PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lack of interior OL help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Light has said on multiple occasions on WEEI that he is a left-side lineman. There is no chance he is moving to the right side. There are backups here, Wendell, Ojinnaka and Orhnberger.

I completely agree on Light. You can't just take a career-long LT and plug him in at RG without even a training camp. But as for the "backups," Wendell is injured and hasn't practiced since July and Ojinnaka is a St. Louis Ram. It's very thin on the interior line.

I completely agree on Light. You can't just take a career-long LT and plug him in at RG without even a training camp. But as for the "backups," Wendell is injured and hasn't practiced since July and Ojinnaka is a St. Louis Ram. It's very thin on the interior line.

Todd Steussie and Jason Fabini did it, Bruce Matthews went from LT to RG in the late eighties. Leonard Davis made the switch from LT and went to 3 straight pro bowls at RG. Tarik Glenn and Flozell Adams started out as RG's and played LT the rest of their careers. Larry Allen was a pro bowler at LT the one year he switched from RG. It's not an impossible switch, Left Tackle is the more difficult position to play.

Todd Steussie and Jason Fabini did it, Bruce Matthews went from LT to RG in the late eighties. Leonard Davis made the switch from LT and went to 3 straight pro bowls at RG. Tarik Glenn and Flozell Adams started out as RG's and played LT the rest of their careers. Larry Allen was a pro bowler at LT the one year he switched from RG. It's not an impossible switch, Left Tackle is the more difficult position to play.

It's certainly not impossible long-term. But the suggestion was to simply move Light from LT to RG mid-season, the minute Solder is ready to start. That seems like an unrealistic expectation to me.

It's certainly not impossible long-term. But the suggestion was to simply move Light from LT to RG mid-season, the minute Solder is ready to start. That seems like an unrealistic expectation to me.

Yup. Maybe if you have some injuries and the choice is Light at LT and Ohrnberger at RG or Solder at LT and Ohnrberger at RG then I could see it but only if they've dug into the depth chart a while.

Plus if Light is playing well at LT they won't move him even if they think Solder _could_ be better.

Light has said on multiple occasions on WEEI that he is a left-side lineman. There is no chance he is moving to the right side. There are backups here, Wendell, Ojinnaka and Orhnberger.

And what about Cannon. Is he even PUPed? If not, why do we assume he is not going to play. I understand that cancer is serious, serious business, but if they guy can practice, he can play.

And when he does, he will be a BEAST
I completely agree with you on Cannon. He could very well be a better player than the so far lackluster Das-I.

But you neglect--like many fans--the acquisition of Chris Morris, who can play center or guard. It was ridiculous he was drafted so low, the seventh round, six years ago. He had lots of experience at Michigan State.

And he has 11 career starts. He's smart. And though he might not be as good as the excellent Koppen at calling the pass blocking schemes, though he had lots of brain farts in the pitiful playoff game last year, he's a little better at taking on the hulking NTs.

Chris Morris means OBurger is toast. And that Ajinka guy from Atlanta. With Ryan Wendell apparently injured, Morris is the second string center.

Get to know him, folks.

Any free agent linemen better be very smart and experienced and versatile. A lot of these big name guys don't fit the bill.

But you neglect--like many fans--the acquisition of Chris Morris, who can play center or guard. It was ridiculous he was drafted so low, the seventh round, six years ago. He had lots of experience at Michigan State.

And he has 11 career starts. He's smart. And though he might not be as good as the excellent Koppen at calling the pass blocking schemes, though he had lots of brain farts in the pitiful playoff game last year, he's a little better at taking on the hulking NTs.

Chris Morris means OBurger is toast. And that Ajinka guy from Atlanta. With Ryan Wendell apparently injured, Morris is the second string center.

Count me as one praying for a return to health for Morris. He's been on the sidelines with Wendell, which is why the position looks so dicey right now. (Ojinnaka has never been part of this camp.)

So either Koppen is asked to play the entire preseason game, or it's Ohrnberger -- who has never seemed comfortable snapping the ball -- in front of Hoyer and Mallett, with a bunch of undisciplined young camp fodder desperate to make an impression on the league bearing down on him.

:scared:

There was no right hand side experiment 2 years ago, The only right side experience Light had was in 2001 and it was Right Tackle not Right Guard. I doubt they would move Mankins from LG but if they had to out of necessity to accommodate Light than so be it. The point would be to have the 5 best players on the line.

Light did in fact play at RT as Bruiz has also stated and it isnt often he agrees with me, lol. The first game of the year we experimented with an unbalanced line(Buffalo I think), Vollmer was LT but Light looked like a fish out of water on the right hand side. Mankins likely still makes too much money for their liking and moving him(trade/cut/whatever)I think is still in the cards. I agree with the 5 best players, those players would change without Mankins.

Light did in fact play at RT as Bruiz has also stated and it isnt often he agrees with me, lol. The first game of the year we experimented with an unbalanced line(Buffalo I think), Vollmer was LT but Light looked like a fish out of water on the right hand side. Mankins likely still makes too much money for their liking and moving him(trade/cut/whatever)I think is still in the cards. I agree with the 5 best players, those players would change without Mankins.

You think there's a chance they might cut Mankins?

This is the single dumbest thing that's ever been said on this website.

(Ojinnaka has never been part of this camp.)

So either Koppen is asked to play the entire preseason game, or it's Ohrnberger -- who has never seemed comfortable snapping the ball -- in front of Hoyer and Mallett, with a bunch of undisciplined young camp fodder desperate to make an impression on the league bearing down on him.
Thanks. Yeah, I just remembered that, too. It's not easy keeping the names straight with this revolving door.

Hopefully it's just a minor ankle sprain for Morris, letting him play Thursday.

I can see Light possibly shifting to LG but the Light on the right hand side experiment 2 years ago failed miserably as BB even noted.

There was no right hand side experiment 2 years ago, The only right side experience Light had was in 2001 and it was Right Tackle not Right Guard. I doubt they would move Mankins from LG but if they had to out of necessity to accommodate Light than so be it. The point would be to have the 5 best players on the line.

Light was at RT which is different than RG..

You said right side, that he played there 2 years ago and that he failed miserably. DaBruinz only said "Light was at RT which is different than RG" which is the same thing I said.

If this unbalanced line even happened, which I don't recall it did. Is that really an accurate sample of Light's right side experience?

No way Mankins gets traded, you started this thread because of lack of interior OL help and you think they would trade Mankins? Signing Mankins to a long term contract would be a more likely scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back