PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

junior seau: number(55) question

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
I'm glad he's taking 55. McGinest isn't going to the Hall of Fame and IMO shouldn't have his number retired....

The door to the HOF for Willie is not closed, and he has a decent chance to get consideration if things like: Who he is competing against in certain years fall his way. As one the NFL's all-time post season sack leaders, McGinest, a defensive linchpin appearing in four Super Bowls (winning 3), could see his chances improve as he will most likely be the first Belichick-era Patriot up for legitimate consideration circa 2012.

Last edited:
363839 said:
Tell that to Joe Namath.
Hell. He even did less than that.

or Gale Sayers.

He only HAD half a cereer due to injuries though. He WAS a HOFer from his first touch to his last.

Bertil said:
or Gale Sayers.

He only HAD half a cereer due to injuries though. He WAS a HOFer from his first touch to his last.

Another fine example, bertil.

Bertil said:
or Gale Sayers.

While true, McGinest was never, ever as good as Sayers. That's comparing the best player (or one of the top five) of his time to a really good LB.

I think that if Andre Tippett hasn't gotten in, and it doesn't look like he will, then Willie probably won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
groundgame said:
The door to the HOF for Willie is not closed, and he has a decent chance to get consideration if things like: Who he is competing against in certain years fall his way. As one the NFL's all-time post season sack leaders, McGinest, a defensive linchpin appearing in four Super Bowls (winning 3), could see his chances improve as he will most likely be the first Belichick-era Patriot up for legitimate consideration circa 2012.

couldnt agree more
he def has a chance due to certain stats: most sbs in a row with a sack, most sacks in playoff game, most sacks in playoffs career, made a couple pro bowls

and, he won sb rings as a key member of the pats(ppl will not forget that willie was a leader and a big reason we won)

groundgame said:

I would agree. He's no lock but he will have a decent case to make. It might not be enough but who knows. Regardless, he was a much better player than he's been made out to be by the people who have issues with his departure.

Willie left for more money, something ANY one of us here would do given the same set of circumstances. Anyone who says they wouldn't is a liar. Period. End of story.

Furthermore, Willie left gracefully to play for a coach he has a lot of history with. The childish bitterness (and that's just what it is) exhibited toward departed players by some is sickening.

Last edited:
it kinda sux that my jersey will make some ppl think i have a seau jersey on

SoonerPatriot said:
Willie left for more money, something ANY one of us here would do given the same set of circumstances. Anyone who says they wouldn't is a liar. Period. End of story.

Furthermore, he left gracefully to play for a coach he has a lot of history with. The childish hatred (and that's just what it is) exhibited toward departed players by some is sickening.

Easy there, no one is being nearly as severe as you illustrate in their feelings towards Willie. In fact the reaction is completely expectable. And being a big enough fan to be a little sore towards any player who leaves your beloved team is the kind of loyalty that makes sports worth watching. I don't think anyone is trying to deny or devalue the great things he did as a Patriot.

zippo59 said:
Easy there, no one is being nearly as severe as you illustrate in their feelings towards Willie. In fact the reaction is completely expectable. And being a big enough fan to be a little sore towards any player who leaves your beloved team is the kind of loyalty that makes sports worth watching. I don't think anyone is trying to deny or devalue the great things he did as a Patriot.

Not on this thread, but a couple of weeks ago when Willie was asked about what went wrong last year and he dared to say injuries had an impact on the season (as anyone could clearly see) and that Starks played like trash (again, he obviously did) you would have thought he mowed down a busload of Cub Scouts from the reaction. How quickly some forget what he contributed to 3 SBs.

patsfan55 said:
it kinda sux that my jersey will make some ppl think i have a seau jersey on

No, they won't.

SoonerPatriot said:
Well, duh, but I don't have millions in the bank like the previous #55 does.

Anyway, I just don't think he's a HoFer. He was an injury prone underachiever half his career. He came on big time the second half but was never one of the top ten overall LB in the game IMO. He also had the benefit of playing in a great scheme with great teamates. Did he take over games for us last year when Bruschi and Harrison were out ? Sorry, I just don't see the guy as a HoFer.

Willie as a HOF'er?

I dont think so. He didnt do a ton until Belichick arrived even as an assistant. His stats have never ever been amazing. Never gotten over 100 tackles in a season. He made some big plays back when our entire defense was dynamite but I agree, last year he didnt do ANYTHING until the second half of the season. He was just as lost as any other player on the defense was.

Kdo5 said:
Willie as a HOF'er?

I dont think so. He didnt do a ton until Belichick arrived even as an assistant. His stats have never ever been amazing. Never gotten over 100 tackles in a season. He made some big plays back when our entire defense was dynamite but I agree, last year he didnt do ANYTHING until the second half of the season. He was just as lost as any other player on the defense was.
Well, I don't think there is much of a chance for Willie to go into HOF either. But as for his play the first half of last year - remember that his ability to impact plays (and I suppose the OLB position) depends on the play of the DL and the ILBs. And we know how that was working out for the first half.

Kdo5 said:
Willie as a HOF'er?

he never had great stats in a single yr, but overall his stats are pretty good, AND hes always had a knack for the big play, do i really need to start bringing some up, fine i guess i will:

sack and tfl in successive plays vs houston in 2003, forced them to punt instead of go for the game winning fg, we win in ot

stuff at the goal line vs indy to win the game

sack of manning to push indy back in season opener 2004, vanderjerk misses potential game tying fg

and so on....

1 - imho Willie Mc Ginest will not be introduced in HOF
2 - i still consider him, Willie, one of the best players we ever had; pity that he did not finished his career with us
3 - i like if Seau will take # 55 (more responsability...)

in the conf call seau said he will talk to willie about wearing his number

I absolutely love Willie. He is one of my all time fave Pats. At the same time he was in danger of being a cap casualty arouund 2003, I believe. As people have previously stated, for a large portion of his career he was considered and injury prone player who never really fulfilled his first round pick expectations. While he certainly has had some brilliant moments for this team I don't think they have come consistently enough to get him a spot in Canton. Furthermore, there is only one purely OLB in the Hall, and guess who it is. Its LT. If their standards for OLB are that high, then few if any stand a chance of getting in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News