PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keys to beating Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It's supposed to be high 40s and sunny. A nice day for football, unfortunately. Because I want it cold, cold, cold. Oh well.

Here are the keys to beating Denver, as I see it.

When the Patriots have the ball:
Denver has the #3 rush defense and the #1 pass defense in the NFL. They hold opposing QBs to just a 78.8 rating, and lead the NFL in sacks with 52. It's a very difficult combination to beat. Plus, they're at home.

Road: 18.5 points, 319 yds
Home: 18.5 points, 247 yds

So this will be a stiff test for the Patriots. But let's look at what New England was able to do in the first matchup. Without Edelman and Amendola, the Patriots were able to put up 24 points and 301 total yards. Brady threw for 280 yards, 3 td, and 0 interceptions. The main targets were Gronk (6 rec, 88 yds, 1 td), Chandler (5 rec, 58 yds, 1 td), and Bolden (4 rec, 84 yds, 1 td). The Broncos linebackers and safeties had a difficult time covering these three receiving targets, as Brady connected on 15 of 25 passes to these three. With Edelman and Amendola back and healthy, this forces Denver into some interesting decisions. If they go zone, Brady can slice them apart on short passes. If they go man, how do they decide to match up?

Harris is injured and is limited. Any receiver he covers thus has a significant advantage there. Taleb can be beaten on quick change of direction routes - exactly the kind that Edelman and Amendola specialize in. Leaving linebackers to match up with Gronk or Chandler or White seems like a bad idea, as it didn't work last time for Denver even when the Pats were without their best two WR.

I think the Patriots will throw, throw, throw, just like they did against KC. They will spread out Denver with 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE), using Amendola, Edelman, and LaFell along with Gronk and James White a lot. Make Denver cover 5 legitimate receiving options. Or they use Bolden or Jackson to spell White so they can run it if they want. I don't see any more than about 15-18 rush attempts, unless they have a big lead and are just trying to run out the clock.

Let Edelman and Amendola use their quickness. Try to isolate Gronk on a LB or smaller safety. Swing Bolden and White out of the backfield. Denver doesn't have the horses (no pun intended) to counter this many options. They had a hard enough time containing Pittsburgh's passing game, and that was with a banged up Roethlisberger and without Antonio Brown. Quick passes should help keep Denver's pass rush off Brady. I see TB throwing 45+ times at about 63% for more than 300 yards. The Patriots, unless they turn the ball over (always a possibility), should be able to put up 24-30 points on Denver this week.

When the Broncos have the ball:
Peyton Manning still is accurate on short passes, but anything over 10 yards and it's a struggle for him. Here are his splits by distance the pass is thrown:

Behind LOS: 36-42 (85.7%), 153 yds (3.6 ypa), 0 td, 0 int, 81.8 rating
LOS-10 yds: 107-161 (66.5%), 859 yds (5.3 ypa), 4 td, 8 int, 67.3 rating
11-20 yds: 40-80 (50.0%), 730 yds (9.1 ypa), 2 td, 6 int, 58.9 rating
21-30 yds: 8-27 (29.6%), 327 yds (12.1 ypa), 2 td, 2 int, 71.4 rating
31+ yds: 2-12 (16.7%), 111 yds (9.3 ypa), 1 td, 1 int, 67.0 rating

So passes up to 10 yds downfield: 143-203 (70.5%), 1012 yds (5.0 ypa), 4 td, 8 int
But beyond 10 yds downfield: 50-119 (42.0%), 1168 yds (9.8 ypa), 5 td, 9 int

So the Pats would be wise to play press coverage and make Peyton throw over the press coverage.

Moreover, when throwing to either sideline, Peyton is just 74-127 (58.3%), compared to the middle portion of the field where he is 119-195 (61.0%). So I'd try to take away short and middle and make Manning throw deeper and outside. He has excellent receivers, but his arm strength and accuracy are such that those throws are very difficult for him now.

The other piece of this is going to be stopping the run. Unlike Alex Smith, Peyton cannot run at all and so there is no need to keep someone in to watch for the QB scramble. The defensive line must contain the rush and run blitz heavily to keep Anderson and Hillman in check. Anderson ran left with much more effectiveness than he did running right.

Left sideline: 12-95 (7.9)
Left side: 50-254 (5.1)
Middle: 43-205 (4.8)
Right side: 40-156 (3.9)
Right sideline: 7-10 (1.4)

So from the middle over to the left, Anderson was dynamic. Running right he was pedestrian.

Ironically, Hillman is just the opposite.

Left sideline: 28-151 (5.4)
Left side: 57-206 (3.6)
Middle: 39-145 (3.7)
Right side: 63-280 (4.4)
Right sideline: 20-81 (4.1)

So middle-left, Hillman averaged 4.0 yards per carry, but to the right he averaged 4.4 yards per carry. Keep him inside and to the left and you'll be ok. Just don't let him get wide.

Commit to defending the run and take away short and middle passes as best you can, and make them throw down the field and to the outside.

It's supposed to be high 40s and sunny. A nice day for football, unfortunately. Because I want it cold, cold, cold. Oh well.

Here are the keys to beating Denver, as I see it.

When the Patriots have the ball:
Denver has the #3 rush defense and the #1 pass defense in the NFL. They hold opposing QBs to just a 78.8 rating, and lead the NFL in sacks with 52. It's a very difficult combination to beat. Plus, they're at home.

Road: 18.5 points, 319 yds
Home: 18.5 points, 247 yds

So this will be a stiff test for the Patriots. But let's look at what New England was able to do in the first matchup. Without Edelman and Amendola, the Patriots were able to put up 24 points and 301 total yards. Brady threw for 280 yards, 3 td, and 0 interceptions. The main targets were Gronk (6 rec, 88 yds, 1 td), Chandler (5 rec, 58 yds, 1 td), and Bolden (4 rec, 84 yds, 1 td). The Broncos linebackers and safeties had a difficult time covering these three receiving targets, as Brady connected on 15 of 25 passes to these three. With Edelman and Amendola back and healthy, this forces Denver into some interesting decisions. If they go zone, Brady can slice them apart on short passes. If they go man, how do they decide to match up?

Harris is injured and is limited. Any receiver he covers thus has a significant advantage there. Taleb can be beaten on quick change of direction routes - exactly the kind that Edelman and Amendola specialize in. Leaving linebackers to match up with Gronk or Chandler or White seems like a bad idea, as it didn't work last time for Denver even when the Pats were without their best two WR.

I think the Patriots will throw, throw, throw, just like they did against KC. They will spread out Denver with 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE), using Amendola, Edelman, and LaFell along with Gronk and James White a lot. Make Denver cover 5 legitimate receiving options. Or they use Bolden or Jackson to spell White so they can run it if they want. I don't see any more than about 15-18 rush attempts, unless they have a big lead and are just trying to run out the clock.

Let Edelman and Amendola use their quickness. Try to isolate Gronk on a LB or smaller safety. Swing Bolden and White out of the backfield. Denver doesn't have the horses (no pun intended) to counter this many options. They had a hard enough time containing Pittsburgh's passing game, and that was with a banged up Roethlisberger and without Antonio Brown. Quick passes should help keep Denver's pass rush off Brady. I see TB throwing 45+ times at about 63% for more than 300 yards. The Patriots, unless they turn the ball over (always a possibility), should be able to put up 24-30 points on Denver this week.

When the Broncos have the ball:
Peyton Manning still is accurate on short passes, but anything over 10 yards and it's a struggle for him. Here are his splits by distance the pass is thrown:

Behind LOS: 36-42 (85.7%), 153 yds (3.6 ypa), 0 td, 0 int, 81.8 rating
LOS-10 yds: 107-161 (66.5%), 859 yds (5.3 ypa), 4 td, 8 int, 67.3 rating
11-20 yds: 40-80 (50.0%), 730 yds (9.1 ypa), 2 td, 6 int, 58.9 rating
21-30 yds: 8-27 (29.6%), 327 yds (12.1 ypa), 2 td, 2 int, 71.4 rating
31+ yds: 2-12 (16.7%), 111 yds (9.3 ypa), 1 td, 1 int, 67.0 rating

So passes up to 10 yds downfield: 143-203 (70.5%), 1012 yds (5.0 ypa), 4 td, 8 int
But beyond 10 yds downfield: 50-119 (42.0%), 1168 yds (9.8 ypa), 5 td, 9 int

So the Pats would be wise to play press coverage and make Peyton throw over the press coverage.

Moreover, when throwing to either sideline, Peyton is just 74-127 (58.3%), compared to the middle portion of the field where he is 119-195 (61.0%). So I'd try to take away short and middle and make Manning throw deeper and outside. He has excellent receivers, but his arm strength and accuracy are such that those throws are very difficult for him now.

The other piece of this is going to be stopping the run. Unlike Alex Smith, Peyton cannot run at all and so there is no need to keep someone in to watch for the QB scramble. The defensive line must contain the rush and run blitz heavily to keep Anderson and Hillman in check. Anderson ran left with much more effectiveness than he did running right.

Left sideline: 12-95 (7.9)
Left side: 50-254 (5.1)
Middle: 43-205 (4.8)
Right side: 40-156 (3.9)
Right sideline: 7-10 (1.4)

So from the middle over to the left, Anderson was dynamic. Running right he was pedestrian.

Ironically, Hillman is just the opposite.

Left sideline: 28-151 (5.4)
Left side: 57-206 (3.6)
Middle: 39-145 (3.7)
Right side: 63-280 (4.4)
Right sideline: 20-81 (4.1)

So middle-left, Hillman averaged 4.0 yards per carry, but to the right he averaged 4.4 yards per carry. Keep him inside and to the left and you'll be ok. Just don't let him get wide.

Commit to defending the run and take away short and middle passes as best you can, and make them throw down the field and to the outside.
Good post. A lot of work. Thank you.
DW Toys

Amazing work and research! It falls in line with what I feel will be key:

1. Get the small shifty receivers +Gronk the ball in the middle via biggest mismatch that play.

2. Hightower must come to play. During the season he was almost single handedly taking away the Denver Run game , when he went down Denver gashed us on the ground. If he stays healthy , we force denver to abandon the run early, at that point send him in (he has incredibly effective passrushing up the gut).

I am more afraid of the mile high BS that always happens than the actual team almost all the down the tape we hold the advantage.. This is of course in theory.

I like that you didn't leave Bolden out of the equation. I would love to see Harris try and tackle him on a pass out of the backfield.

I just wonder if bill will respect manning a little too much. I don't think he's the same QB.

The weather can change. It's monday. It could drop.

I think on Offense, we have to protect Brady just like we did against KC and on defense, we have to get off the field on 3rd downs, can't afford to be letting Denver convert like KC did. I think if we can accomplish both, it's on to the Super Bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great opening post.

Denver played an awful lot of zone coverage with five DBs yesterday. Underneath was open consistently, and Bryant set a record for yards gained by getting open when coverage was handed off from LB to safety or CB to safety. Roethlisberger read the soft spots in the Denver zone and did a great job without his top receiver and running backs.

I'm not so worried about scoring points, The defense has to play disciplined football and put the Broncos in 3rd and long situations. Manning's receivers struggled on 3rd down catching the fluttering ball and getting open in man coverage.

Den's #1 pass defense just let big ben throw for 339 yards, with a 65% completion without Brown..albeit with no tds thrown. Brady threw for 280 with 3 tds in week 12 against Den with jules, danny not playing and gronk getting hurt in the 4th.
Why wouldn't Brady be able to at the very minimum duplicate those stats with Jules, Danny playing this time? Oh, and White only had 2 catches for 5 yards. What am I missing?

I just wonder if bill will respect manning a little too much. I don't think he's the same QB.

Hard to believe I know, but I think Bill Belichick knows as much about defense, IF NOT MORE THAN, the average patsfans poster. So, I'm pretty sure he sees what we see--the key to stopping the donks is to stop their running game.

Hard to believe I know, but I think Bill Belichick knows as much about defense, IF NOT MORE THAN, the average patsfans poster. So, I'm pretty sure he sees what we see--the key to stopping the donks is to stop their running game.

Well duh but i wonder if the defensive scene will be like the one against the chiefs

Den's #1 pass defense just let big ben throw for 339 yards, with a 65% completion without Brown..albeit with no tds thrown. Brady threw for 280 with 3 tds in week 12 against Den with jules, danny not playing and gronk getting hurt in the 4th.
Why wouldn't Brady be able to at the very minimum duplicate those stats with Jules, Danny playing this time? Oh, and White only had 2 catches for 5 yards. What am I missing?

Well Pittsburgh's mistake was the lousy playcalling and coaching. We have to get after them for 60 minutes

Turnovers. And Ware is playing now for DEN.

Naturally, DEN's run game needs to be contained. But NE will have to tackle well, too, and take good angles to not give up a lot of YAC against Thomas and Sanders. Don't let Manning get any easy, cheap yards. I would love the Pats to get up by 10-14 early and force DEN to start throwing and come up with a few INTs.

Well duh but i wonder if the defensive scene will be like the one against the chiefs

i dont think so. if osweiller was playing, yes. But manning offers no threat to kill you with his legs like alex smith who also runs the read option. so that means the front 7 doesnt have to worry about playing contain and can just pin their ears back and attack the line of scrimmage.

The pats defense is going to play manning inside out. I don't think anybody will be surprised by that. Maybe we double Thomas.

The pats offense is going to run tons of crossing routes. Last time we played Denver it was without Edelman. He should open up the seam routes for gronkowski.

The biggest pats offensive question is - can the o line protect if denver jumps the crossing routes.

Offensively, I believe the Pats have to establish the run in this game unlike vs KC. I believe Denver is game planning for a shootout and IMO that's not a strategy suited to defeat Denver when you are the visiting team. Every time Brady has the run game churning out nice gains, he is deadly with play action.

Denver has sort of a light fast defense. Pound Jackson at them and keep the NE defense off the filed as much as possible in the 1st half so they are not worn down for the 2nd half where Denver usually zeroes in for the kill. Turn the tables on the Broncos and make them the ones who don't want anymore in the 4th quarter.

Defensively, I don't fear Manning whatsoever. Passing should be easier without the wind. but he is clearly struggling to get the ball there. Obviously taking away Sanders is a priority. Stopping the run as well as best as possible. Malcom Brown seems to be holding up nicely. Manning desperately needs the run game going or Denver will lose.

It could get ugly if Manning has another game like last week with calls for Oswilleir raining down on him.

Offensively, I believe the Pats have to establish the run in this game unlike vs KC. I believe Denver is game planning for a shootout and IMO that's not a strategy suited to defeat Denver when you are the visiting team. Every time Brady has the run game churning out nice gains, he is deadly with play action.

Denver has sort of a light fast defense. Pound Jackson at them and keep the NE defense off the filed as much as possible in the 1st half so they are not worn down for the 2nd half where Denver usually zeroes in for the kill. Turn the tables on the Broncos and make them the ones who don't want anymore in the 4th quarter.

Defensively, I don't fear Manning whatsoever. Passing should be easier without the wind. but he is clearly struggling to get the ball there. Obviously taking away Sanders is a priority. Stopping the run as well as best as possible. Malcom Brown seems to be holding up nicely. Manning desperately needs the run game going or Denver will lose.

It could get ugly if Manning has another game like last week with calls for Oswilleir raining down on him.

I'd take a second look at that.........

Except for Talib and Ward, their Secondary is in shambles (Bruton and Bolden are now on IR and Chris Harris really can't play with his arm and shoulder).

Brady must walk around with a bib this week to protect his shirts from his drooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back