PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Thomas sell off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Staley is also available. 49ers are hoping for a 1st rounder here....
Joe Staley is available, too

You may recall the 49ers drafted Staley with a pick obtained from the Patriots. Worked out well for the 49ers. On the other hand, the Patriots used the 49ers bounty to get Randy Moss and Jerod Mayo. So worked out well on our end too.

Pass. He is 31 and his salary is getting too big over the next few years and it is unclear if he will take a pay cut. Tackle is not anywhere near this team's biggest concern.

Trade for Haden, think I've seen enough of Ryan. Although not sure how Haden has looked so far this season, he did get burned by Hogan few weeks ago.

The other thing to remember with Thomas is he's signed through 2018, whereas Cannon is a FA after this year. Surprisingly we don't need to replace Cannon now but it's somewhat of an issue starting next year.

Any doubt that "Salary Cap 3-Card Monte Scam Artist" Elway will be in on Thomas? Would love to see the Pats at least make the price for the Donkeys more painful. Giving up the next potential Ras-I Dowling or Ron Brace (RIP) is acceptable to me (realizing it could be the next Gronk just as well)

Any doubt that "Salary Cap 3-Card Monte Scam Artist" Elway will be in on Thomas? Would love to see the Pats at least make the price for the Donkeys more painful. Giving up the next potential Ras-I Dowling or Ron Brace (RIP) is acceptable to me (realizing it could be the next Gronk just as well)

Well, they were in on him last year - they had a trade fall through at the deadline if you recall. I don't know how their tackle play has been this year though, so not sure if it's still a need.

Pass. He is 31 and his salary is getting too big over the next few years and it is unclear if he will take a pay cut. Tackle is not anywhere near this team's biggest concern.

Can decline his roster bonus after this season and there would be no cap hit at all.

Can decline his roster bonus after this season and there would be no cap hit at all.

Agreed. Problem is that you'd then be trading a 2nd round pick for an 8 game + playoffs rental (assuming trade happens during bye week). Is he worth the resources for this year, given that he doesn't know the Pats system, and that Cannon and Fleming have done a respectable job so far with Scar back?

He could be a huge help for a championship run.
Remember what an impact Waters made for that 1 season?

But he was free. Pats had him for 19 games and didn't cost anything other than cap space. So a little bit of a different situation. If they think Thomas is a potential long-term (i.e. 2017 and 2018) solution and are able to get him to fit into the cap structure that they want, then great. But that's a bit of an unknown at this point.

I could definitely see Minnesota running after one of these guys. Of course not for a 1st since they already shipped that away...

I could definitely see Minnesota running after one of these guys. Of course not for a 1st since they already shipped that away...
They have the least cap space in the NFL right now. Overthecap says $426k.

We were discussing this last night, in another thread. With Vollmer being in his final year, and Solder being young enough that giving him an extension would be a reasonable option to lower his cap hit, it would make sense to bring Thomas in. Whether it's worth a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever, is really a function of how long BB thinks Thomas is likely to have as a quality OT.

OL has seemed great, but it needs help

yesterday for example, Gronk and Bennet were held in to help Oline rather than go downfield and that is b/c the Oline is weak...now it may be the interior rather than the edges, so tackles aren't waht we need, but some part of Oline if upgraded would really give our O a whole new dimension

Then absolutely positively pass. I am not giving up a second round pick for a rent a player for half a season at a position where the Pats are currently ok at.

But then he'd be a free agent, right? So a 2nd round pick for a 9 game (maybe 12) rental? That's too much.
Yea. A 2nd rounder plus his salary seems high to me.

Quality player and locker room guy. He'd fit in well here.

yes please!! sign this guy up but he's probably off to denver!

joe thomas > ras i/jordan richards/tavon wilson.

but that 2nd rounder could land us gronk/jamie collins!

Would have to disagree with you here.

You would be wrong then. Both Solder and Cannon have been playing well in recent weeks.

This team needs pass rushers and secondary help far more than tackle help. I would argue the Pats need RG help more than tackle help.
'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back