PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Thomas sell off

Status
Not open for further replies.
seattle needs a left tackle. wouldn't be surprised if they trade for one of the joes.

Agreed. Problem is that you'd then be trading a 2nd round pick for an 8 game + playoffs rental (assuming trade happens during bye week). Is he worth the resources for this year, given that he doesn't know the Pats system, and that Cannon and Fleming have done a respectable job so far with Scar back?

But he was free. Pats had him for 19 games and didn't cost anything other than cap space. So a little bit of a different situation. If they think Thomas is a potential long-term (i.e. 2017 and 2018) solution and are able to get him to fit into the cap structure that they want, then great. But that's a bit of an unknown at this point.

I remember that Thomas was a Brady supporter during the Defamegate crap.

I'm sure he'd love to play for BB, and the Pats give him a better chance at a SB win than the Broncos with Kubiak and Semian.

If Thomas wants to renovate his contract and the Browns will kick a draft pick back, maybe the Pats can trade their #2 for Thomas and a 4th or 5th round pick.

Last edited:
I remember that Thomas was a Brady supporter during the Defamegate crap.

I'm sure he'd love to play for BB, and the Pats give him a bether chance at a SB win than the Broncos with Kubiak and Semian.

If Thomas wants to renovate his contract and the Browns will kck a draft pick back, maybe the Pats can trade their #2 for Thomas and a 4th or 5th round pick.

The little I've heard about Thomas off the field has been nothing but positive; what's out there screams perfect Patriot.

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat if the Pats thought he could play at a high level during the contract. Besides that, the issues are if that would work for Cleveland (the 4th or 5th round kicker) and if Thomas would be willing to redo his deal to be a little more team-friendly for the opportunity to play for a winner. Not peanuts of course, but less than $20M over the next 2 years.

Trade for Haden, think I've seen enough of Ryan. Although not sure how Haden has looked so far this season, he did get burned by Hogan few weeks ago.

Yeah, lets replace a mediocre CB on a rookie contract with a mediocre player on a big contract. Genius.

I wanted Thomas several years back! I hope we get him, we need to give Tom Nrady every weapon he can since we don't have too much time since Tom is 39 now and I want to get him that 5th championship ring bad for him!
A stable o-line is gonna carry you through the playoffs!

I think a potential trade would depend on what BB & co. expect to be available in FA / next Draft. We will definitely need a tackle to replace Vollmer, so if they don't see anything being there a trade for Thomas might make sense.

That being said with Scar's return Cannon is once again playing up to his full potential and is a pretty solid RT. Amazing how much difference a OL coach makes.

Can decline his roster bonus after this season and there would be no cap hit at all.

Would declining that option be the same as with Revis, where'd he'd be eligible for a compensatory pick?

Staley might be the better pick up. His cap hit is something like $5m and some change and is signed through 2019. Which of the two would work better at RT?

hope we dont trade a 2nd rounder for a player past his prime. wrong side of 30. plenty of risk there

Staley might be the better pick up. His cap hit is something like $5m and some change and is signed through 2019. Which of the two would work better at RT?

Staley's 2017 base is $8.25m, and his other bonuses would bring his cap number to about $9m. There's a nice financial dropoff after that, but SF is asking for a 1st rounder as a baseline, according to reports.

hope we dont trade a 2nd rounder for a player past his prime. wrong side of 30. plenty of risk there

I tend to agree as a general principle, but this is no ordinary player. I think he has been an All-Pro every year he has been in the league, first team AP for most of those, and has never missed a game.

You would be wrong then. Both Solder and Cannon have been playing well in recent weeks.

This team needs pass rushers and secondary help far more than tackle help. I would argue the Pats need RG help more than tackle help.
'
Not disagreeing with you on the OP, but do you think Mason has been a problem or can be upgraded with a trade. Besides we have Jackson ready to come back within weeks, which would strengthen the G position (which I would agree is thin at this moment)

So we have Vollmer going to be a free agent next year and Marcus Cannon who has looked better but is still not someone you really want to rely upon for the play-offs.

This trade would be very much short term but if short term = another Super Bowl ring then I think most people would take it.

I look at Dallas's O-line and all the praise Dak Prescott and Zeke are getting and I wonder whether both rookies are sensational and could they give as good performances for another team with a different O-line.

Joe Thomas seems a fine person, a team first guy and has been All Pro most of his career. He could really give Brady even more time to find that open receiver.

Offensive linemen are usually able to maintain a high level of play well into their 30s. Not too worried about age here with these two. But the question remains: which would be more effective at RT? Don't they both play on the left side?

Yes and no.

Rich Hill did a nice analysis on BB and 2nd rounders. As we know hes killed it on Gronk, Branch, Jimmy G and Collins, did OK on guys like Vereen, etc but over 70% of the 2nd rd picks have been busts which is above the league bust-rate average. Why? BB gambles more than any other team on questionables.

So the question is....do you trade a 2nd for a known a known quantity or roll the dice on another potential Gronk, Collins or Branch?

Staley's 2017 base is $8.25m, and his other bonuses would bring his cap number to about $9m. There's a nice financial dropoff after that, but SF is asking for a 1st rounder as a baseline, according to reports.

Yeah, that would look like an easy potential restructure because of the drop-off in 2018/2019 salaries. Convert $6M of his 2017 base to a signing bonus, and you get cap hits of ~$5M, $7.5M and $7.5M from 2017-2019. And cap savings of $3.5M and $5.5M if released prior to 2018/2019. The 1st round pick is the real issue here (well, that and the Patriots' evaluation of how they think he'd fit and last over the long term).

Last edited:
A second rounder is high, but it will be at the end of the second round. Then there's the hope that Garappolo will bring us a boatload of picks back.

Yes and no.

Rich Hill did a nice analysis on BB and 2nd rounders. As we know hes killed it on Gronk, Branch, Jimmy G and Collins, did OK on guys like Vereen, etc but over 70% of the 2nd rd picks have been busts which is above the league bust-rate average. Why? BB gambles more than any other team on questionables.

So the question is....do you trade a 2nd for a known a known quantity or roll the dice on another potential Gronk, Collins or Branch?
I would always trade a pick for a proven player, but it seems most of the league disagrees when you look at the miniscule pick value veteran players get.
To me, the possible drawback is will it hamper keeping other players who are going to be Free Agents.
Yes, we can easily fit it into the cap, but we have to fit it into next years as well with all of the players. If Thomas cap hit next year is 10 mill, then it will be 10 mill we can't spend on other players, and that is an important factor.
Aside from that, improving the OL in front of the GOAT is always a good thing. I am more concerned about C and RG though than about the tackles, but an injury would drastically change that.

You would be wrong then. Both Solder and Cannon have been playing well in recent weeks.

This team needs pass rushers and secondary help far more than tackle help. I would argue the Pats need RG help more than tackle help.
'
It's not our starting Ts I'm worried about. We're an injury to solder or cannon away from a pretty bad situation. Having cannon as a backup, with the ability to flip Thomas to the left side is a huge improvement.

I would always trade a pick for a proven player, but it seems most of the league disagrees when you look at the miniscule pick value veteran players get.
To me, the possible drawback is will it hamper keeping other players who are going to be Free Agents.
Yes, we can easily fit it into the cap, but we have to fit it into next years as well with all of the players. If Thomas cap hit next year is 10 mill, then it will be 10 mill we can't spend on other players, and that is an important factor.
Aside from that, improving the OL in front of the GOAT is always a good thing. I am more concerned about C and RG though than about the tackles, but an injury would drastically change that.

Thats what I would do too. BB has done it before (Dillon, etc) so it's not a foreign concept to him. I was stating what BB's philosophy is with 2nd rounders. He really rolls the dice.

While the salary and the age are impediments to doing a deal, I think Thomas would do great here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back