PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Thuney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Family

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Are we asleep on Joe Thuney?

I think the prevailing thinking is the Pats will not be able to sign him, but as camp unfolds he seems like the most consistent offensive lineman. Bedard singled him today as the #1 up so far.

Someone mentioned on another thread that no rookie ever comes in and looks good from day one, when referring to Harry, but Thuney actually did. He lined up with the starters from day one.

Now they are trying Thuney at left tackle. The argument is with Mason/Cannon the Pats will not invest more in the offensive line, but I think they would cut Cannon, if needed. Thuney probably won't demand top free agents dollars. He will be paid well, but I think BB will look at Thuneys versatility, consistency, and health and decide he's a keeper.

I think the prevailing thinking is the Pats will not be able to sign him, but as camp unfolds he seems like the most consistent offensive lineman. Bedard singled him today as the #1 up so far.

Someone mentioned on another thread that no rookie ever comes in and looks good from day one, when referring to Harry, but Thuney actually did. He lined up with the starters from day one.

Now they are trying Thuney at left tackle. The argument is with Mason/Cannon the Pats will not invest more in the offensive line, but I think they would cut Cannon, if needed. Thuney probably won't demand top free agents dollars. He will be paid well, but I think BB will look at Thuneys versatility, consistency, and health and decide he's a keeper.
There have been reports they are negotiating an extension with Thuney

I'm guessing something got misunderstood regarding that post about rookies. Plenty of rookies at other positions come in and look good from day one just not rookie WRs in this offense. I think the reason many folks see Thuney as gone is because they believe the opposite of what you do, that some team will back up the money truck for him and he is looking at a big payday. For me I'm hopeful with any luck he and New England will work out on an extension and it won't come to that.

Last edited:

Last year I was the only one putting him on Mason's level & saying he was better than Brown:D. I don't think anyone is sleeping on him now & think he'll get big money w another repeat year.

Thuney has been a rock star along the line. I think he could kick over to LT and not miss a beat...if needed. Probably gone after this year.

It seems to me playing Thuney at tackle is just position train for "emergencies only". To take a good guard and play him at a position he would be weaker in just compounds a problem. Better to have Thuney help whoever plays Tackle and maybe put a TE over to help out.

I hadn't seen that, but this is the guy you keep.
As the Brady years end, the way you win going forward starts in the trenches.

I'm guessing something got misunderstood regarding that post about rookies. Plenty of rookies at other positions come in and look good from day one just not rookie WRs in this offense.

Agreed, rookie starters at other positions have not been uncommon. As for WR, though, it's hard to say what the typical trajectory is for a successful draftee since we haven't seen one in so long!

I always sleep on o-lineman. How else am I going to experience this?
giphy.gif

Thuney has been a rock since drafted. Plays every game and I more than holds his own. Size of contract will dictate next steps as I'm sure the Pats would like to keep him if affordable.

Agreed, rookie starters at other positions have not been uncommon. As for WR, though, it's hard to say what the typical trajectory is for a successful draftee since we haven't seen one in so long!

And in the past decade the few we have seen haven't done much of anything in their rookie years, if ever. Braxton Berrios at best gets an incomplete. Out of Devin Lucien, Malcolm Mitchell, Jeremy Gallon, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Jeremy Ebert and Taylor Price only Dobson had so much as a 500 yd season. We recall Mitchell fondly for his SB contribution but really there wasn't much else about the only year he was able to contribute to make it memorable.

If I'm Thuney I've got the whole rings thing covered, I'm thinking about a big chunk of change and playing somewhere nicer to live than ****ing Foxboro.

I hope he stays

Thuney is gone.

We are running low on 3rd rounders anyways.

If I'm Thuney I've got the whole rings thing covered, I'm thinking about a big chunk of change and playing somewhere nicer to live than ****ing Foxboro.

4dalwfvgn8o01.jpg

I'm guessing something got misunderstood regarding that post about rookies. Plenty of rookies at other positions come in and look good from day one just not rookie WRs in this offense. I think the reason many folks see Thuney as gone is because they believe the opposite of what you do, that some team will back up the money truck for him and he is looking at a big payday. For me I'm hopeful with any luck he and New England will work out on an extension and it won't come to that.

My statement was there have been few rookies who look good from day one. More specifically I meant there are few who play with the starters from the first day of training camp and never come out.

How many can you think of? Chandler Jones might have been the last one.

My statement was there have been few rookies who look good from day one. More specifically I meant there are few who play with the starters from the first day of training camp and never come out.

How many can you think of? Chandler Jones might have been the last one.

The statement was "Someone mentioned on another thread that no rookie ever comes in and looks good from day one, when referring to Harry, but Thuney actually did. He lined up with the starters from day one." I merely pointed out in a polite way that something there might have been lost in translation since plenty have. It has been particularly true on the O-line. I can think of a very long list of impactful 1st year players under Belichick. Go take a look at the 02 & 03 drafts, IIRC more of the players chosen in those 2 drafts had 1st year impacts than didn't.

The statement was "Someone mentioned on another thread that no rookie ever comes in and looks good from day one, when referring to Harry, but Thuney actually did. He lined up with the starters from day one." I merely pointed out in a polite way that something there might have been lost in translation since plenty have. It has been particularly true on the O-line. I can think of a very long list of impactful 1st year players under Belichick. Go take a look at the 02 & 03 drafts, IIRC more of the players chosen in those 2 drafts had 1st year impacts than didn't.

Yes there have been impactful 1st year players under BB, but not many I can recall that were inserted with the starters from the first day of camp and never left.

If you need to go back to 02-03, times were different, and that's kind of making my point anyway, which is there haven't been many.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back