PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Koppen breaking down the O-line play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be the only Wendell supporter around. I really think he should be starting. I wonder how a line of Solder, Stork, Wendell, Connolly, and Vollmer would function. The three centers combine to form an adequate interior and get our most experienced linemen on the field.

I might be the only Wendell supporter around. I really think he should be starting. I wonder how a line of Solder, Stork, Wendell, Connolly, and Vollmer would function. The three centers combine to form an adequate interior and get our most experienced linemen on the field.

I think a much better idea would be trying to get Stork in there, but if that isn't as much of an option than yes---Wendell, and even Kline should be considered. At least that may give us a better sense of cohesion. We'll have to see how Belichick feels though. I have a feeling that he's going to ride it out for at least another game, but I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

IMHO, there are TWO DECISIONS on the critical left side of the line.

The most important is at LG. Cannon needs to be moved to the right side. Kline should be tried at LG. The alternative is Connolly.

The other decision is at LT. Perhaps, Vollmer and Solder should be switched.
======

The elephant in the room is the team's evaluation of Cannon at LG. If they think that he is doing OK, then there is little to do but wait.

They did try KLine at LG last year. For some reason they didn't like the result. Devy beat out KLine to earn his shot.

Besides Kline is listed at less than 300 #s. You are asking for a replay of Wendell's undersize problem. I didn't think he played badly there last year, but I didn't review film and grade his performance.

No matter how you slice it the answer keeps coming back to Cannon at LG.

Devey should be jettisoned off the roster.

Cannon has proven to be a competent right offensive tackle not as an offensive guard.

Vollmer is coming off a broken leg last season.

Kline started a game last season at left offensive guard. Might be worth a look once again this season.

The offensive line is a mess and I'm starting to lose faith in DeGarbageMo.

I read this looking for a possible solution and all I get is nullities.

Ok We cut Devey. How does that improve anything?

Wonderful! I agree with your observation. Now we have two RTs. We still need a LG and a
RG and a C.

Ok Kline is fine to try again with an experiment. That will use up a couple of games experimenting. Maybe we find an answer that we didn't find last time.

I agree the line is a work in progres. So what are you going to do about it.

I can also do the Draft Wisnewski trick. But I want Jon Hannah and Jim Otto. It ain't happening. So what are YOU proposing to do?

I think a much better idea would be trying to get Stork in there, but if that isn't as much of an option than yes---Wendell, and even Kline should be considered. At least that may give us a better sense of cohesion. We'll have to see how Belichick feels though. I have a feeling that he's going to ride it out for at least another game, but I hope like hell that I'm wrong.

That is my opinion also, but I don't see any other realistic course, so I hope it succeeds. Solder, Cannon and Stork have now played together for at least portions of three games. Perhaps we can stabilize the Left side and address the Right side later.

(Isn't that what BBs staged approach really is, though?)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../patriots-4th-quarter-review-red-zone-failure

Solder, who is really struggling and seems to be most affected by the coaching change from Dante Scarnecchia to Dave DeGuglielmo based on his dip in play, was later beaten cleanly by Justin Tuck on an inside move, his technique failing as Tuck put a big lick on Brady on an incomplete pass (6:32 remaining).

That "big lick on Brady" type of hit resulted in penalties and fines for Hightower and Jones last week. This week: nothing. In the Seattle/Denver game the Seahawks were getting away with both hitting Peyton in the head and high/low engagement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back