PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Junior watch list

Re: Heyward returning...

Well, that sucks. Heyward would have been a good pick for the Patriots.

Agreed. He was very high on my list of 1st round values to consider.

Where are the wholesale junior defections?

According to TFYdraft yesterday, "Underclassmen were expected to enter the 2010 draft in record numbers; so why have the floodgates not yet opened? Simply answered - many of the underclassmen are still awaiting their grades from the NFL Advisory Committee. " The report further notes that "the combination of large numbers of grade requests from underclassmen plus a lack of film has really put the advisory committee behind the eight-ball."

TFY

According to TFYdraft yesterday, "Underclassmen were expected to enter the 2010 draft in record numbers; so why have the floodgates not yet opened? Simply answered - many of the underclassmen are still awaiting their grades from the NFL Advisory Committee. " The report further notes that "the combination of large numbers of grade requests from underclassmen plus a lack of film has really put the advisory committee behind the eight-ball."

TFY

Thanks for the info. I have been hoping that with three second

round picks the Patriots could load up with some good players.

I hope we draft both Pouncey's. Just so BB can deliver this line on draft day(s).

"Let's go back to my place Pouncey, Pouncey!"

:bricks:

With a little over a week to go to declare, as of today 25 players have announced that they will forego their senior year to enter the 2010 draft:

QB (2) - Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen
RB (2) - Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best
WR (5) - Aurelius Benn, Golden Tate, Dez Bryant, Mike Williams, Desmond Brizcoe
TE (2) - Jermaine Gresham, Aaron Hernandez
OL (2) - Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell
DT (3) - Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, Abe Koroma
DE (3) - Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, Thaddeus Gibson
LB(1) - Navorro Bowman
S (2) - Eric Berry, Reshad Jones
CB (3) - Joe Haden, Donovan Warren, Dominique Franks

The following players have announced they are returning for their senior year:

- Evan Royster, RB, Penn St.
- Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
- Allen Bailey, DT/DE, Miami
- Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.
- Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
- Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
- Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio St.

Undecided players include:

QB - Ryan Mallet, Jevan Snead
RB - Jonathan Dwyer, Noel Devine, Joe McKnight
WR - Damian Williams, Demaryius Thomas
OT - Brian Bulaga, Gabe Carimi
OG/C - Mike Pouncey, Maurkice Pouncey
DE - Carlos Dunlap, Derrick Morgan, Greg Romeus, Jeremy Beal
LB - Rolando McClain, Travis Lewis, Von Miller
S - Earl Thomas, Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones
CB - Kareem Jackson, Amari Spievey

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft.

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft.

That makes 6 potential 1st round OTs: Srs. Russell Okung, Trent Williams and Charlie Brown, and Jrs. Bulaga, Bruce Campbell and Anthony Davis.

Campbell has the most upside but is a pure LT. I like Bulaga 2nd most of those guys, but think he will be better on the right side. I think that if Bulaga slipped to the Pats' pick, that he would be excellent value, and would have to get some consideration depending on who else was on the board.

Virginia Tech DE/OLB Jason Worilds, a possible 3-4 OLB conversion prospect, will enter the 2010 draft:

Virginia Tech Hokies defensive end Jason Worilds enters NFL draft - ESPN

As of right now, the major prospects who haven't announced their intention include QB Ryan Mallet, RB Jonathan Dwyer, RB Toby Gerhart, WR Damien Williams, WR Demaryius Thomas, OT/OG Gabe Carimi, OT Joseph Barksdale, DE Derrick Morgan, DE Carlos Dunlap, DE Greg Romeus, DE/OLB Von Miller, ILB Rolando McClain, S Earl Thomas, S Morgan Burnett, CB Kareem Jackson, and CB Amary Spievey.

Arkansas red shirt sophomore QB Ryan Mallet will supposedly announce today that he will return to school next year and forego the 2010 draft:

Report: Mallett Will Stay for Junior Season | Arkansas Sports 360.com

Mallet and Washington QB Jake Locker should be potential top 10 picks in 2011, when the Pats could have a top 10 pick from Oakland.

Georgia Tech junior WR Demaryius Thomas has scheduled a press conference for today, which probably means that he is declaring for the draft. Teammates RB Jonathan Dwyer and Derrick Morgan are still undeclared.

Some more early entry gossip from TFYdraft:

TFY

Among the tidbits:

- Ryan Mallett will announce he is returning
- Von Miller got a 2nd round grade from the NFL draft board and is heavily leaning towards coming out
- Jonathan Dwyer is heavily leaning towards coming out
- Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski is leaning about 75% towards coming out, despite missing the year with a back injury

Wes Bunting from National Football Post has part I of his Junior Review out, with some comments on the early entry prospects:

Early entry juniors: Part I | National Football Post

Two comments of particular interest:

- "Iowa left tackle Bryan Bulaga made it official this week and has decided to enter the draft. Bulaga came into the season as the NFP’s top-rated offensive lineman but failed to play up to expectations after battling through a thyroid condition in the early part of the year. There’s no doubt in my mind that with some time to re-commit himself in the weight room, Bulaga can regain the type of base strength and power he displayed as a sophomore. But the tape doesn’t lie and he did have a rough time trying to block power off the edge this season vs. some of the nation’s top defensive end prospects. However, he’s one of the few linemen in this draft with the ability to develop into a legit left tackle in the NFL. And although he might have been better served staying for his senior year, I can’t see him falling outside the first round." I think Bulaga would be worth serious consideration if he fell to the Pats' pick.

- "We all know about the two elite defensive tackle prospects in this year’s draft -- Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy. However, I’m not so sure we won’t be including another defensive tackle in that group when it’s all said and done. UCLA’s DT Brian Price proved all season he has the talent to dominate the line of scrimmage. His ability to gain leverage on contact, maintain balance and disengage from blocks vs. the pass screams impact-caliber defensive lineman at the next level. He doesn’t quite play the run as well as McCoy or Suh at this stage, but he still looks like a guy worthy of a top 10-15 selection." I think Price could end up being better than McCoy, and will likely be a top 15 pick. I can't see him getting past the Giants, if he lasts that long.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back