PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Patriots have expressed interest in LJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF Johnson is concerned about playing for a white coach that has no appreciation for what it's like being black then maybe he'll appreciate BB's work with Jim Brown and the inner city black kids program that BB is/was involved with?

This makes about as much sense as Jeff Garcia. Only if Morris AND Taylor are not coming back is this even considered.

IF Johnson is concerned about playing for a white coach that has no appreciation for what it's like being black then maybe he'll appreciate BB's work with Jim Brown and the inner city black kids program that BB is/was involved with?

When he signs with another team and does nothing because he is washed up. I hope someone asks him about it.

This makes about as much sense as Jeff Garcia. Only if Morris AND Taylor are not coming back is this even considered.

I agree. How many players do the Pats rumored to be very interested in and never sign before we stop getting duped by these rumors.

what a bunch of haters geesh! If Belichick thinks he can play and that he can get him to shut his mouth then Larry Johnson will be a Patriot! plain and simple!!!! Dont hate somebody because they use the same kind of language that most of you do! Oh that's right I forgot Pro Athletes are held to a higher standdard, but they are still human! The man appologized for what he said let him move on with his life!

Just coming back might not be good enough however. In Morris, and especially Taylor, we are not talking about spring chickens who are the embodiment of good health. Who knows what lies in store for them upon their expected return?

what a bunch of haters geesh! If Belichick thinks he can play and that he can get him to shut his mouth then Larry Johnson will be a Patriot! plain and simple!!!! Dont hate somebody because they use the same kind of language that most of you do! Oh that's right I forgot Pro Athletes are held to a higher standdard, but they are still human! The man appologized for what he said let him move on with his life!

Ummm.... I hate him because he uses hateful language I would never use. Tell me how long you would keep your job if they found out you were tweeting homophobic statements or telling everyone in public that you hate your boss because he/she is another race and you hate when he/she were telling you what to do. Or if you were arrested multiple times for asaulting women.

I am trying to hold up athletes to the same standards as regular people. I would never hire someone who was openly racist or homophobic or had a long criminal record for abusing women. Why would I want someone like that on my favorite football team.

I am not being a hypocrite. I wonder if people who say they don't care about his past can say the same.

BTW, playing in the NFL is not a right, it is a privelige. Johnson has done so many bad things in recent years without really paying a price, I personally think he lost that privilege.

Last edited:
LaCanfora said on Total Access tonight that the Texans are clearly the frontrunner, with the Patriots and a third team (I forget which) also interested. Said things would have to totally break down with Houston though for LJ not to end up there.

QB12

Ummm.... I hate him because he uses hateful language I would never use. Tell me how long you would keep your job if they found out you were tweeting homophobic statements or telling everyone in public that you hate your boss because he/she is another race and you hate when he/she were telling you what to do. Or if you were arrested multiple times for asaulting women.

I am trying to hold up athletes to the same standards as regular people. I would never hire someone who was openly racist or homophobic or had a long criminal record for abusing women. Why would I want someone like that on my favorite football team.

I am not being a hypocrite. I wonder if people who say they don't care about his past can say the same.

Very sensible. I agree with this very much.

do_not_want_cat.jpg

The guy is a racist cancer and I suspect this is all a smokescreen. Think about it. If Pioli and Co. let him go and decided that he wasn't worth the trouble then why would Belichick?

BTW, playing in the NFL is not a right, it is a privelige. Johnson has done so many bad things in recent years without really paying a price, I personally think he lost that privilege.

But it's not up to you to decide what privilege LJ should be afforded. Just like it wasn't up to any of us in here to decide that the crack dealing Dillon didn't deserve the privilege for playing for the Pats. Not sure how many ethically and morally responsible fans gave up their Pats fandom over the Dillon signing!

Now Schefter is eliminating Houston as a landing spot:

Report: Texans favorites for Larry Johnson | ProFootballTalk.com

If LaCanfora is correct, that leaves the Pats and the Skins.

QB12

veteran minimum it is ...

My opinion of all of this is that I think Belichick believes every human deserves a chance.

As far as what LJ has said ... well, that could have been to shoot his way out of town.

Assaulting women concerns me ... but ... everything goes back to everyone deserves a chance theory.

Last edited:
Pass. A woman beating, racist, homophobe who's best years are behind him and even when he was good it was in part because he was running behind one of the best o-lines in league history.

Couldn't agree more.

But it's not up to you to decide what privilege LJ should be afforded. Just like it wasn't up to any of us in here to decide that the crack dealing Dillon didn't deserve the privilege for playing for the Pats. Not sure how many ethically and morally responsible fans gave up their Pats fandom over the Dillon signing!

I said it was my opinion.

Dillon was not nearly as bad as Johnson, but I think Dillon is a scum and never rooted for him. I wouldn't give up my fandom if the Pats signed him, they already had Dave Meggett on the roster who is far worse than Johnson. I wouldn't be happy about it though.

It is moot anyway since it seems very unlikely Johnson will come here. If he is going to Houston, it is probably likely the Pats were really not that interested anyway since the Pats give him a better shot to play and make the playoffs.

'
This is a no brainer in my opinion....you have Taylor who is most likely not coming back.....Morris will be back but at what level and how long til he gets hurt again....and Maroney has history of injuries......For 2.3 mil you can get a hard running, pounding RB like Dillon to help run out the clock.....Dillon had a bad attitude when he came here as we all know......so did Moss.....both have become/became great Patriots.......Johnson could be huge for this offense IMHO.......he and Maroney could be a powerful 1-2......if he f's up and starts mouthing off....you cut him...very little to lose in the scheme of things. Pats would be foolish to not be the ones to give the guy another chance.....

ESPN.com: Page 2 : Not as simple as black or white

Imagine Peyton Manning saying this about Dungy or Jim Caldwell? BTW, he said other things, but that was the most racist thing I could find.

If that's racist, then all posters on this board are hyenas.

He wasn't talking about the football field. He was talking about their personal lives. You're taking this quote completely out of context. It was clear what he was talking about: "The one thing we hate is to have somebody who is not African-American come in and say, 'You've got to do this,'" Johnson said. "No matter how you put it, it looks like you're telling me what to do and you don't know where I'm from and what I've got to live through."

He's not saying he won't listen to ****'s orders on the football field. He's saying that as a black guy, Herm had knowledge and experience about what his black athletes were going through when they are out in public or in their lives, he was more in tune with that aspect than an old white guy like **** could be. That's racism? Please. If this were about **** giving orders on the football field, I'd agree with you, but it's not. Saying a black coach holds more weight when it comes to guiding a black player in his personal life should not be so shocking to you. In fact, compare Pete Carroll to Joe Paterno. Carroll hangs out in the hood and knows well his players' situations. I'm sure Joe knows too, but he's not hanging out in the inner-city like Carroll is. I guarantee you that a black athlete would feel more comfortable getting non-football advice from Carroll than he would from Paterno. That's not a diss on Paterno at all. He has treated some of his black athletes with incredible compassion that a guy like Carroll probably would never show them (I'm referring to Rashard Casey), but it still doesn't mean Paterno can empathize with them and give great non-football advice. The difference between the two men is that Carroll is much closer to the life experiences of his black players, just like ANY black coach would be in comparison to a white coach.

'
This is a no brainer in my opinion....you have Taylor who is most likely not coming back.....Morris will be back but at what level and how long til he gets hurt again....and Maroney has history of injuries......For 2.3 mil you can get a hard running, pounding RB like Dillon to help run out the clock.....Dillon had a bad attitude when he came here as we all know......so did Moss.....both have become/became great Patriots.......Johnson could be huge for this offense IMHO.......he and Maroney could be a powerful 1-2......if he f's up and starts mouthing off....you cut him...very little to lose in the scheme of things. Pats would be foolish to not be the ones to give the guy another chance.....

Yup ..... I like all of that .... :yeahthat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back