PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy's Value

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not about him playing for ever it is about a guy being unable to make it through 2 full games without ending up at Mass General inspiring enough confidence in people that they are sacrificing a year of a still good Tom Brady.

This thread is an example of why car dealers encourage test drives. People love new things and get overly excited and buy on emotion.
So if Brady had had his ACL taken out in his second game, you would have thrown him under the bus. Ok, good to know.

My mistake thought they were free agents at same time.

That scenario would likely make things easier in terms of trying to keep both, but unfortunately Brady's cap hit jumps to 22m for 2018 and 2019.

As you know, after the 2017 season Garoppolo is a free agent, will likely command a decent payday (at least something comparable to what we saw Osweiler get), and will obviously wish to start rather than continue to be a backup clipboard holder. I think it would be quite an obstacle attempting to keep both, if not impossible. Belichick will almost certainly have to choose which one to keep, and even if he trades Brady (those words are hard to type) we still have to absorb a 14m dollar dead cap hit in doing so.

Since I'm not that strong on all the cap stuff, maybe someone can enlighten me. What happens if Brady retires after the 2017 season? Are the patriots still stuck with the cap hits for 2018 and 2019?

Since I'm not that strong on all the cap stuff, maybe someone can enlighten me. What happens if Brady retires after the 2017 season? Are the patriots still stuck with the cap hits for 2018 and 2019?

I don't think a retired player will count against the cap.

How does the release or retirement of a player affect the Salary Cap?

When a player is released (or retires), the team is relieved of having the pay the player’s base salary (P5) and any Roster Bonus that may become due after that, but still will need to account for any Signing or Option Bonus prorations that haven’t yet counted against the Salary Cap.

Using the contract example above, if the player was released in year 4 of the deal, the team would not have to pay that Roster Bonus or the player’s base salary (P5) of $7M (or any base salaries thereafter). However, the year 4 Bonus pro-rations ($2M + $1M) would still count and the year 5 Bonus prorations ($2M + $1M) would accelerate and immediately count against the Cap in year 4. So, the team would still have to account for $6M of the player’s remaining Bonus prorations. Since he was expected to count $10M against the Cap had he been on the team (his Cap number), the team would realize a Cap savings of $4M due to his release and have to carry $6M in “dead money” against the Salary Cap in year 4.

Since the prorations from year 5 accelerated against the Cap, there will be no future Cap implications from the release.

The retirement of a player is treated the same as the release of a player.

Thanks patsbrasilpatriotas

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I find it a bit strange that BB gave Tom an extension beyond 2017 without an opportunity to get out of it. Tom is the goat, but even when it comes to the goat it is impossible to predict how someone would perform at age 41. Looking at Tom last year, there's no sign of slowing down, but we all know that anybody could decline very fast and suddenly at that age.

Did I read that correctly?

They think a #1 or a #2 and #3 will get it done?

Both of those offers combined are insufficient.

Their #1 would most certainly be sufficient. I rather have 1 top say 6-10 pick than two picks in the 20s

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I find it a bit strange that BB gave Tom an extension beyond 2017 without an opportunity to get out of it. Tom is the goat, but even when it comes to the goat it is impossible to predict how someone would perform at age 41. Looking at Tom last year, there's no sign of slowing down, but we all know that anybody could decline very fast and suddenly at that age.

just to nit pick, the team has the right to get the pro rated portion of the bonus back. Player retires a year early and returns that years portion of the bonus back, the team gets the credit

Why is it strange? Brady signed for less than market value he gives something up the team gives something up.

Sure, I get that. And it might be a really good deal, I just think it's a bit risky not giving yourself an out considering Toms age.

Teams that may be interested in a QB with potential to be a franchise QB:

New England
Chicago
Cleveland
Kansas City
Detroit
Arizona
LA Rams
San Francisco
Vikings? (The key number here is 2018)
Did Brees sign an extension?

I'm not counting the Jest and Dolphins, BB wouldn't trade Jimmy to them.

Too bad Jimmy won't play 4 full games, that sample would be enough to make a decision. 4 good defenses, 2 of them he already passed the test.

Last edited:
Jimmy's value is almost limitless.

Here are teams desperate for a QB that should give up anything and everything to get him
Browns - basically at ground zero with a millions picks
Bills - Taylor stinks
49ers - Gabbert is not the answer
Bears - Cutler is on his way out

Teams that will need to seriously think about it
Redskins - if they don't believe in Cousins
Broncos - Semien won't carry them to the promised land
Miami - Tannenhill is average at best
Jets - Fitz is not the long term solution
Chargers - Rivers is getting older and the team is rebuilding
Giants - Eli is getting up there in age
Patriots - if Brady decides that next year will be his last

I'm not counting the Jest and Dolphins, BB wouldn't trade Jimmy to them.

If he does then he doesn't believe in Jimmy or he's going to retire soon and wants to screw over Kraft

I think it will come down to Browns, 49ers, and Bears. I think the Bears will have the best record out of the 3 and the Browns and 49ers will draft the top 2 qbs. Bears would be the choice for Jimmy G with the ability to cut Cutler this year with minimal consequences and also bringing JIMMY home and having him surrounded with weapons. Jeffery, White, and Howard is a good young core on offense. The yes gives up 2017 1st ( pick 4-7) and a future 2nd and 3rd.

Jimmy's value is almost limitless.

Here are teams desperate for a QB that should give up anything and everything to get him
Browns - basically at ground zero with a millions picks
Bills - Taylor stinks
49ers - Gabbert is not the answer
Bears - Cutler is on his way out

Teams that will need to seriously think about it
Redskins - if they don't believe in Cousins
Broncos - Semien won't carry them to the promised land
Miami - Tannenhill is average at best
Jets - Fitz is not the long term solution
Chargers - Rivers is getting older and the team is rebuilding
Giants - Eli is getting up there in age
Patriots - if Brady decides that next year will be his last

you're missing:
Cowboys - Prescott will not be the answer
Saints - Brees is getting old
Cardinals - Palmer is fragile
Chiefs - Alex Smith gets tiring

you're missing:
Cowboys - Prescott will not be the answer
Saints - Brees is getting old
Cardinals - Palmer is fragile
Chiefs - Alex Smith gets tiring

good point

I think it will come down to Browns, 49ers, and Bears. I think the Bears will have the best record out of the 3 and the Browns and 49ers will draft the top 2 qbs. Bears would be the choice for Jimmy G with the ability to cut Cutler this year with minimal consequences and also bringing JIMMY home and having him surrounded with weapons. Jeffery, White, and Howard is a good young core on offense. The yes gives up 2017 1st ( pick 4-7) and a future 2nd and 3rd.

For Jimmy the Bears would be the best fit. 49ers lack talent, browns are a mess and Chicago is a better city than Cle and SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News