PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior watch list

Last edited:
Some more junior watch notes from TFYdraft:

Underclassmen News & NFL Draft Notes: January 11th

Of particular interest: "For most of the season word was Greg Romeus was pretty certain he would enter the draft but the word as of this evening is the Panthers defensive end is really contemplating his final decision. That’s because sources told us Romeus was surprised by the grade he received from the NFL Advisory committee. Most feel Romeus is a top 15 pick in April’s draft- we presently rank Romeus as the seventh best player in the nation. The advisory committee disagrees and gave the Pittsburgh junior a 2nd/3rd round grade. That’s surprising but as someone close to the program reminded us, Pro-Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis was given a second round grade from the committee after his junior season."

A good player or two should slip down to the Patriots in the second round.
We need three to do that. Barring trades, we have a shot at 4 picks who should have first (or very close to first) round grades. These 4 picks and the two #1s next year should make or break the 2010-2015 season. Not that I overreact much or anything ;)

South Carolina DE Clifton Geathers is reportedly declaring for the draft:

http://www.thestate.com/gogame****s/story/1106116.html

The 6'8", 290# Geathers is projected as a mid/late round pick. I think he could be an interesting developmental 5 technique guy. Has anyone seen him play much?

I've not seen him, but if you Google Clifton Geathers, the third link that comes up is this one:

http://www.thestate.com/gogamec ocks/story/913445.html (remove the space).

That's a massive red flag.

Last edited:
I've not seen him, but if you Google Clifton Geathers, the third link that comes up is this one:

http://www.thestate.com/gogamec ocks/story/913445.html (remove the space).

That's a massive red flag.

I was aware of the incident. He was suspended for the first game of the season, came back and has been productive the rest of the season.

He'll probably be a late round pick. He's got good size and athleticism, has been productive, and several members of his family have been productive NFL players. We should have multiple comp picks. I wouldn't go after him by any means, but if he's available in the 6th I'd give him a shot. He's got sort of a Corey Wootten kind of game, could play 3-4 or 4-3 DE. Could replace Jarvis Green.

Texas A&M DE/OLB Von Miller will supposedly announce at 3:30 today whether he will declare for the draft or return for his senior season.

I must have read this thread title and then proceeded to the thread 50 times and yet every time I see the title for the first time I think it's about Seau for a split second.

“I am returning to Texas A&M for my senior year,” Miller said from his home in DeSoto. “I appreciate Coach Sherman assisting me in gathering information and allowing me and my family a chance to make this decision. After careful consideration, I feel it is in my best interest to come back. It is important to me and my family to earn my degree from Texas A&M and this will put me much closer to that goal. I can’t leave A&M right now. I know (strength coach) Coach Kennedy will be anxious to see me in the weight room and in the running drills.” Miller, from DeSoto, Texas, recorded 48 total tackles with 31 of those being the solo variety. Of his 48 tackles, 21.5 went for tackles for loss of yardage for a total of 125 yards lost. His 17 quarterback sacks for an average of 1.31 sacks per game led the NCAA and the 17 sacks in a season was the second-best mark in Texas A&M school history behind the school record of20 sacks set by Jacob Green in 1979. “We’ve got most everyone coming back on defense and I think we have some good recruits coming in,” Miller said. “I have confidence in Coach Sherman and I know we will have a great defensive staff. I am looking forward to having a good year.” - Texas A&M football via NFL Draft Scout.

Greg Romeus is returning to Pittsburgh for his senior season.

Pittsburgh Panthers' Greg Romeus returning for senior season - ESPN

Bummer. I would have loved to draft him to play strong side DE/OLB for the Pats.

I read somewhere that he got a surprisingly low draft grade - 3rd/4th round or lower - from the Advisory Committee. The grade is probably crap but it makes sense for him to return for his senior year given the competition at the position this year and the low draft grade.

I read somewhere that he got a surprisingly low draft grade - 3rd/4th round or lower - from the Advisory Committee. The grade is probably crap but it makes sense for him to return for his senior year given the competition at the position this year and the low draft grade.

If the advisory committee gave him a third round grade I'd question their ability to be able to hold a conversation without dribbling.

Mind you, Darrelle Revis had something like a second/third round grade coming out.

D'uh.

Last edited:
I think the committee errors on the side of caution and gives them the lower water mark. After the combine and all the post season games things change based on performances.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back