PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Thomas sell off

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not our starting Ts I'm worried about. We're an injury to solder or cannon away from a pretty bad situation. Having cannon as a backup, with the ability to flip Thomas to the left side is a huge improvement.
I feel like it's a bit of an overreaction to trade for the best left tackle of the last decade because we're worried about the #3 tackle not being good enough.

In one series yesterday, Solder gave up a hurry on Brady followed by consecutive holding penalties. The tackles worry me

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you on the OP, but do you think Mason has been a problem or can be upgraded with a trade. Besides we have Jackson ready to come back within weeks, which would strengthen the G position (which I would agree is thin at this moment)

No. I think he has been a bigger problem than the tackles in recent week. I don't look at the o-line as a big issue right now at all. Most of this team's needs are on defense and special teams.

It's not our starting Ts I'm worried about. We're an injury to solder or cannon away from a pretty bad situation. Having cannon as a backup, with the ability to flip Thomas to the left side is a huge improvement.

Think the Pats can upgrade the depth at the position, but I don't think they need to use a second day pick to get a starter who may be an one year rental. They can pick up a solid depth guy for far less.

In one series yesterday, Solder have up a hurry on Brady followed by consecutive holding penalties. The tackles worry me
That's definitely not good or anything, but Howe had those three plays as Solder's only three pass blocking miscues. It's easy to extrapolate three obvious mistakes and assume there were many more, but it looks like that wasn't the case.

That's definitely not good or anything, but Howe had those three plays as Solder's only three pass blocking miscues. It's easy to extrapolate three obvious mistakes and assume there were many more, but it looks like that wasn't the case.
If you think about things that could derail a SB Champ in the making, losing Solder to an injury is very, very high on the list, given the replacements.
Thomas is one of the best OTs in the NFL so it would improve the starting lineup a lot in addition to protecting against the weakest depth area.

If you think about things that could derail a SB Champ in the making, losing Solder to an injury is very, very high on the list, given the replacements.
Thomas is one of the best OTs in the NFL so it would improve the starting lineup a lot in addition to protecting against the weakest depth area.
There ARE other things that would have to be considered in a Thomas acquisition beyond cap consequence and draft picks.

I agree that Thomas would improve the quality of the the Pats OT group...but the question would be by how much. How much better would the OL as a group be with Thomas? Then there is even the more important question of can Thomas play RT, and if he can't, can Solder make the switch after playing his entire career on the left side? For the casual fan it would seem like a no brainer, but in real like, as you know, it's not so easy.

This thread is like when people thought we should trade for Jimmy Graham so he can play next to Gronk. It's called diminishing returns, people!

But then he'd be a free agent, right? So a 2nd round pick for a 9 game (maybe 12) rental? That's too much.

Would they get a 3rd round comp pick then if he left as a free agent? If so, you're essentially moving down from a 2nd to a 3rd in order to get an all-pro tackle.

Solder has had his ups and downs and Cannon is always an adventure. That being said, our special teams have been anything but special. Ghost is going to cost us a game unless he gets his act together soon. Yesterday, we had trouble stopping their returns and eventually just went with kicks into the end zone. Allen had a couple of awful punts. Add in Edelman's fumble turning a positive return into a scoring opportunity for the Steelers and we could have given this game away.

There ARE other things that would have to be considered in a Thomas acquisition beyond cap consequence and draft picks.

I agree that Thomas would improve the quality of the the Pats OT group...but the question would be by how much. How much better would the OL as a group be with Thomas? Then there is even the more important question of can Thomas play RT, and if he can't, can Solder make the switch after playing his entire career on the left side? For the casual fan it would seem like a no brainer, but in real like, as you know, it's not so easy.

I seem to recall Solder filling in at RT early in his career.

I seem to recall Solder filling in at RT early in his career.

2011, when Vollmer got hurt, he played RT while Light played LT. He also played TE-eligible a number of times that season in short yardage situations (basically replacing Alge Crumpler from the year before).

Yes and no.

Rich Hill did a nice analysis on BB and 2nd rounders. As we know hes killed it on Gronk, Branch, Jimmy G and Collins, did OK on guys like Vereen, etc but over 70% of the 2nd rd picks have been busts which is above the league bust-rate average. Why? BB gambles more than any other team on questionables.

So the question is....do you trade a 2nd for a known a known quantity or roll the dice on another potential Gronk, Collins or Branch?
Offensive linemen are usually able to maintain a high level of play well into their 30s. Not too worried about age here with these two. But the question remains: which would be more effective at RT? Don't they both play on the left side?

I would rather not make the trade, but I certainly would not complain if it did happen. Obviously Thomas is a great player. It is true that offensive lineman can play well into their 30s. that is not unusual. I domhave concerns about a decline though, Its coming, but when and how fast

This thread is like when people thought we should trade for Jimmy Graham so he can play next to Gronk. It's called diminishing returns, people!
How is it diminishing returns to replace Marcus cannon with a HOFer?

How is it diminishing returns to replace Marcus cannon with a HOFer?

As well as improving your depth when Cannon becomes a reserve.

One way of looking at this, assuming that Thomas can play for another 5 years, is that he is the replacement for the 1st rounder that was stolen.

The Pats have problems signing all their guys now, which is why Jones was traded.

Thomas could be the 1st rounder that leaves after his first contract.

Well...he is 32... and will cost 20 mill for 17 & 18...when he will be 34...not to mention draft compensation....sounds like an expensive gamble to rent a player for two years...With out a team friendly negociation, it will not happen...Does he want a ring more than we need him.......

Moving cannon to backup T would also provide a good emergency option for those people worried about G depth. That's a really solid OL rotation if you ask me. Belichick always says it's about improving all 53, not just the starters. This would improve the starting OL as well as 2 additional depth positions (Cannon at T and G as opposed to Waddle at just T).

...unless you're really against the idea of letting go of LaAdrian Waddle....

Well...he is 32... and will cost 20 mill for 17 & 18...when he will be 34...not to mention draft compensation....sounds like an expensive gamble to rent a player for two years...With out a team friendly negociation, it will not happen...Does he want a ring more than we need him.......
It would definitely require a reworking of the contract, but I could see giving up the 2nd. Hell, might as well trade as many draft picks as possible before Goodell takes them for no reason.

As well as improving your depth when Cannon becomes a reserve.

One way of looking at this, assuming that Thomas can play for another 5 years, is that he is the replacement for the 1st rounder that was stolen.

The Pats have problems signing all their guys now, which is why Jones was traded.

Thomas could be the 1st rounder that leaves after his first contract.
He costs 4 times as much as the stolen first rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back