment those three with young linebackers via the draft. It's called perpetuating the dynasty with young talent.

I'll tell you what. When you're ready to actually read posts and respond with something that's actually taken thought, you get back to me.
It's too bad you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah, everybody else is clueless. Gotcha :rolleyes:

PFnV

You may have the worst reading comprehension skills of anyone I've ever come across.

How you got that out of what he said or how you got "so you want us to become the Washington Redskins" out of what PFnV said is both ridiculous and amusing.

Keep entertaining me please. I need it, Sunday's are boring this time of year.

It's too bad you can't have your cake and eat it too.

It's too bad you can't read and respond with valid arguments. I never stated, nor implied, that Gholston had anything less than a stellar career. I simply countered your one game example with another game. You've already lost the argument, and now you're just flailing about like a dying fish.

And that must be where all your red herrings keep coming from.

Yeah, everybody else is clueless. Gotcha :rolleyes:

PFnV
Losing the Super Bowl is acceptable after previous season's collapse in the AFC Championship Game?

Has anyone heard, is ZT in Foxboro today or not? No mention of him visiting here today anywhere on the internet.

Good pick up if we do get him. He can replace Seau as that "I want a SuperBowl" mold IMO.

Last edited:

Thomas could help for a year or so, but the Pat's still need to get younger at that position.

I love the idea of getting Zach !

I would also see us trade a pick to Miami (our 3rd?) for Jason Taylor !

I'm not sure he was here today either, I haven't read or seen anything about it. Just heard on NFLN that he is visiting the Saints, Cowboys, Jets and Bills starting this Tuesday. Unless like usual with the Pats, they snuck Zach in under the cover of one of BB hoodies.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/zach_thomas_to.html

Zach Thomas to visit Pats
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 17, 2008 10:29 PM

Free-agent linebacker Zach Thomas, who was released by the Dolphins last Thursday, is scheduled to visit with Patriots officials at Gillette Stadium on Monday.

The 34-year-old Thomas has played his entire 12-year career with Miami. A seven-time Pro Bowler, he was limited to just five games last season due to concussions and migraines.

The Dolphins are undergoing a rebuilding project under executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells, general manager Jeff Ireland and head coach Tony Sparano, and with Thomas scheduled to make $5.65 million in 2008, that factored into the team’s decision to release him.

The 5-foot-11, 228-pound Thomas would project as a middle linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 alignment.

The NFL Network reported that Thomas has a visit to the Saints scheduled for tomorrow, while the Cowboys, Jets and Bills are also interested in meeting with him.

The Jets just want to pick his brain on his Pats meeting.

Have no clue why the Jets and Bills want to meet with him. He's stated already that he wants to play for a contender not a team re-building.

I love the idea of getting Zach !

I would also see us trade a pick to Miami (our 3rd?) for Jason Taylor !

I'd love to get Taylor as well. But let's be real Parcells is running the show in South Beach now and there's no way he'd let their most productive team icon walk to a division rival especially after Welker exploded in Foxboro. I have heard some rumors though that Taylor is unhappy in Miami so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back