PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Patriots have expressed interest in LJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, can we give all the 'is he/isn't he a racist' comments a timeout and stick to whether or not this guy will be a Pat?

QB12

OK forget the racist stuff, the guy has other issues, and they are well documented....
Don't you think Mira cares that he spits on women?

According to Johnson, all African American athletes and coaches do. To think that all people from the same race have the same background, beliefs, and understandings just because of their race is racist.

Nope, he never said that. "Many young black athletes" is not "All African American athletes." He said the former, not the latter.

OK forget the racist stuff, the guy has other issues, and they are well documented....

Mira probably objected to Dillon and Moss ... Bob bought her some more jewelry.

Sorry, not taking the bait. See 'ya.

QB12

I'll give it a rest.

The charge of racism had to be at least questioned, but I said enough. he can have the last word.

If people scroll back to one week ago, I was the first one putting up a thread on his comments blasting Haley. I called Johnson an embarrassment who had disgraced my alma mater. I do think he's embarrassing.

I think Mira cares that he's a ****ty running back.

Apparently, you missed his interview with Cris Carter on Inside the NFL a few years back where he said white caoches can't tell black players how to lives because they hate it since they don't know what they are about and their background. He hated Vermeil because he was a white coach telling him how to live his life at least that is what he basically said in his interview. It could be that he just didn't like Vermeil, but in 2006 he said the reason why he liked to play for Herm and didn't like to play for Vermeil is because Herm is black and Vermeil is white.

Without, again, trying to say anything political, Jim Brown on BB:

"Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times – financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly."

On the question of who has more influence over Robert Kraft (Son Jonathan or Wife Mira (sp?)) I'm reminded of the saying where I come from, which translated from Spanish, means:

A skirt has more pull than a herd of oxen.

QB12

Last edited:
So discrimination based on race doesn't exist?

Isn't that the major complaint of black people when it comes to these things?

If you think it exists, then it's something to complain about. If it doesn;t exist, then black people are crying wolf.

I'm around enough white people to know that it does exist, despite your experiences of a race-blind society.

Of course it exists. So does xenophobia, homophobia, ect...

My point was that racists on any side are fundamentally flawed human beings. They lack either the vision or the self-confidence to view people for who they are. Is what I said really that controversial?

Of course it exists. So does xenophobia, homophobia, ect...

My point was that racists on any side are fundamentally flawed human beings. They lack either the vision or the self-confidence to view people for who they are. Is what I said really that controversial?

No, not controversial at all. I just didn't see your ultimate point in what I read.

......For 2.3 mil you can get a hard running, pounding RB like Dillon to help run out the clock.....

Just to be clear, since we're even having this discussion, it means that no one claimed Johnson off waivers.

So KC is stuck paying him the rest of his 2009 salary, and, if Johnson gets a job offer, he gets to keep whatever money anyone might be willing to pay him the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Sorry, not taking the bait. See 'ya.

QB12

I didn't even put a hook on the line.......;)

I actually wasn't trying to bait you, what I said was the truth, and transgressions against Women seem to have SLIGHTLY ;) more weight attached to them.

Nope, he never said that. "Many young black athletes" is not "All African American athletes." He said the former, not the latter.

He said "we", not many or all. He also grouped all white coaches in one group and all black coaches in another group. You can try to excuse his racist comments by whatever semamntics you want. But he is pretty clear that he feels black coaches are superior to white coaches in dealing with black athletes.

Here is what he said again:

"The one thing we hate is to have somebody who is not African-American come in and say, 'You've got to do this,'" Johnson said. "No matter how you put it, it looks like you're telling me what to do and you don't know where I'm from and what I've got to live through."

So whether he is talking that all black athletes are racist or many black athletes are racist, the racist part of his comments is that he doesn't believe than someone who isn't African American has the right to tell him how to live live his live off the field, but someone African-American can. Again, he is saying one group of people are qualified to do something based solely on their race and not anything else and another group of people aren't based solely on their race and nothing else.

Last edited:
Without, again, trying to say anything political, Jim Brown on BB:

I don't know how that is relevant. James Brown isn't saying anything racist. It could be considered boarderline, but he isn't saying black athletes are superior in some way than Belichick because he is white.

I don't know how that is relevant. James Brown isn't saying anything racist. It could be considered boarderline, but he isn't saying black athletes are superior in some way than Belichick because he is white.

My only point is that BB might actually understand where LJ is coming from. Maybe not in the same way as someone that's lived that life, but he's not coming from an ivory tower (in the metaphorical sense) perspective, either.

My only point is that BB might actually understand where LJ is coming from. Maybe not in the same way as someone that's lived that life, but he's not coming from an ivory tower (in the metaphorical sense) perspective, either.

I guess I was thinking you were arguing with me. If not, I apologize.

What you are saying backs my point. I am not saying a white coach can't understand where a black athlete is coming from. Larry Johnson is saying they can't. My overall point is that many coaches no matter there race come from very different backgrounds and experiences. To say only a black coach can understand the life of a black athlete is racist.

Also, Herm Edwards was a military brat. Even as a black man, he most likely did not have the same experiences that Johnson had when he said he prefered African-American coachers because black athletes lifestyle as he described right here:

""They hadn't been in a situation as a young, black athlete and know what we had to go through when we go out," Johnson told interviewer Cris Carter about the previous coaching staff under **** Vermeil. "We like to go out. We like to have fun, but then you have to worry about the guy around the corner with the gun. You've got to worry about this girl on the block. You've got to worry about your parents, your homeboys taking advantage of you. So many things you have to worry about being a young, black athlete. And to be able to have a father like mine and a coach like Herm, I was able to escape a lot of those realities and find myself in a new ray of light." "

This statement is racist in itself in that Johnson assumes that every black athlete lives the gansta lifestyle and a white athlete or coach could not have a similiar background. I am sure many black athletes in professional sports had middle class and upper middle class backgrounds and many white players and coaches came from poor backgrounds.

If that's what you consider to be racist, you're being way too sensitive. LJ is speaking the truth. As a white guy, I have no idea what it's like to be black.

And no, you can't have the same experience as a black person being white. Yes, you can certainly experience the same economic difficulties, but I'm pretty sure the hard part of being black also involves prejudice. Chances are that unless you grew up in another country, or deep in the inner city, you didn't experience the same level of prejudice in our society for being white as a black guy may have.

"Racist" is when you claim another race is inferior to yours, or when you tell someone they can't be in your place of business because of their skin color, or blah blah blah.

I find that we white people as a whole are even more sensitive about race than blacks are. You say one thing that can even be remotely interpreted as negative toward whites and people start screaming pointing, "SEE? SEE? Blacks are racist, too!"

It's almost as if we are trying to excuse the behavior of our ancestors by pointing out that blacks can be prejudiced, too.

Come on now, it's all in the past. LJ should have known better than to speak so frankly about issues of race.

Also, it's not a coach's job to understand where his players are coming from--he's there to make them better players, nothing else. So while I don't agree with LJ's comments, I think calling them racist is a little a ridiculous.

He said "we", not many or all. He also grouped all white coaches in one group and all black coaches in another group. You can try to excuse his racist comments by whatever semamntics you want. But he is pretty clear that he feels black coaches are superior to white coaches in dealing with black athletes.

Here is what he said again:

So whether he is talking that all black athletes are racist or many black athletes are racist, the racist part of his comments is that he doesn't believe than someone who isn't African American has the right to tell him how to live live his live off the field, but someone African-American can. Again, he is saying one group of people are qualified to do something based solely on their race and not anything else and another group of people aren't based solely on their race and nothing else.
Hahaha, that's a hell of a stretch. I'm white. Where do I need to go to "qualify" to speak to black people about what it's like to be black? Is there a university for this? I mean, you're treating it like LJ rejected a white guy for a job. He's not excluding people. That's not even close to what he said.

What he's saying is that only a black person can truly understand where another black person is coming from. That's true. I can sympathize with a black guy, maybe even empathize, but I can never say I shared the experience of being black with him. I feel that's what Larry Johnson is saying.

What's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye