PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Johnson:Jets will turn up heat against Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference between winning and losing is small. What if the Jets scored a TD on that first drive in the second half, how would things have gone?

BB has to get this across to this team that the last game is meaningless. That have to give their 100% for a full 60 minutes if they want to win and if they don't, their football season is over.

I find it hard to believe that margin was small in the last match-up, however, I will concede that had the Jets scored on that first second-half drive, the dynamics would have been altered. But enough to change the outcome? I doubt it.

I agree, and doubtless Belichick has already pounded this message into the team's psyche last week while they were going through the self-evaluation phase of preparation.

While I believe we will win, I'm uneasy, and may not eat much this week. This from a total homer who predicted 14-2 and a Super Bowl victory *before* week 1.

I can relate. I feel the same way. The stress I feel before a Jet/Pat is unmatched. That is why I wanted to see the Ravens.

To effectively blitz Brady, you need to pressure him up the middle. The Jets have a horrible pass rush even with blitzing especially up the middle. If they want to send extra guys up the middle, it will create a lot of spaces over the middle of the field. If they blitz Brady a lot, they will get killed.

Maybe if the Jets could rush the passer or blitz effectively, Johnson's strategy might be the right way to go. But the Jets have had problems getting to the QB with the blitz this year and if you blitz and don't get to Brady you will pay for it.

Last edited:
The Jets were daring the Colts to run. The Colts run game was not very good and the Jets run defense is very, very good. I do wonder if the same strategy would work - 'cept the Pats have two viable TE's...the Colts do not.

The playcalling has to be aggresive.Gotta attack Cromartie.

"But if they get into a tight ballgame, you can never tell what may happen. Some doubt could enter into the minds of some of their younger players who really haven’t been there before."

Right... we haven't played any close games like Baltimore, Minnesota, San Diego, Indy, Green Bay, or the first Buffalo game. These young players won't know what to do! Certainly not for the seventh time at least, six must be their limit on close games...

Besides the "blueprint" being pressure with the front four and an occasional blitz up the middle, another approach teams have taken is the one where everyone is standing up on the LoS. Mangini used it in the CLE game and also implemented it in 2006 in Foxboro when he was HC NYJ. It was effective.

The goal of the defense was to confuse Brady with blitz/no blitz and flood the middle of the field at the last possible moment.

I thought the blueprint for beating the Patriots was the ability to get pressure with your front four.

It seems to me that if they need to blitz to bring pressure, that would work to our advantage.

On the road, Brady is vulnerable to the blitz (like in Jets loss earlier this year) but he'll be able to audible clearly at home.
Hopefully, we can keep their D on the field and wear them out as the game goes on. On the flip side, if they get that running game going, it could spell a long day for our beat up front line.

If he means turn up the heat as far as being more competitive, then of course. Duh.

But if he means more blitzing, I doubt it. All you keep hearing is about how that is the key to stopping the Pats and it never happens.

While I believe we will win, I'm uneasy, and may not eat much this week. This from a total homer who predicted 14-2 and a Super Bowl victory *before* week 1.

At times like this...eating more helps me.

See, Jimmy, not that any of us Pats fans want to give out the blueprint to win against the Pats, I think the Jets game plan against the Colts, or the ideas behind it, could beat the Pats, if the Pats were the same as the Colts. It's dumb to blitz Brady and leave guys open, just like it's dumb to do that to Manning. Rex took his personal vendetta against Peytie and turned it into a good game plan. He knew Manning expected blitzes, so he didn't give him any. Instead he just covered all of his receivers, especially his favorite, Reggie Wayne, and Manning panicked and couldn't find anyone open time and again. Then Rexie held the run game in check with his front 4. Finally, maybe most important of all, Rex got his running game going in the 2nd half and was able to keep Manning off the field, out of rhythm and out of time. It also prevented repeat mistakes by his own QB

If they are able to do that to the Pats, then they might have a chance. The problem is our running game is better than Mannings, and both of our backs and all of our (3) TEs are good targets that Brady is not afraid to throw to. And our two best receivers, although they are not fast, they are quick and good at finding soft spots in the coverage.

Where Manning and Caldwell didn't do anything with Wayne to shake off or shake up Revis, you can bet that BB, Brady and BOB won't have the same qualms. Or, if Revis does a great job and blankets Welker or Branch all day, neither of them will get frustrated if Tommy throws to them just once and threaten to quit the team. That's because if Welker or Branch has been taken out of the game by Revis, then Revis has been taken out of the game by Welker or Branch, and there are plently of other targets for Tommy. And, presumably the other will be getting lots of looks, because I don't know if you've seem Cromartie, but the term "shut down" that everyone says about him seems (on film) to be a misnomer.

Then there's the Jets running game and Lady Tomlinson (you know, the gal/guy who doesn't get the irony about how it's okay for him or his team (and now his coach gets in on it too) to talk trash before a game about the Pats, but then always cries foul when the Pats say things to him or flap their arms after they've thrown him to the turf yet again?). Newsflash - he can't run in cold weather, and the Jets QB also has some issues there.

Thanks for stopping by, Jimmy.

I agree 100% with JJ

In the summer the Jets F.O. went for it all in FA and made it a one year super bowl or Bust season,they spent tons of money and now that they are in the playoffs they are not just going to bend over to the Pats and take it up the ass...they will come hard and come strong and will make the Pats work for this win

45-3 means crap this time around...there is no tomorrow If you lose and this game will be an undetermined unresolved fight until the final minutes or less.

Expect a very tight game and could go either way with the team making the fewest mistakes winning.

Last edited:
The season would be a huge dissapointment if they lose to the jest!!It would also be a huge upset in my mind.I just dont think the jets are all that good.

They can't handle our offense in a standard D. The only chance they have is to consistently send 6 and have 5 in man coverage, and hope they get to Brady before he finds someone open.

The problem is the 5 players in man coverage. Revis is fine...it is the other 4 that are the problem:

- Cromartie can run but hates contact and struggles with quick cuts
- The other corners (Lowery, Coleman) are limited in their coverage ability and Wilson doesn't play much
- The safeties are liabilities in coverage and look to be specifically targeted by Brady
- The linebackers can tackle after the catch but don't cover well

The Jets were able to mitigate the damage done by White, Tamme and Rhodes by limiting YAC. Those guys become Welker, Hernandez and Woodhead this week. The stats throwing to just them in the last meeting? 14-16, 235 yards and 2 TDs...also known as a perfect passer rating. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with JJ

In the summer the Jets F.O. went for it all in FA and made it a one year super bowl or Bust season,they spent tons of money and now that they are in the playoffs they are not just going to bend over to the Pats and take it up the ass...they will come hard and come strong and will make the Pats work for this win

45-3 means crap this time around...there is no tomorrow If you lose and this game will be an undetermined unresolved fight until the final minutes or less.

Expect a very tight game and could go either way with the team making the fewest mistakes winning.

Of course, the Jets will play hard. Doubtless they played hard back in December. The Patriots just flat out beat them by being better prepared, playing much more efficiently, and holding the edge time and again in "situational football" during the game. However, just because it is the playoffs and both teams are thrust into a win-or-go-home scenario does not render 45-3 completely obsolete.

The problem is the 5 players in man coverage. Revis is fine...it is the other 4 that are the problem:

- Cromartie can run but hates contact and struggles with quick cuts
- The other corners (Lowery, Coleman) are limited in their coverage ability and Wilson doesn't play much
- The safeties are liabilities in coverage and look to be specifically targeted by Brady
- The linebackers can tackle after the catch but don't cover well

The Jets were able to mitigate the damage done by White, Tamme and Rhodes by limiting YAC. Those guys become Welker, Hernandez and Woodhead this week. The stats throwing to just them in the last meeting? 14-16, 235 yards and 2 TDs...also known as a perfect passer rating. Good luck with that.

Interesting. In both meetings, Gronkowski was pretty quiet with only a catch in each game. I wonder if that will change in this 3rd meeting as I agree- it's match-up nightmares all over the place for the NYJ.

I think Jimmy is right that this is going to be a different game and it will be closer. I think that he is throwing a "No brainer" out there when he says that the Jets CAN win this game,......because as we saw on Sat with Seattle....ANY team can win on any given sunday...... However, the only way I see them beating us....is by using the blueprint that the Giants used in 2007......blitz the sh#t out of Brady......take away the run....and somehow get coverage on ALL of our receivers.....but it all starts with the rush/blitz on Brady....if they can get that.....they have a chance to win. Secondly, if they can run on us.....and TAKE PRESSURE off Shaky Sancheese......and give him a chance to throw short routes early and get some confidence...they could get some scores against us....and keep it close....AND if they get us to commit turnovers...that could be a turning point as well

It would take a perfect game plan/play by the jests on both sides of the ball to beat us...that is my opinion.....can it happen,...yes..but not likely

I think Jimmy is right that this is going to be a different game and it will be closer. I think that he is throwing a "No brainer" out there when he says that the Jets CAN win this game,......because as we saw on Sat with Seattle....ANY team can win on any given sunday...... However, the only way I see them beating us....is by using the blueprint that the Giants used in 2007......blitz the sh#t out of Brady......take away the run....and somehow get coverage on ALL of our receivers.....but it all starts with the rush/blitz on Brady....if they can get that.....they have a chance to win. Secondly, if they can run on us.....and TAKE PRESSURE off Shaky Sancheese......and give him a chance to throw short routes early and get some confidence...they could get some scores against us....and keep it close....AND if they get us to commit turnovers...that could be a turning point as well

It would take a perfect game plan/play by the jests on both sides of the ball to beat us...that is my opinion.....can it happen,...yes..but not likely

Actually, the Giants were able to pressure Brady without having to blitz. If they had blitzed we would have won that game.

Read this (if you dare)...warning: side effects may include depression, thoughts of suicide and increased risk of substance abuse:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/77375-offensive-pass-protection-breakdown-excellent-read.html?highlight=breakdown

Last edited:
I am waiting for Tate to have a big game and be the x factor.He most likely will have Kyle Wilson on him.I want him to make some plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft