PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of pass rush...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always love when people say there was a lack of a pass rush and then proceed to ignore the number of times that Flacco had to roll out to keep a play going. If he's moving out of the pocket, people, it''s because of the pass rush most of the time.

This was not a great game by our D-Line as they were dominated and with the threat of the run it was tough to blitz Collins/Hightower. This was a game that Brady showed why he is the greatest

I always love when people say there was a lack of a pass rush and then proceed to ignore the number of times that Flacco had to roll out to keep a play going. If he's moving outreach of the pocket, people, it''s because of the pass rush most of the time.

But but sacks.

Which to I say, how'd did Suggs and Dumervil do tonight. Can't remember if I even saw Dumervil and the only time I really saw Suggs was when they were talking him up or that half sack he had in the 1st half.

I always love when people say there was a lack of a pass rush and then proceed to ignore the number of times that Flacco had to roll out to keep a play going. If he's moving out of the pocket, people, it''s because of the pass rush most of the time.

Roll out and then easily complete a 15 yard pass because his receivers have now had 7+ seconds to get open, which Rodgers/Wilson would abuse even more.

It needs to get substantially better if we are to face either of those two QBs.

Why does Ninkovich get a free pass?

Why does Ninkovich get a free pass?

Ninko has been here a long time and he I don't recall him being a factor pass rush wise in any of our previous playoff games and I didn't really expect him to do much against an above average player in Marshall Yanda. I wanted Ayers to get more snaps but I am too happy with this roller coaster win to actually be disappointed about anything.

I thought that Ravens' o-line was ridiculously good. Still can't believe they ended up with James Hurst. Really wish we would have snagged him up in the later rounds of the draft as I thought he was a beast at North Carolina.

Every time I saw Chandler Jones, the LT had him in an NYPD-style choke hold. I guess the refs didn't see the same thing I saw, kind of like the grand jury...

Too soon? ;)

According to PFF, Ayers had one snap last night. Have to say, that's very disappointing considering the lack of pressure we were generating.

How was your 3.7 seconds of enjoyment over the win?

My biggest concern was the outside contain/coverage. Needs to be worked on this week and I'm positive it will.

The game plan seemed to be shutting down receivers, the reason Flacco took so much time is he was waiting for receivers to get open, and the "edge" had to do with contaiment..

Flacco is fairly quick with his feet, so the containing the "edge" was also a concern, the fallacy here is to extrapolate what they did last night to what they might do next Sunday and two weeks hence...

One game plan at a time..

Pretty stoked about the win. Yes, the lack of consistent pressure is a concern, but I'll take our overall defense every day. They were the difference in many games this year. This game was all about the offense battling back TWICE from 14 point deficits. Now the rust is off and I believe we see a marked improvement next week.

My biggest concern was the outside contain/coverage. Needs to be worked on this week and I'm positive it will.
100% agree. If we can't get a pass rush, regardless of the reason (holding or lack of healthful skilled rushers,) at least we should be able to contain? We had neither yesterday, at least in the first half.

Imagine how many yards Russel Wilson would have put on us yesterday...

Two things I must say. GET WILFORK off the field in passing downs. He does nothing but leans on the in lineman. And yes Jones played bad, hopefully this was just one game. Ayers needs to get more playtime

Have to say that I begrudgingly agree with the premise of this thread. Chandler really should have played better against a rookie LT. I don't know if anyone else notices this, but Chandler is horrible rushing the passer from a 2 point stance. He is usually able to generate more pressure when his hand is on the ground.

With that being said, perhaps he is still working his way back from the hip injury. Will need to generate a lot more pressure in the AFC title game!

I cannot believe that Ayers only played a couple snaps, if the poster I read that stat from is correct, the kid has been playing his heart out ever since we acquired him.

The defense looked noticeably different. Maybe rust from the bye week.

100% agree. If we can't get a pass rush, regardless of the reason (holding or lack of healthful skilled rushers,) at least we should be able to contain? We had neither yesterday, at least in the first half

I disagree with the lack of contain. I did not see the RB bounce to the outside even once. Plus the only reverse the Ravens ran was stopped for a 2 yard loss. The Pats sucks against the run, but it really wasn't an issue of lack of containment.

It's more about scheme than personnel - and has been that way for years with BB. He's never been that get-a-sack type of coach.

For years, I've been whining that the league has passed him by, that the QBs are too good, teh rules too favorable to receivers...for years!

And for years, he's made me look like the neophyte I am, as his teams, with different personnel over and over again win the division, get into the playoffs, the AFCCG, the SB...

Yeah, I wish the Pats would play aggressive D like Buffalo, Detroit, etc. - but I'd rather watch meaningful games in January and February...

If Indy wins, you can expect to see more of this type of contain-style pass rush. It's more about collapsing the pocket and keeping the QB inside the pocket.

Against a traditional pocket passer (Manning/Brady) you would have seen a much more uncomfortable looking QB.

But constantly seeing the Ravens with 2nd and 5 or 2nd and 3 was annoying. But, you know the other team has playmakers and they get paid to win as well. I think any disappointment (for me) with the DL was thinking we could make them pay dearly for having 2 rookies in the Ravens OLine.

All in all, the D came up and made enough stops and I don't expect Revis to have 2 penalties that really alter the flow of the game (and trust me this isn't a complaint about Revis as he's still the best).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents