PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could 8 OL suffice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As always, there will be competition among position groups to fit onto the 53. That raises the question of where it's OK to squeak by a bit short-handed.

Solder, Vollmer, and Cannon are all under contract for a while, and some of the interior OL have of course played OT before, so perhaps 3 OTs would be enough. I'd of course be happier with that idea if Vollmer hadn't had a run of injury issues, or if Mankins had lasted longer when he subbed at LT, but one can't have perfect depth everywhere.

3 OT also assumes the Pats are comfortable with Cannon as backup RT and Vollmer as backup LT.

5 interior OL usually suffices, especially as Connolly and McDonald have a lot of position flexibility.

8 OL isn't ideal, but we have to skimp somewhere ...

I expect one or two of the UDFAs to stick on the practice squad and be there in case of injury.

Elvis Fisher is more of a lean outside guy at this point and is coming off a knee injury, so he might be more of a developmental guy. He was a team capatin both of his last two years
Elvis Fisher, OT, Missouri, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Elvis Fisher Profile - MUTIGERS.COM - The University of Missouri Official Athletic Site

Matt Stankiewitch has been a solid Center:
Matt Stankiewitch Draft Profile

Josh Klein is kind of intriguing to me as he played all 5 O-line positions though guard and center seem to be his NFL niche:

Kent State lineman Josh Kline hopes to hear name in NFL Draft | cleveland.com

you're ignoring svitek as the backup lt

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

You've also ignored Zusevics who is supposedly a swing tackle..

I could see 8 if Vollmer were 100% healthy.

LT- Solder
LG- Mankins
C- Wendell
RG- Connolly
RT- Vollmer

T/G- Cannon
C/G- McDonald
T- Svitek/Zusevics

All depends on health though and I don't see Vollmer and Mankins being 100% all season.

We've gone with 8 in the past. You can do this if one of your backups is on the Practice Squad. Obviously, this is limiting and problematic.

This year we have

Vollmer, Solder, Cannon,, Svitek
Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, McDonald, Zusevics

If we have 9 veterans, then I think that we should keep 9 on the 53.

For me, while I understand that we need to skimp somewhere, protecting Brady should not be where we skimp.

BTW, I suspect that we will sign another veteran OL for camp competition.

Given the injury history of Volmer, Mankins (the last 2 years) and Connolly, I don't think you can go with less than 9. The only possibility I can see of going with 8 is if you can sneak 2 guys on the PS who you think are good enough to start an NFL game.

If we "skimp" anywhere, my guess is that it will be at RB and DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST