PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of interior OL help

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're looking for a one-year "keep Cannon's spot warm" player, Brian Waters and Leonard Davis are out there.

Dante U. is the best and most cost effective way of filling your backup lineman roles. If they develop enough to start when called upon (Neal, Gorin, Ashworth, Hochstein, Connolly), that is a bonus. You can still draft your starters in the top 100...my ideal in 2012 would be:
LT - Solder 1st
LG - Mankins 1st
C - Ben Jones 2nd
RG - Cannon 5th (should have been top 100)
RT - Vollmer 2nd

Connolly, LeVoir, Wendell and Ohrnberger will likely have graduated by then, but Austin (needed to get stronger), Maneri (position convert) and others will take their place. All for minimal salaries. All highly motivated to prove themselves when they get the change. Seems like a solid plan to me.

It's at least a cost effective solution for the back half of your offensive line. You've got real problems if you have to start a lot of Dante U grads at once due to injuries to your talented players (2005 ring a bell anyone?), and you're only going to get a quality starter once in a blue moon (Neal), but it's a pretty good option for your backups.

Will this OL run-block well this year?This team needs to go back to smash mouth football and not become so damn finesse on the offensive side of the ball especially with the offensive line.

Is Cannon on PUP? I didn't see him listed there and he is signed. Doesn't he either have to be active or active/PUP?

Will this OL run-block well this year?This team needs to go back to smash mouth football and not become so damn finesse on the offensive side of the ball especially with the offensive line.

Since it looks like it'll be the exact same line as last year they'll probably run-block about as well as they did last year.

Not sure if you think that's good or bad; I think they were quite good run blocking.

I thought Cannon would Ride PUP all year? Or are we seriously entertaining putting him on the 6 or 8 week PUP and using him after his stint? (idk if that shortened PUP is 6 or 8 weeks?)

I really thought Cannon was a no go this yr.? I figured our medical red tape would quarantine him to this team, since other teams could not claim him off our practice squad. He has a viable PUP excuse written all over him. No way do we expect him on team this yr. Or am I totally wrong?

Do you know how PUP works?

I think we should kick the tires on Brian Waters.

Still think he's got some gas left in the tank. Had a good year for KC last year. Could maybe start at RG for us or at least give Connolly a run for his money. If nothing else, he'd be solid depth if Mankins/Connolly were to go down.

The team's got a problem at RG and with G/C depth. I'm sure BB knows that, and I'm sure he's looking for ways to address it.

They just signed Morris as a backup C/G. What more do we want? Can't have all-pros at every position and Connolly was more than adequate in the regular season. We've had pro bowl OL players look lost in the postseason before - see Logan Mankins.

They just signed Morris as a backup C/G. What more do we want? Can't have all-pros at every position and Connolly was more than adequate in the regular season. We've had pro bowl OL players look lost in the postseason before - see Logan Mankins.

A better starting right guard, which would move Connolly to the backup slot where he belongs.

A better starting right guard, which would move Connolly to the backup slot where he belongs.

Send BB the memo. I'm sure he'll bring it to the top of the list where it belongs. :rolleyes:

Dan Connolly is not a starting quality guard. He never has been, which is why he was brought to the team to be a back-up. It's also why he was a third stringer last year, behind a guy who was trying to make the conversion RT to LG. We've addressed a lot of areas this offseason, and look to be a strong team once again, but Brady's weakness is pressure up the gut. Putting an undersized Koppen (who generally struggles with bigger NT's, like the ones we see in the division) next to a guy who you'd ideally want as a back-up with Brady's lack of mobility is a potential recipe for disaster.

Send BB the memo. I'm sure he'll bring it to the top of the list where it belongs. :rolleyes:

You asked the question "What more do we want?". I answered it. If you don't want a response, don't ask the question.

Well, that's why BB drafted Cannon. He's the long term solution at RG. A massive man who was nimble/athletic enough to play tackle in college, kind of like John Jerry on the Dolphins.

I think BB expects that, if healthy enough and conditioned well-enough, Cannon can be a first year starter like John Jerry was. We've still got another month until the season even starts, and Cannon has already been seen at practice with the conditioning staff. He finished treatments about a month ago and is on his way back.

I'm not saying he will be ready as a day one starter, but I fully expect him to contribute this year, and I think BB does too. BB is probably thinking he can start the season off with Connolly at RG and survive the first half of the season if need be, and he can work Cannon into the mix as the season goes on. If he's healthy and gets a grasp of the playbook, I could see Cannon taking over for Connolly as the starter in the second half of the season.

There's still some risk in going with a Cannon/Connolly duo. Connolly is more of a backup, Cannon is no sure thing with his health/short time to learn the offensive scheme and techniques. That's why I'd like to see them bring in a vet like Brian Waters. He's not the same player he was in his prime when Larry Johnson was running wild, but he's still a good player. He's probably an upgrade over Connolly and is great insurance in case Cannon doesn't make an impact this year. If nothing else, he's great depth in case a starting guard goes down.

Well, that's why BB drafted Cannon. He's the long term solution at RG. A massive man who was nimble/athletic enough to play tackle in college, kind of like John Jerry on the Dolphins.

I think BB expects that, if healthy enough and conditioned well-enough, Cannon can be a first year starter like John Jerry was. We've still got another month until the season even starts, and Cannon has already been seen at practice with the conditioning staff. He finished treatments about a month ago and is on his way back.

I'm not saying he will be ready as a day one starter, but I fully expect him to contribute this year, and I think BB does too. BB is probably thinking he can start the season off with Connolly at RG and survive the first half of the season if need be, and he can work Cannon into the mix as the season goes on. If he's healthy and gets a grasp of the playbook, I could see Cannon taking over for Connolly as the starter in the second half of the season.

There's still some risk in going with a Cannon/Connolly duo. Connolly is more of a backup, Cannon is no sure thing with his health/short time to learn the offensive scheme and techniques. That's why I'd like to see them bring in a vet like Brian Waters. He's not the same player he was in his prime when Larry Johnson was running wild, but he's still a good player. He's probably an upgrade over Connolly and is great insurance in case Cannon doesn't make an impact this year. If nothing else, he's great depth in case a starting guard goes down.

It all comes down to efficiency and utilizing cap space. Connolly has been more than adequate starting double digit games in 2010. Can Cannon be an upgrade down the road? Sure. But I don't think BB is in any hurry to find out. The rookie will need time to acclimate. But once he does he can start to contribute backup minutes. The same people who are ripping Connolly and dismissing him after a solid 2010 are the same kind of people who clamored for BJGE to get cut. etc.

Some people are just never satisfied. But with a finite amount of cap space there's a point where you've got to say - this is good enough, and we DO have backup plans in case of injury thanks to Dante's awesome coaching up of the reserves. It always sounds nice to add more veterans but those guys cost money, and they count against the cap. We'd all like a perfect team with pro bowl linemen up and down from left to right, but it ain't gonna happen in a salary cap world or unless you're the Philadelphia Eagles apparently. :p

Anyone else notice the teams lack of urgency at backing up the G/C position this crazy offseason?? Sure Mankins is franchised and Connolly is back but Neal retired and we arent exactly deep at that position to begin with. Did I miss anyone being snuck into camp? Are we expecting guys like Ohrny to step up? Wouldnt it be smart to have leverage against Mankins when negotiating by having a suitable backup? Competition that gets cut in camp...there seems to be at many positions but not so much here. Does the Light signing mean that Solder could backup at G too? What gives?

Like so many other threads you have started, you have chosen to outright ignore facts. And, in doing so, it just hammers home that the idea you are some sort of "scientist" is just laughable.

1) The Pats drafted Marcus Cannon, who is slated to be a GUARD.
2) The Pats brought back Thomas Austin who spent the entire year on the practice squad. He is another GUARD.
3) The Pats also signed Mike Berry (whom they have since released) and Jonathan Compas (whom they added the day that Compas was released). Compas is a C/G.
4) The Pats signed Chris Morris (C/G).

What you are either failing to comprehend or not acknowledging is that any further addition would be fighting for a BACK-UP position. Guys like Rich Seubert may still be looking for a starting job. Or they may have salary/commitment demands that the Patriots just aren't willing to meet at this time. Or, god forbid, the Patriots just might not feel they are a good fit for the team.

Last edited:
Am I the only one uncomfortable with TB being 1 snap away from having Connolly and Wendell as starting Gs?? For all those rallying for Mankins(not me)and the "importance" of this position it just doesnt seem like a priority. Sure we can grab a late cut from another team but isnt the idea of OL play continuity? For all those counting on Cannon at G....Dante U. hasnt even accepted the guy yet.

And there we have it. The irrational expectations come out, at last.

1) The Pats are 1 snap away from Brian Hoyer being the starter. Why don't you start a thread about that :rolleyes:

2) Just because you aren't able to comprehend where the Patriots hold the guard position in terms of priority doesn't mean they are incompetent. It just means that you don't have enough information to be able to make the claims you are.

3) As for counting on Cannon at Guard. That's the position he was drafted to play. He's 1st round talent that fell to the 5th round because of the Non-Hodgkins Lymphona diagnosis. Guess what. He's still 1st round talent. Very similar to Mankins. Any reasonable person would look at him and be able to acknowledge that.

But then, I forgot. You were the one calling him FAT and claiming he needed to lose 50lbs before he'd even be able to play at the Pro Level. And that was without ever having seen the guy.

Dan Connolly is not a starting quality guard. He never has been, which is why he was brought to the team to be a back-up. It's also why he was a third stringer last year, behind a guy who was trying to make the conversion RT to LG. We've addressed a lot of areas this offseason, and look to be a strong team once again, but Brady's weakness is pressure up the gut. Putting an undersized Koppen (who generally struggles with bigger NT's, like the ones we see in the division) next to a guy who you'd ideally want as a back-up with Brady's lack of mobility is a potential recipe for disaster.
Most people, including Belichick, don't care what Connolly's status was in training camp last year. He proved himself to be a starting-quality guard on one of the best offensive lines in football in 2010. That's why they chose to start him over the other guys they had, and why he continued start at RG after Mankins returned and Neal went to IR.

If you don't think he's starting quality, that's fine, but a lot of people will disagree with you and have good reason to. He's a good run blocker and an adequate pass blocker. He might not be ideal, but "ideal" is having five clones of John Hannah as your OL.

Dan got the job done for 16 games, and that equates to "starting quality" in my opinion.

Last edited:
It all comes down to efficiency and utilizing cap space. Connolly has been more than adequate starting double digit games in 2010. Can Cannon be an upgrade down the road? Sure. But I don't think BB is in any hurry to find out. The rookie will need time to acclimate. But once he does he can start to contribute backup minutes. The same people who are ripping Connolly and dismissing him after a solid 2010 are the same kind of people who clamored for BJGE to get cut. etc.

Some people are just never satisfied. But with a finite amount of cap space there's a point where you've got to say - this is good enough, and we DO have backup plans in case of injury thanks to Dante's awesome coaching up of the reserves. It always sounds nice to add more veterans but those guys cost money, and they count against the cap. We'd all like a perfect team with pro bowl linemen up and down from left to right, but it ain't gonna happen in a salary cap world or unless you're the Philadelphia Eagles apparently. :p

Oddly enough, it's not just a few people here on Patsfans.com who have concerns about Connolly. It was being spoken about on the radio, as well.

I'm sure that's just a million to one coincidence, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft