PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior watch list

UCLA junior DT Brian Price said that he will declare for the 2010 draft:

UCLA football: Brian Price to declare for the NFL draft | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times

I think Price is just a shade behind Suh and McCoy right now, and will be a top 20, possible top 15 pick. Don't know how he would do in a 3-4 as a DE. He's a bit short a 6-2", but a heck of a player.
After celebrating its first bowl win since 2005 - a 30-21 win over Temple on Tuesday night at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. - UCLA was dealt crushing blows on both sides of the ball after the game. Junior defensive tackle Brian Price told Chris Roberts, Wayne Cook and Matt Stevens of the UCLA ISP Sports Network that he intends to declare for the NFL Draft after a spectacular junior season, and freshman offensive tackle Xavier Su'a-Filo confirmed in a text message that he was going on his LDS mission immediately. While Price qualified his statements by adding that he still needs to have final discussions with the UCLA coaching staff and his family, all indications are that he is leaving for the NFL. "I want what's best for Brian Price," coach Rick Neuheisel said. "Obviously, we would love to have him back - he's a big-time football player - but if it's a good decision for Brian and his family to move on, we wish him the very best." "I knew before the season started," said UCLA senior linebacker Reggie Carter, who played with Price at Crenshaw High. "That's my dude, but I can't stand him. There were a couple tackles today where I just had the running back sized up, and he gets him. I'm just like, `What are you doing? Why don't they block you? You're in front of them already!' He's unbelievable." - Jon Gold, Long Beach Press-Telegram via NFL Draft Scout

If Jones waits till 2011 he will be the #1 or 2 ranked MLB in the draft. He has been a 1st or 2nd team all american in his career and leads the Big 10 in tackles. He is kind of small to be playing MLB for the Pats at 6'1", 228lbs.

He was actually an OLB his first two years, I think MSU just moved him to MLB because they lacked depth there. But you're right, he'd be better of going into the draft next year.

North Carolina DT Marvin Austin says he's staying in school:

Scout.com: Austin Says He'll Return

UNC should have a terrific defense next year, with Robert Quinn, Bruce Carter, and Austin.

Where are the wholesale junior defections?

Some more junior watch notes from TFYdraft:

TFY

Among the more interesting notes: "Defensive lineman Cameron Heyward is still thinking about what he’ll do and most associated with the team say the big junior is up in the air on his final decision. The feeling is Heyward would really like to stay for his senior season yet when the information from the advisory committee comes in and shows he’s a first round pick Heyward will have no choice but to leave."

Heyward returning...

No news yet on Cameron Heyward.

Heyward, Checkwa To Stay For Senior Seasons | NBC4i.com

A statement from Heyward:

"I am excited about next season and am looking forward to being one of the senior leaders of our team. I sat down and talked at length with my family about my situation, and they totally support my decision. I’ve been blessed to this point. I am just having fun being a college student.

"I learned a lot from seniors like Doug (Worthington) and Kurt (Coleman) and all they were able to accomplish during their senior year. I would love to be a part of Buckeye tradition like that. I think the upside is very positive.

"I want to help our team achieve the goals of winning another Big Ten title and possibly accomplishing a national championship. If I could win some recognition, that would be great as well. I think I can be a leader for our team, and I know another season will help me become a better player."

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back