PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keyshawn Officially RELEASED

Status
Not open for further replies.
patsox23 said:
Nope - it's an UPGRADE. I have no doubt that Keyshawn will behave himself for a year, and that's really all we need him for. Surely we'll draft a couple of kids over the next two drafts and I think he'll be a good stopgap. I would feel way better about it, though, if Willie McG were back in the fold.

Yeah, what he said. And he is indeded better than Givens imo.

skri65 said:
do we forget about the MEshawn??

A healthy Rodney Harrison practicing against you has a tendency to serve as a "attitude adjustment".

I'm not worried about his behavior issues - he knows exactly what to expect having played in a BB like situation, and he knows his contract would be structured in such a way that any benchings resulting from his attitude would affect his wallet.

In terms of talent he more than replaces Givens, and gives us a nice tall WR option that we've not had before.

With 70+ catches last year I don't think he'd be another Donald Hayes either.

I'd take him as a #2 - assuming he accepts his role as a #2.

He'd be perfect, so long as his attitude is right. A big, possesion, tough WR oppositte Branch. Sounds great.

Best cheap WR on the market. We could cope with Branch/Keyshawn Johnson/one of Dwight/Brown.

One thing which no-one has mentioned - Belichick was willing to go >$4m a season *last* year for Derrick Mason, which would have demoted Givens to #3. Maybe Belichick wasn't as high on him as we were in general.

Keyshawn is probably one of the best, if not the best blocking WR in football. He'd replace that aspect of Givens' game, which shouldn't be understated.

Exactly, Covert...in fact BB would have moved Givens last season if the opportunity presented itself.

You have to remember one thing about the Patriots, they are one of the top three teams in league when it comes to hard work.....every single player who moves says the same thing..."I'm not going to miss all that hard labor"...THIS is why 7th round draft choices become good players in this league and why Givens has gotten his chance at a brass ring....BUT STILL, he is, after all is said and done, a 7th round draft choice, so don't discount the Patriots ability to find and hone into a quality player some kid who doesn't grade out that high in this years draft

Upgrade !

If BB/SP sign Keyshawn Johnson, I firmly believe that the Patriots have upgraded their receiver corps. Maybe for only a few years but that is all they need. Branch and Keyshawn are both #1 WRs. Although Keyshawn is older and much more of a complete WR, in htat he blocks, catvhes as a possession guy and cand o the little things that make an offesne go.

Belichik knows what he is is on the field and in the locker room IIRC. I think he also played in Weis's spreadf offense so he already knows it and what's more BB and the Coaches know whether he fits the job requirements that they have for the WR opposite Branch.

This is a no brainer for me if all KJ wants is roughly 2.5m per year. That's half what DG is getting from the Titans for more production at the very least for the next two years. Go get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft