PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels must go

Status
Not open for further replies.
onegameatatime said:
Can I get some examples of head-scratching play calls?

I'm open-minded on this, but would be interested in evidence of bad playcalling rather than general assertions of uncreative or predictable (as others have said).

That's just my point - any plays or possessions I deemed head-scratching during the game, hardly translate into complaints after the fact. You may want to ask some of the other posters who have targeted McDaniels. After a loss like today's, calling out the offensive coordinator is like lining up the usual suspects.

When all was said and done today, it was poor execution (failure to convert on 3rd down, poor pass blocking, etc.) that played the biggest role in the Pats loss.

Pats-blue, you're right so far. I do not think that "we did not do [play action, draws, etc] enough" is not much to go on. I still go back to about 400 yards gained, 2 turnovers, and several bad penaties as not suggesting a playcalling problem.

I was more down on the play-calling last week. At the risk of great ridicule, I confess I agreed with Madden about the Pats being too cute when they should have been running down the throat of the Colts.

onegameatatime said:
Pats-blue, you're right so far. I do not think that "we did not do [play action, draws, etc] enough" is not much to go on. I still go back to about 400 yards gained, 2 turnovers, and several bad penaties as not suggesting a playcalling problem.

I was more down on the play-calling last week. At the risk of great ridicule, I confess I agreed with Madden about the Pats being too cute when they should have been running down the throat of the Colts.

I would agree with that. I cringed when Madden said that as I thought the same thing....run it down thier throats..they couldn't stop it. The simpletons that think they can do a better job than our current coaching staff, couldn't call a good flag football game and have no idea what a REAL game and the information involved is...they "know" they could do better from the information they get from the TV. You won't get a REAL example because they couldn't even tell you what Defence the opposing team was in or what the DBs were doing at the snap of the ball or what coverage they were in...except SOMETIME when the play was OVER and the tv showed it in slo mo.....

No simple calls like they should have run more on the Colts I would agree with or getting cute. Hey the coaches don't get a pass...they need to do better also.

Personally I like leading the division, but otheres seem to like either being "right" in what ever twisted world they live in or rooting for a "exciting team" or have such foresight to realize the "season is over" with 7 games left in the regular season.

The self importance of some is amazing. Pats played crappy, people need to get over it and stop acting like stupid faider fans.

The playcalling that stuck out in my mind was the 2nd and 1 from the Jets 3 or 4 and they call a stretch play which loses a yard. Why not just pound it up the middle and get the first? Then on 3rd and 3 they line up in the gun with 4 wide, giving the Jets no illusions that they will be passing. Brady gets sacked by a 3 man rush (not McDaniels fault, but they never should have been in that spot in the first place, they should've just pounded Dillon up).

The second examples are on nearly every 3rd and medium play. Yes, on many, Brady overthrew or underthrew the intended receiver. But the receiver was almost always a good amount of yardage behind the first down marker anyways, and it was unlikely he would've gotten it. I can recall at least two examples of this (one an out to Watson, the other a hitch to Caldwell real early in the game), and I'm sure there were more. That's just bad playcalling, you don't call a play where the intended receiver does not go beyond the first down yardage.

primetime said:
The playcalling that stuck out in my mind was the 2nd and 1 from the Jets 3 or 4 and they call a stretch play which loses a yard. Why not just pound it up the middle and get the first? Then on 3rd and 3 they line up in the gun with 4 wide, giving the Jets no illusions that they will be passing. Brady gets sacked by a 3 man rush (not McDaniels fault, but they never should have been in that spot in the first place, they should've just pounded Dillon up).

The second examples are on nearly every 3rd and medium play. Yes, on many, Brady overthrew or underthrew the intended receiver. But the receiver was almost always a good amount of yardage behind the first down marker anyways, and it was unlikely he would've gotten it. I can recall at least two examples of this (one an out to Watson, the other a hitch to Caldwell real early in the game), and I'm sure there were more. That's just bad playcalling, you don't call a play where the intended receiver does not go beyond the first down yardage.

I still can't say tht these calls are obviously wrong. Since when has running wide with a fast back not been reasonable. Also, I suspect the shotgun was to avoid backpedalling in the mud, because I also found it a little surprising. Then again, how many of you found the number of 5-wide sets surprising against Minnesota?

On the 3rd and medium, you are assuming that Brady is throwing to the "intended receiver" and that there is no plan for him to get a first.

It's interesting that the resident OC critic's mantra is "play action", but most people who are criticizing would have liked to see more running up the middle. I would have liked that too. But I also recognize that:

while there are good and bad calls, there is also good and bad execution;

that some plays are called to set up other plays, so there may be a context we do not see;

there may be schemes we do not see, and players who are having good games, and players who are having off games or temporarily out of the game; and

that there is a wide range of situations where there are many calls that are acceptable and that the decision is just a matter of taste or choice.

For those who share the views of Mr. NEM, I would suggest that if you did not like Weis for 4 years and have not liked McDaniel for 2 years, maybe you have a problem with whatever philosophy is being set from the top, i.e., BB. The problem for you is that you can't dump on the genius, so you need to blame the underling.

Over the last few seasons the media has often noted how good a play action fake Brady has. To almost never use such an effective tool when you have a slam bang running game is just plain stupid. Not onlt would it help you with the passing game - regular use of the play fake also helps the running game because when used effectively it freezes the LB's as well as DB's because the LB's can't crash the line when in the back of their mind they're thinking - Brady's been faking all night and he might burn me with a pass. Not employing the play-fake when you have a QB who's good at it and you have great RB's is poor utilization of your resources.

And that 2 and 1 foot from the Jets 4 play call for a stretch play was just stupid, more of that fooling around stuff even Madden could see. You plow it straight ahead because that gives you a first down with little risk of losing yardage - a big no no near the goal line - unlike an outside play like Josh called which can be effectively blitzed with penetration. Just more dumb stuff.

Either way, Brady just isn't playing well, if he had been just a smidgen better that last two games we would have won regardless of the McDaniel's inanity.

Bump after this performance

Damn, NEM, I always thought you were a little overboard with the Josh McDaniels criticism... but.. damn, I am a man, I will admit it, can I get on the bandwagon?

I started a thread on this, but then saw someone else started one. I agree the guy needs to go and the personnel issues need to be addressed in the offseason.

This will be a long, NEM dominated week :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back