PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniel, I'd like to introduce you to a screen pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this in another thread. Does it matter? I don't know, I am just posting what I researched, you guys can decide

Re: What's with all the McDaniels hate?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
so, this week was 21 rushes, 33 passes, not to bad.
last week was almost 50/50
Pitt was 7 rushes 46 passes
ravens : 20 runs, 34 passes
Philly: 13 runs, 54 passes.

Week 1: Run 34 pass 28
Week 2: Run 27, pass 31
Week 3: 36 run, 29 passes
week 4: 29 runs, 32 passes.

I just think we have been inconsistant the past few weeks and I also think we ran a lot more consistantly when morris was part of the plan.

These numbers seem quite different than the last 4 weeks.

have any of you jd bashers realized that if he calls in a stupid play, BILL CAN SAY "NO" AND TELL HIM TO CALL SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
its not like bill has given complete control over the entire offence to josh. he is following a gameplan that he and bill created.
at this point, if you bash josh for a one-time screw up, fine. but if you are bashing him for a consistent thing that you think is a screw up, you are bashing bill.

I don't think there is the time BETWEEN plays for BB to overrule the offensive play very often.....and if he is overruling regularly.....why have an OC to begin with?.........I think overalll Josh has done a good job as OC (especially with the weapons that he has been given this year).....but he is often slow to make adjustments, and lacks creativity alot.......I am still surprised that somehow, Stallworth has not been involved more in the passing game.....

I don't think there is the time BETWEEN plays for BB to overrule the offensive play very often.....and if he is overruling regularly.....why have an OC to begin with?.........I think overalll Josh has done a good job as OC (especially with the weapons that he has been given this year).....but he is often slow to make adjustments, and lacks creativity alot.......I am still surprised that somehow, Stallworth has not been involved more in the passing game.....

i dont think he is overruling at all. as for adjustments and creativity, you might be on to something, that maybe bill has to tell him which direction to go. as for stallworth not being involved, i started a thread about that. he is always open, and i have no clue as to why brady is flat out ignoring him.

We won the ******* game by 21 points and the offense scored 28. We are what 7 points away from scoring more points than any other team in the history of the NFL, our QB is two TD's away from throwing 50, our WR is 2 TD's shy of the all time record for TD receptions. We have scored more TD's than any other team in league history. we have the highest point differential in the history of the NFL, we have won 18 consecutive regular season games for the 2nd time in 3 years, oh yeah, we are 15-0 to boot!

All that and there is plenty more, and yet people need something to ***** about.

Maybe all the whine asses should get their own board. You can call it [email protected] your slogan can be "we ain't happy unless we are miserable".

The problem is "colby" that if you show up for "half the game" on offense against a GOOD team....you LOSE........The point is watch Brady's face during the second half of this game.....You will see alot of frustration....apparent forced plays going on and not succeeding........He was not mailing it in....or putting it in neutral.......knowing that the opponent (Miami) was incapable of coming back against us.....He was still trying to make a big play happen......and we went NOWHERE..........That scares me.....If we come out with guns blazing.....rack up a bunch of points early....against Indy....and then start sleepwalking.....of force the "BIG" Plays all second half......we are done......

Brady and McDaniel have to be smarter than that.....I haven't seen Brady check down much in the past 5 games.....It seems to be always "Where is Randy?" and then throw it to him.......We need to mix it up more......go to the RB option pass......hit the screen......lull them into something.....and then go deep to Moss.......I think we mixed it up well overall first half.....Lost that edge in the second.........thx

i dont think he is overruling at all. as for adjustments and creativity, you might be on to something, that maybe bill has to tell him which direction to go. as for stallworth not being involved, i started a thread about that. he is always open, and i have no clue as to why brady is flat out ignoring him.

Good post shrew.....I think he is letting Josh do his job overall.......the next day after watching the tape.....I'm sure he (Josh) hears about all the mistakes and then some.......I do think they have to mix it up more and more,......because everyone is keying on Moss primarily.....and Welker second.....we do nothing with our TE now that Watson is out.....and Stallworth as you say.....is the odd man out for whatever reason.......thanx for your great insight

The problem is "colby" that if you show up for "half the game" on offense against a GOOD team....you LOSE........The point is watch Brady's face during the second half of this game.....You will see alot of frustration....apparent forced plays going on and not succeeding........He was not mailing it in....or putting it in neutral.......knowing that the opponent (Miami) was incapable of coming back against us.....He was still trying to make a big play happen......and we went NOWHERE..........That scares me.....If we come out with guns blazing.....rack up a bunch of points early....against Indy....and then start sleepwalking.....of force the "BIG" Plays all second half......we are done......

Brady and McDaniel have to be smarter than that.....I haven't seen Brady check down much in the past 5 games.....It seems to be always "Where is Randy?" and then throw it to him.......We need to mix it up more......go to the RB option pass......hit the screen......lull them into something.....and then go deep to Moss.......I think we mixed it up well overall first half.....Lost that edge in the second.........thx

Why run screens against a 3 and 4 man rush? That doesn't make any sense. And screens aren't needed as a regular part of an offense. They are there to counter a blitz. And right now Welker in the slot is doing a damn fine job of that. So I have to ask why run a screen? Just for the sake of running a screen? To appease the fan base?

I agree Brady was pressing for the most part last week, when they passed and in the 2nd half of this game. He wants the record, but to say he hasn't checked down much in the past 5 games is a stretch of the truth. He checks down when he has to, when the game is tight. You act as if the guy has forgotten how to play QB.

Last edited:
What an idiot!!
Don't be so hard on yourself. Sure, it was a stupid post to start a stupid thread with, but that just means you're a moron, not a full-blown idiot. Go easy on yourself, chum.

The problem is "colby" that if you show up for "half the game" on offense against a GOOD team....you LOSE........
The point is that great teams have let downs against weak teams, called a trap game. Now when a great team shows up to play and builds a 28 point lead, and then lets down, that is totally understandable. Not one person in the known universe thought that the game was in jeopardy in the second half.

To say that because the Pats, with a 28 point lead, let down agaisnt the hapless 1-14 Dolphins, then the Pats will let down against the Cowboys when the game is on the line is ... well, kind of a stretch.

Last edited:
Josh McDaniels is a very mediocre offensive coordinator. I thought he was brutal last year, and think he's been just as brutal this year, but the only difference is the added talent has masked his questionable play calling. I know, I know, look at all the points, look at the record, yada, yada, yada...I hope Atlanta hires him in the offseason. :D

I think he's been very cunning to run an offense that scores the most touchdowns ever, knowing it would hide his complete inadequacy as offensive coordinator.

Fans trying to tell a professional NFL coach how to do his job on a message board is so friggen' arrogant.

Why runs screens against a 3 and 4 man rush? That doesn't make any sense. And screens aren't needed as a regular part of an offense. They are there to counter a blitz. And right now Welker in the slot is doing a damn fine job of that. So I have to ask why run a screen? Just for the sake of running a screen? To appease the fan base?

Took this thread 46 posts until someone with a clue finally got into why the topic was so ridiculous.

Now lets get back to discussing things like "creativity," "balance," and "artistic merit" in play-calling.

Also... I would like to point out... When Brady goes deep to Moss, he doesn't HAVE to go deep to Moss. It's not like McDaniels is sending out a play where the only route being run is Randy Moss deep...

Brady chooses to take a shot at those routes, he doesn't HAVE to. Why does he do it?

BECAUSE HE IS ARGUABLY THE GREATEST QUARTERBACK IN NFL HISTORY AND IS THROWING TO ARGUABLY THE GREATEST WIDE RECEIVER IN NFL HISTORY AND THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME, IF HE THROWS TO MOSS DEEP, IT'S EITHER GOING TO BE A COMPLETED PASS BECAUSE THESE GUYS ARE ARGUABLY THE GREATEST QB-WR TANDEM IN HISTORY AND CAN DO AMAZING THINGS, OR IT'S GONNA BE A PENALTY ON THE DEFENSE.

But let's run screen passes against a defense that's dropping everyone back. Sounds good. Cuz you know, our OL will be able to block the SEVEN GUYS in space that they would need to block to make the screen work.

Last edited:
The Patriots use this very predictable offensive game plan next week against an athletic and quick Giants D-line and they'll be
taking Tom Brady off the field on a stretcher.
Ridiculous how many times Brady was on the ground today.
Ridiculous how many plays were called with Brady in an empty backfield looking to pass down field.
Smarten up Josh!!!!!!

Yeah, if they only listened to you Brady wouldn't get hit or sacked as often as he actually does.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Patriots use this very predictable offensive game plan next week against an athletic and quick Giants D-line and they'll be
taking Tom Brady off the field on a stretcher.
Ridiculous how many times Brady was on the ground today.
Ridiculous how many plays were called with Brady in an empty backfield looking to pass down field.
Smarten up Josh!!!!!!

You do realize that the Pats were playing with only 1 TE who was signed about 10 day ago and was only playing in his 2nd game, right?

Yes, they could have used Britt or O'Callaghan, but if you think that the plays were predictable today, they'd be even more so with those guys out there.

Umm.. As for your saying it was ridiculous how often Tom Brady was on the ground, sorry, no, it wasn't.

Yes, I didn't like the empty backfield looks so much.. But the Pats still produced a win.

You guys are incapable of talking X's and O's of football. Scary!!
You're the ones we see at Fenway in pink hats aren't you? :D
Embarrassing lack of analytical football fans on this site.

Let us know when you actually START talking X's and O's. You haven't done that yet..

First and foremost, you need to consider the personnel that was available. Clearly, you haven't done that.

Next, you have to consider what the score was. At half-time, the Pats were up 28-0. The game was well in hand... There was no need to break open the play book with screens.. OH, and, since you didn't actually watch the game, the Pats DID run 3 or 4 play-action passes. The problem is that the Phins were ready for it.

You will take alot of shots from the rose colored glass wearers here....so be ready for it.....but you are RIGHT......

McDaniels.....and Brady....are looking for the big time play far too often,......where was the dump offs to Kevin Faulk......or.....Maroney (I can almost guarantee (anthony smith) you go to Maroney on the RB dump where he has seperation of a few yards.....and he will break it for a big gain......But..it seems like the quick screen/10 yard pass for a first down ....has been decreased in our playcalling list........Seems like we are going for the homerun alot.....and let's get this straight....The league....is more often than not .....NOT going to call a PI against our opponents on Randy Moss......he was raped by 3 doofins on that last deep pass to the endzone.......phil simms said..."Oh, if anything that was against Randy Moss there"......then after watching the replay in which Moss NEVER F'ING touched a doofin player and had his head snapped back he said "Errr...um....well actually seemed like the dolphins defenders might have gotten some interference there".......We need to get back to what got us here....the sharp 10-15 strikes.....the screens.....the RB dump offs......etc......

Are you listening Josh? PS>....why can we not get Stallworth involved?

Clearly, another person who didn't watch the game.

Stallworth was involved.
Brady is the one who makes the decisions on which receiver to go to.
Brady hit Gaffney with a couple of beautiful passes. Thought that you'd like to know.
Since you didn't watch the game, Faulk was covered most of the time on the dump offs.

How about you give Miami some credit? Or is that asking too much?

How about you give Miami some credit? Or is that asking too much?

Are you serious? You can't possibly think that another team in the NFL is capable of playing well, I know you are joking.

Jeezus get with the program, the Patriots are so good and the rest of the NFL sucks so bad that we should be able to show up and score 50 points. And if we don't then Josh McDaniels, Lawrence Maroney, (insert Goat of the week (in a 15-0 season) here) sucks!

Got it?

:D

Actually, I found myself quostioning McDaniels a few times in the past few weeks. When you have a team as loaded as this playing against inferior personnel, why try to finesse the situation? It seems they could or should just line up and impose their will and beat them. I witnessed too many pass on first down incompletes, followed by a run on 2nd down (I mean, if your going to commit to the pass, then do it), which set up a 3rd and long. I saw Brady take unnecessary hits over and over again. It just felt like a bad rythem (aka. Larry Kennan offense). I don't give McDaniels a free pass because he is a coach and I'm a fan. He is a young intelligent football mind, but that doesn't make him infallible nor does that make him a genius. He's aware of the talent and potential he has at his fingertips, but who's to say he doesn't feel the hype and make arrogant calls that lead to bad plays? I've seen strings of plays that even when they come to the line I can tell what's coming (wtf?), and I'm not referring to smashmouth where it doesn't matter. I just hope that against the Colts of Jags in the AFCCG he doesn't get cute with the plays when its crunch time.

You guys are incapable of talking X's and O's of football. Scary!!
You're the ones we see at Fenway in pink hats aren't you? :D
Embarrassing lack of analytical football fans on this site.

Embarrassing lack of intelligence in your posts.
We led 28-0 at halftime.
We have set teh NFL recrod for TDs in a season.
We are 1 TD away from the points record.
We are 1 TD behind both the individual TD pass and TD catch records.

And the best you can muster is criticism of the offensive coordinator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News