PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

junior seau: number(55) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan55

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
is seau gonna take his old number 55, after willie left
if so, it would be kinda funny considering willie took 55 at usc, right after seau left

personally i dont really wanna see anyone with 55 right away, and whoever wears that 55 for the pats again better play well

im sorry if this has aready been discussed, but it would take me over an hour to look through everything written about him

Yea but the real question is

WILL THEARCHIVES THINK THAT SEAU WILL BE TIGHT???

I see no problem with Seau wearing 55; better than some rookie.

Of course it won't be exactly the same seeing someone besides Willie wearing #55 but we can't start retiring every number of every player we've grown to love. We'd be issuing fractions in a couple seasons. :)

Sure why not. As far as I know the Pats haven't retired #55 yet.
And if you want to compare careers, Seau's is as good if not better than WM.
Why do people get so hung up on numbers anyways. It's not like we're suddenly giving him Brady's number or like this is an issue of Bush trying to get his own special # against the rules. :)

I'm glad he's taking 55. McGinest isn't going to the Hall of Fame and IMO shouldn't have his number retired. He chose to leave, making the # available. A number like, say, 12 (or hopfully 54 based on what happened) that probably will be retired is different.

Look, Bruschi said when he re-signed that the reason he took less money was because he couldn't bear the thought of seeing someone else wearing #54 for the Patriots while he was still playing. McGinnest could have seen to it that no-one else got #55 this year - but he's in Cleveland instead.

Ugh. I knew that Seau wore #55 as a Charger and I also know that Willie's number hasn't been retired but this just doesn't feel right.

Hey if they give Beisel 52 right out of the gate after Ted Johnson's solid career than they can give Seau his old number after a great NFL career.

Hoodie said:
Ugh. I knew that Seau wore #55 as a Charger and I also know that Willie's number hasn't been retired but this just doesn't feel right.
It didn't feel right seeing McGinest holding up a Browns jersey. This, I don't care about.

BelichickFan said:
It didn't feel right seeing McGinest holding up a Browns jersey. This, I don't care about.

I agree. I refused to watch coverage of the press conference to avoid seeing hold up the wrong jersey. But this makes me a little veklepmt. :(

I realize that there are only so many linebackers #'s available, but I wish they wouldn't give Willie's 55 to someone else. At least for a couple of years anyway.

He was just so damn special to this team and it's fans.

belichickaholic said:
I realize that there are only so many linebackers #'s available, but I wish they wouldn't give Willie's 55 to someone else. At least for a couple of years anyway.

He was just so damn special to this team and it's fans.
I guess I just twist with the wind but he lost any "damn special" to me when he left for more money.

BelichickFan said:
I guess I just twist with the wind but he lost any "damn special" to me when he left for more money.

I don't begrudge him for going for more money. He only has a couple years left tops. He might as well get as much as he can. The guy took a few restructures which usually(always) means less money. So, more power to him.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure about a HOF snub for Willie.

Personally, I think he will get in. Probably not a first time ballot, though.

363839 said:
Also, I wouldn't be so sure about a HOF snub for Willie.

Personally, I think he will get in. Probably not a first time ballot, though.
Playing like a HoFer for half a career doesn't get you in.

BelichickFan said:
Playing like a HoFer for half a career doesn't get you in.

Tell that to Joe Namath.
Hell. He even did less than that.

363839 said:
Tell that to Joe Namath.
Hell. He even did less than that.
OK, shouldn't get you in ;) Some guys like Nameth are bigger than the game and McGinest isn't. Heck, John Madden shouldn't be in as a HC. One Super Bowl win - that would qualify a lot of HC.

BelichickFan said:
OK, shouldn't get you in ;) Some guys like Nameth are bigger than the game and McGinest isn't. Heck, John Madden shouldn't be in as a HC. One Super Bowl win - that would qualify a lot of HC.

Just my opinion MADDEN is in the hall of fame more as an "ambassdor of football" more than anything else.
Since they don't have that as an option they had to place him as a HC
Your point is valid though!
He's a humon cartoon but his antics have brought non- football fans to the game.
he's an infomercial for football-before MADDEN XXXX:cool:

HAMMERMILL said:
Just my opinion MADDEN is in the hall of fame more as an "ambassdor of football" more than anything else.
Since they don't have that as an option they had to place him as a HC
Your point is valid though!
He's a humon cartoon but his antics have brought non- football fans to the game.
he's an infomercial for football-before MADDEN XXXX:cool:
Yeah, I have NO PROBLEM with Madden being in. But he should be in as an announcer or whatever, not as a HC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes