PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy's Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPsPats

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Jimmy's Value

What does everyone think Jimmy's value will be if he has 3 more clean games like the one against the cards.

I'm curious because I remember a lot of us were hoping to get a first round pick for Mallet (lol), but the truth is Mallet never showed anything close to being a quality NFL starter.

You see what teams give up to move in the draft (goff/Wentz/rg3) when those players are all based on potential. I'm not saying Jimmy could haul all those picks but he has been coached by the GOAT coach and practiced with the GOAT qb, and just beat a NFC Super Bowl contender on the road.

If he plays like this through four then a first and third from teams drafting after 15 or a first and fourth from a team drafting top fifteen.

There is zero chance Garoppolo with a sample size of 4 games nets a 1st round pick.

If he plays at an elite level for a full slate of 16+ games and you find a ridiculous GM then maybe. But I don't think any of us want to see that scenario come into fruition.

There is zero chance Garoppolo with a sample size of 4 games nets a 1st round pick.

If he plays at an elite level for a full slate of 16+ games and you find a ridiculous GM then maybe. But I don't think any of us want to see that scenario come into fruition.

Bradford never played at en elite level and netted more than a 1st.

Everything is of course dependent on what happens in the future but in addition to the price tag the Vikings gave up for Bradford, so too did both the Rams n Eagles for Goff n Wentz. Granted, Wentz had a promising 1st game but we'll c.

I think if you find a team desperate enough a 1st round pick isn't a stretch. Teams give up multiple 1sts and more to move up and draft a qb with no NFL starts. Hue Jackson of the Browns might offer something crazy.

I think if you find a team desperate enough a 1st round pick isn't a stretch. Teams give up multiple 1sts and more to move up and draft a qb with no NFL starts. Hue Jackson of the Browns might offer something crazy.

That is very true about drafted QBs, which Garoppolo is not.

I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong and there really is a team is moronic enough to do that but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:

Did you see the contract that Osweiller got ? I know it didn't come with a draft pick but who cares. If you need a QB, there's almost no price too high. Look at college QB with zero NFL games. Z-E-R-O.

JG will have to play well but to say there's zero chance is simply foolish.

That is true. But it was a lot more than 4 games too.

More games to show he sucks... so even more reason to believe anything can happen when stupid GMs still have jobs. I have no idea what JG would fetch. But Cassel brought us Chung, Bledsoe brought us Warren. JG might bring us something just as nice on D !

His value is a function of his perceived ability and another teams need for a QB.

Assuming Jimmy stays on an upward trajectory and another QB from a contending team goes down in the next week or two one could use the Bradford deal as a comp for him.

If he is shopped in the off season potential suitors would have many other options so it's doubtful he'd fetch as much.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that, if Jimmy G. had four games similar to this one, teams would be absolutely stupid not to consider trading away a first round pick and then some. You.just.need.a.great.quarterback.in.this.league. So, if you whiff, big deal. It's not like your first round lineman was a sure thing or would make a difference in wins and losses. Likewise, I thought the Texans made a smart move with Osweiler. He may wind up flaming out, but I would pay for a more unknown commodity with a high ceiling at the QB position than a Sam Bradford guy who you know will disappoint you. You need to take risks to land a franchise QB.

It just takes 1 team to overpay. Teams in need of franchise QB

Jets
Bills
Browns
Saints
Redskins
49ers
Bears

Saints would make sense cos Brees' contract is up after next year and Payton and BB could do a deal to keep him away from the AFC. I could see Jimmy running chip Kelly's offense too.

Fill in the blank: If Sam Bradford is worth a 1 and a 4, Jimmy Garoppolo (pending 3 more credible starts) is worth ______.

I'm going to go ahead and say a first. I never would have said that as recently as a couple weeks ago, but the Bradford trade was eye-opening to say the least. He kind of sucks and has no real upside left to speak of, so Garoppolo--again, pending 3 more credible starts--has to be worth at least somewhere in that vicinity. Subtract some for lack of that degree of desperation, add some back for the actual presence of real upside, and I guess that lands you at a 1st.

Osweiler is another data point in Jimmy's favor. If he's worth 4/$72M with $37M guaranteed, based on a few games of decent-but-not-great fill in performance, then Garoppolo has to be worth more than I previously would've guessed.

Well, with only a college resume and no years in the NFL he was worth a second round pick.

With three years studying under the GOAT with the best team ever, under the best coach + (if/when) he does a great four game audition, he would be worth more than a second round pick I would think. And what's better than a second round pick?

It just takes 1 team to overpay. Teams in need of franchise QB

Jets
Bills
Browns
Saints
Redskins
49ers
Bears

Saints would make sense cos Brees' contract is up after next year and Payton and BB could do a deal to keep him away from the AFC. I could see Jimmy running chip Kelly's offense too.

The Browns also have the benefit of having a bunch of draft picks after trading #2 to the Eagles. They could make a very compelling offer for Garoppolo and still have plenty of other picks to improve the rest of the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes