PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels must go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vataha1962

Rookie
Reaction score
Thia is my first post in 4 years, but I can't take it any more. Why is he bringing in Mahroney in on short yardage? Why isn''t Dillon in there? The pass protection is terrible and Brady's passes are terrible...I'm tired of hearing about the WR, when in fact they are bailing him out. These games are making me sick to my stomach....

Vataha1962 said:
Thia is my first post in 4 years, but I can't take it any more. Why is he bringing in Mahroney in on short yardage? Why isn''t Dillon in there? The pass protection is terrible and Brady's passes are terrible...I'm tired of hearing about the WR, when in fact they are bailing him out. These games are making me sick to my stomach....

A few of us would agree with you while a some lost ignorant fools would not agee with you.

I agree with you that Josh is not worthy for the offensive staff he has been given.

He is failing big time and Its not because we lost today. Its because we have lost 3 times when we could have won.

McDaniels is horrible....To those who disagree with me...sorry, you do not see the light....you are missing the point completely. We have become a sorry excuse for an offense with one of the greatest QB's ever to play the game.

Nem, I agree with completely.

Josh may not be relieved of his duties, but he should not be calling the game until he learns how to make the proper adjustments....

At this point he is not getting it. The DC's around the league know what he is trying to do. Its pathetic to watch.

Look at 3rd down efficiency:
Jets: 6-13 46%
Pat's: 3-12 25%

That is called FAILURE.

I'm not a huge McD fan, but I thought the playcalling was OK today for the most part - it was just poor execution the majority of the day.

I guess my only beef is why Chad Jackson doesn't play 3rd downs at all, and why they only use CJ on running plays - I'm completely in favor of easing him in slowly considering he missed all of training camp, but we're going to have to start to balance that with the need for a player who can stretch the field. If you notice, on the few passing plays that Jackson is in on, often a player gets open in the intermediate range b/c CJ drew coverage his way by getting deep.

I'm starting to think the same. We had no answer to the blitz.

How do you defeat a blitzing team? screens. draws.

how many did we run to make them honest? 0 that I can remember.

with Dillon, LoMo, Faulk, and a fairly mobile OL, why in the name of pete did we not????????????????????

Some other posters have declared the season over already. Not ready to go that far, but......

Down by 3 with 60 seconds to go, at their own 12 yd line, the Patriots offensive play calling and on-field performance had all the energy of a newborn calf. A five yard slant pass play over the middle-with-no-timeouts remaining call at your own 12 yd line had an eerie resemblance to the Eagles/McNabb meltdown in the final minutes of SB XXXIX. McDaniels should be reminded that this is not Southeast Conference football where a first down will stop the clock after a 1st down. The last minute playcalling doomed the Pats chances of winning this game.

I completely agree. It's the same old story. Play conservative until the game is in doubt and then open it up and move the ball. Either BB needs to get more involved or some change needs to be made. While I thought CW was too open, especially with leads late in the game, I'm really starting to miss the good old days. Charlie's approach was "I'm going to ram it down your throat, where Josh just seems to risk adversion.

Eagles | Morhinweg takes over playcalling duties Week 10
Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:55:45 -0800

The Associated Press reports Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg took over playcalling duties for the Week 10 game. The result was a more balanced attack that featured more runs than passes for the first time this season. Head coach Andy Reid said, "We were in a rut offensively and I was calling the plays. I told you it starts with me, so take a close look at yourself and you move on."

wish we can have someone else take over playcalling

Last edited:
I'm sure NEM would agree with me in that I HATE to say I told you so when it comes to McDaniels - because that means the team is faltering.

Of course, if the team wins the playcalling doesn't get half the scrutiny it should and that's what was happening through the first half of the season.

But I still think playcalling is only half of it - I still don't see the progress I think one must demand from the receivers. It might look like Brady's over or underthrowing - but it could be, and I believe it is, a case of receivers not being where they need to be.

Unfortunately it isn't always a matter of giving receivers "time" - some just aren't good route runners and I have a concern we've got more than a few on this team

The game plan is one thing, the 2 TE set has been ineffective it allows teams to crowd the box and makes blitzes hard to pick up. Like anything it should be used in moderation, compared to the Jets formations it looked like we a junior high team.

As bad as the defense played, and they got dominated on the LOS the offensive was worse. There was just no spark, or urgency, this is a direct result of the coordinators inability to inspire the group. Weis was a bully and hardass but it worked because players did not want to endure his wrath. McDaniels hasn't found his leadership style and the offense is sputtering as a result. I also think we overated the O line, they can neither run block or pass block consistently.

I have to agree here. At one point he called for a 3 yard out on a 3rd and 6. It's too bad they didn't hire Martz when he was available, though that would've necessitated changing the terminology, heaven forbid. Fassel's out there but doing that midseason would be real gutsy and probably not work out well. Demoting McDaniels to QB coach in favor of Scharneccia is the only move I can think that might work.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a big playcalling problem. Pats put up 400 yards, so I did not see a failure to move the ball.

I see execution problems, some bad penalties (untimely holding calls), and think something is amiss with TB. There are too many misses and bad throws, or possibly miscommunications (like that interception over the middle where either TB was way off or the receiver cut instead of turning). Also, TB was slipping a lot, like those two sacks in a row.

This looks like dumping on the new guy.

mcdaniels was calling plays last yr also without a decent running game ..but our offense was much better...i think thats something you cannot ignore

NEM said:
How good, or bad, that yu do onthird down is usually determined by the type of plays that are called on the preceeding two downs.

On many occasions people tend to blame Brady, or poor execution for not getting the first down.

This is so, in part, but the main reason is that when yu constantly put yourself into difficult third down situations, you are giving the opposing defense control of the play.

Typical NEM hindsight nonsense. Never changes.

And, in the Pats case, they offer very little subterfuge (if that is the correct word) when they go to empty backfields, have not used any play action to make the defense think a little, and when the conti8nually call the same plays, primarily out patterns, which are easily defended...as the receivers are not a full speed as they would be on crossings or slants inside where they have room to run.

And, the third down situations when they have very short yardage, why the hell do you hand off to a back who is DEEP in the backfield? This is high school play calling, at best.

Twice today, for the first time in a long time, play action was finally called. Of course, by then the Pats were trying to play catch up.

And, on both occasions, the play action worked perfectly.

The first time they had Watson all alone, fairly deep, but Brady overthrew him by a mile and a half.

The second time it worked perfectly, and Brady completed a long gainer, I think it was Caldwell. But, it was called back for illegal formation....the responsibility of the offensive coordinator to teach these players what is legal, and what is not.

Well, then. I guess a rational person would conclude it didn't work after all.

ANd, screen passes?????? HA HA

Draw Plays???? HA HA

McDaniels is way the hell out of his league. At 27 years old he has not enough knowledge, or intelligence, or experience to warrant such an important position. He will constantly, and continue to be, abused and ujsed by the good old guys of the NFL defensive coordinators club.

If Belichick refuses to accept that he made a mistake with McDaniels, NOW, then this is gonna be a rough ride the rest of the year.

McDaniuels needs to be demoted, a quarterback coach needs to be called in who KNOWS QUARTERBACKS and a new offensive coordinator needs to be named for the rest of the season...and I, for one, would knock on Stever Grogan's door.

Or Danny White's door.

Or NEM's door.

You still have a door? I guess (self induced) rumors of your impending demise were just BS then, huh?

But McDaniels is the most pitiful excuse I have ever seen in that position.Charlie had some problems, IMO, but Charley recognized them, and made the changes, and was willing to open up the game plan...McDaniels is into his little world, by himself...and he is too friggin young for the job....PERIOD.

A 27 year old offensive coordinator cannot draw respect from older players who have seen victory.... he can not teach them....he is a waste to the team.

I saw this from day one, this season, and even though we were winning, I could see this happening...and now it is happening. Hopefully it will not be too late. McDaniels needed to be cut weekis ago....but so many of you refused to open your eyes.

Yeah, Brady has been off, too...but McDaniels is the crux of the problem.

With Brady, it is the same thing that happens to many good players, in all sports...get your freakin mind off of your girl friend, or wife, and get back to concentrating on the freakin game....Women destroy far too many good ball players and destroy their careers.

What a pathetic croc, as usual.

Perhaps if Dillon were available they would run him - but I guess you didn't notice from your seat at the Vine (if you had the $$$ to watch from that vantage point tonight) that he was AGAIN MIA most of the evening after his 50 yard dash. Just like our #1 WR went MIA after he fumbled us into a 9 minute JETS scoring drive.

God do we ever need as Assclown Asylum here.

SVN said:
mcdaniels was calling plays last yr also without a decent running game ..but our offense was much better...i think thats something you cannot ignore

It's tough to compare anything to last season - the dynamic was so different. For a decent portion of the middle of the season, our D was so pourous that all games turned to shootouts. That's not the identity of this team.

onegameatatime said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a big playcalling problem. Pats put up 400 yards, so I did not see a failure to move the ball.

I see execution problems, some bad penalties (untimely holding calls), and think something is amiss with TB. There are too many misses and bad throws, or possibly miscommunications (like that interception over the middle where either TB was way off or the receiver cut instead of turning). Also, TB was slipping a lot, like those two sacks in a row.

This looks like dumping on the new guy.

Yup. I agree. I'm not absolving McDaniels from some head-scratching play calls today, but these last two losses fall squarely on the shoulders of the players and their poor execution.

BradyManny2344 said:
It's tough to compare anything to last season - the dynamic was so different. For a decent portion of the middle of the season, our D was so pourous that all games turned to shootouts. That's not the identity of this team.
sure , but our offense was much better than this with mcdaniels calling plays and also against a much tougher schedule...what i mean is the same thing you say its not the same team ..so mcdaniels is not the only reason this O s**ks..

Murphys95 said:
Yup. I agree. I'm not absolving McDaniels from some head-scratching play calls today, but these last two losses fall squarely on the shoulders of the players and their poor execution.

Can I get some examples of head-scratching play calls?

I'm open-minded on this, but would be interested in evidence of bad playcalling rather than general assertions of uncreative or predictable (as others have said).

onegameatatime said:
Can I get some examples of head-scratching play calls?

I'm open-minded on this, but would be interested in evidence of bad playcalling rather than general assertions of uncreative or predictable (as others have said).

You will NEVER get them...oh you might get a play or two out of the 62 the Pats ran but no real examples. You will get a cherry picked play where the jests stopped the Pats.....oh and that bad EXECUTION by Brady (overthrown pass (s) )??? Brady ONLY overthrew it because of being "set up" by bad play calling. Yep if it is 3rd and 6, Brady is doomed to failure and has such fear placed on him by this HOPELESS situation he has been placed in he will overthrow the receiver by 5 yards. I know what your thinking that Brady is one of the best QBs in the game and shouldn't overthrow a WIDEOPEN receiver by 5 yards, but it isn't his fault. No NFL QB could handle being put into a 3rd down passing situation.....AGAIN I know what you are thinking...the PLAY CALL WORKED!!! The receiver was open and Brady got the pass off to the WIDEOPEN receiver but over threw him. NOT his fault, it is the OC for putting him in a 3rd and 6. Even though the players didn't execute the play (which worked...open receiver) it is the OCs fault....terrible, terrible play calling....how can anyone expect Brady to complete a pass to a WIDEOPEN receiver after suffering so much mental trauma from the OCs play calling????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back