PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kamerion Wimbley - FA fit for Patriots at OLB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowell33

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Kamerion Wimbley. Lets assume Woodley and Tamba Hali are both given the franchise tag. The rest of the OLB pass rushers are pretty uninspiring. I think that Wimbley could be the Pats guy. Consider:

1. Has averaged over 7 sacks per year during his 5 year career.
2. Has only missed 1 game out of his 80 career games.
3. Is still only 27 years old.
4. Has a reputation as a tireless worker with a great attitude.
5. Has the size BB covets at OLB ( 6'4" 255 ).
6. Is a great athlete who can also drop and cover.
7. Played 3-4 for Romeo Crennel in Cleveland. Can play the Pats system.
8. Would immediately become the Pats top pass rusher.
9. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Kamerion Wimbley Patriots OLB ?

Wasn't he sent out of Cleveland because he wasn't cutting it as an OLB?

Not bad-- was on many boards the yr Maroney was drafted. Everyone predicted an LB, but BB went against the grain and went offense, IIRC.

Wasn't he sent out of Cleveland because he wasn't cutting it as an OLB?

Avg 7 sacks? Sounds more like clearing the Mangini roster,

Avg 7 sacks? Sounds more like clearing the Mangini roster,

That's kinda inflated by his 11-sack rookie year. He averaged just over 5 in the 3 seasons prior to this one.

That's kinda inflated by his 11-sack rookie year. He averaged just over 5 in the 3 seasons prior to this one.

I used his career average of over 7 sacks per season. I could have said "he averaged 10 sacks per year over his first and last seasons". But that would be hand picking stats, kind of like saying "he averaged just over 5 in the 3 seasons prior to this one". ( See above )

Last edited:

I used his career average of over 7 sacks per season. I could have said "he averaged 10 sacks per year over his first and last seasons". But that would be hand picking stats, kind of like saying "he averaged just over 5 in the 3 seasons prior to this one". ( See above )

Well, something happened after that rookie year, because he's never been that good since. Heck, he was a 3-sack week 17 away from entering free agency as a 6-sack guy that nobody on forums would care about, but how he's the next big that at OLB.

Well, something happened after that rookie year, because he's never been that good since. Heck, he was a 3-sack week 17 away from entering free agency as a 6-sack guy that nobody on forums would care about, but how he's the next big that at OLB.

Your still hand picking stats. He has averaged over 7 sacks per year over his five year career. He's not great. Far from it. Just better than we have now.

Is there a OLB on the Pats roster now who you prefer as a pass rusher ?

Your still hand picking stats. He has averaged over 7 sacks per year over his five year career. He's not great. Far from it. Just better than we have now.

Is there a OLB on the Pats roster now who you prefer as a pass rusher ?

How do you know he's better than Cunningham?

I think he'd be a good fit here. I don't know how probable it is that we would land Woodley, but after him I think Wimbley is the next best option at OLB through FA. However, I don't know much about Hali.

I would certainly hope that BB & Co. didn't go nuts over a guy who only had one good year in the 3-4, has stunk in it since, and needed a switch to the 4-3 to salvage his career.

However, here's a thread on the guy, for those interested in him:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/174860-kamerion-wimbley.html

The money quote:

Update: Kamerion said that he is have contract negotiations as we speak with the Raiders. But nothing can be finalized because of the CBA. And he really likes Calis warm weather. And loves wearing the black and silver colors

Last edited:

I'd be all for signing Wimbley at the right price... but admittedly, I've been a fan of his since the Browns drafted him in the first round. I even thought it was one of the smarter moves the Raiders made in the off season.

I would certainly hope that BB & Co. didn't go nuts over a guy who only had one good year in the 3-4, has stunk in it since, and needed a switch to the 4-3 to salvage his career.

However, here's a thread on the guy, for those interested in him:

Kamerion Wimbley - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

The money quote:

I think people sometimes underplay the role of the supporting cast. There are only a few special players in the league who can produce regardless of their team's personnel. Typically the FA pool consist of mediocre or over the hill players on good teams who get big contracts from desperate franchises (Skinnies come to mind) because of big stats or Good players on bad teams who dont have the best stats and only get slightly overpaid. I think Wimbley would be a great fit for the team, but like any FA, the Pats will have to pay more than he's worth. Honestly, I'm not opposed to spending a little

I think he'd be a good fit here. I don't know how probable it is that we would land Woodley, but after him I think Wimbley is the next best option at OLB through FA. However, I don't know much about Hali.

Unfortunately I think both Woodley and Hali will be franchised. It would take a minor miracle for the Pats to get either of these players.

I haven't watched him play, so I don't know the answer, but # of sacks doesn't always tell the story of a guy's pass rushing skills. There are 2 possibilities why his sack numbers are down:

1 - for whatever reason he has regressed since his rookie season.

2 - He has been just as good, but his lack of sacks is a reflection of things outside his control - such as poor running defense, QBs getting rid of the ball quicker, him playing more coverage, etc.

I suspect with his old coach being in KC, the Chiefs would be all over him if he was a good fit for this defense.

Unfortunately I think both Woodley and Hali will be franchised. It would take a minor miracle for the Pats to get either of these players.

I wonder what the compensation would be to sign another team's franchise player under the new CBA? Would it be worth 2 first rounders to get Woodley from the Steeler's? Probably not since he would need a mega contract as well.

Until there is a CBA, there should not be any talk of franchise, or trading or signing FA.... Which should all be our foucs to see we have a FA trading signing period....

I'd rather draft someone that pick up Wimbley

I'd rather draft someone that pick up Wimbley
Yea, I'd prefer Ray Edwards if he's not overly expensive. If he is, then the draft is the only real option to get an impact OLB.

Yea, I'd prefer Ray Edwards if he's not overly expensive. If he is, then the draft is the only real option to get an impact OLB.

He's going to be expensive. They're talking about possibly franchsing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents