PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garopollo starts, plays brilliantly, then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They watched Brady all week in practice too in 2000 and 2001. Granted, by his own admission, he wasn't the same player in 2000 that he was in 2001, but my point remains.

But by all accounts Belichick was already thinking about Brady taking over before Mo Lewis' hit, based on his performance in the offseason.

To suggest that the Pats could catch lightning in a bottle is, indeed, wishful thinking, but engaging in wishful thinking is what fans do. I hope they catch lightning in a bottle with Garoppolo as they did with Brady, and there are definite similarities as I showed. That said it wouldn't be reasonable to expect Garoppolo to be the next Brady, but not delusional to hope for it either.

As for Garoppolo not being signed when Brady's contract expires, that is an inexact scenario that comes with the territory of having a great, but aging, QB. At his age Brady will become more and more susceptible to injury, some injuries unexpected or of an unknown cause, as any of our older posters can confirm. When you get older it is easier to get injured and it takes longer to recover.

This could all become a moot point if Brady physically deteriorates rapidly, or BB decides to move on a year early rather than a year too late. Ask Logan Mankins how setimental BB is.

As manxman2601 already pointed out BB values a backup QB highly; it leaves him with a possible successor if he suddenly loses Brady, and a rookie also saves cap room over a good veteran backup. Those guys don't sign cheap.
He doesn't value a backup QB higher than a top 15 draft pick. Honestly, if you would not trade Garoppollo for a first round draft pick you are not thinking clearly. He is not signed post Brady.

He doesn't value a backup QB higher than a top 15 draft pick. Honestly, if you would not trade Garoppollo for a first round draft pick you are not thinking clearly. He is not signed post Brady.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Jimmy G brings NFL caliber talent. You can see it with his pocket presence. Just can't teach that.
This playoff season will have a definite impact on the future of Jimmy G here in Foxborough.
Brady has no more excuses. He has the weapons and he has the defense. It's on HIM to get this team a championship. If Brady continues to play subpar in the playoffs that will hasten his departure from Foxborough.

So what did you guys think? Only 3 pts to show for it with really only one good wide out and no time to throw but I liked what I saw for the most part. He moves much much better in the pocket than Mallett.

So what did you guys think? Only 3 pts to show for it with really only one good wide out and no time to throw but I liked what I saw for the most part. He moves much much better in the pocket than Mallett.

I thought he looked really good. Slippery in the pocket. Made some plays with his legs. More athletic than I thought. Didn't have much to work with on offense and was going against the best pass rush in the NFL so I can't fault him for only putting up 3 points. Brady didn't do much better. Only real complaint was that he held onto the ball for too long but he'll learn to get rid of it...I'll attribute that to first game jitters. Did nothing to sway the notion he's the QB of the future.

Next Russell Wilson of the East Coast?

I thought he looked really good. Slippery in the pocket. Made some plays with his legs. More athletic than I thought. Didn't have much to work with on offense and was going against the best pass rush in the NFL so I can't fault him for only putting up 3 points. Brady didn't do much better. Only real complaint was that he held onto the ball for too long but he'll learn to get rid of it...I'll attribute that to first game jitters. Did nothing to sway the notion he's the QB of the future.
He was okay, had some fun plays especially in person but he did not play great

Yeah, somehow the headline at the top left of the newsfeed that said he played "so-so" has been quickly forgotten and replaced by tales of his excellence.

I think that we saw something okay for our backup QB position, and hopefully he'll continue to progress. I don't think Tom Brady should be too worried about losing his job any time soon, though.

He moves much much better in the pocket than Mallett.

Drew Bledsoe moved in the pocket much better than Mallett :)

Yeah, somehow the headline at the top left of the newsfeed that said he played "so-so" has been quickly forgotten and replaced by tales of his excellence.

I think that we saw something okay for our backup QB position, and hopefully he'll continue to progress. I don't think Tom Brady should be too worried about losing his job any time soon, though.
I did really enjoy seeing him run the option, but he looked very much like a kid getting into his first extended nfl play

Jimmy G brings NFL caliber talent. You can see it with his pocket presence. Just can't teach that.
This playoff season will have a definite impact on the future of Jimmy G here in Foxborough.
Brady has no more excuses. He has the weapons and he has the defense. It's on HIM to get this team a championship. If Brady continues to play subpar in the playoffs that will hasten his departure from Foxborough.

Ha!

Eh...what do you expect?

Down 2 starters on the O-line, no Edelman, no Gronk, first "real" game action, had little time to throw...

I would assume with a full starting offense and more than a second or 2 to throw the ball he would improve.

Eh...what do you expect?

Down 2 starters on the O-line, no Edelman, no Gronk, first "real" game action, had little time to throw...

I would assume with a full starting offense and more than a second or 2 to throw the ball he would improve.
yeah but who wouldnt. His decision making wasnt great which is pretty much what I expected from a rookie

yeah but who wouldnt. His decision making wasnt great which is pretty much what I expected from a rookie

I agree with you that Garoppolo looked like a rookie, but it was as encouraging as similar outings by Brian Hoyer or Matt Cassell playing with the backups. Garoppolo with the starting offensive line and receivers would be fine. It's nice to have a competent backup heading into the off-season so that QB isn't a major priority.

The draft can focus where it needs to be focused in 2015, OL, DL, and LB.

Next Russell Wilson of the East Coast?
Wilson is a lot faster and dynamic running the football, he ran a 4.5 forty yard dash, compared to Garoppollo who ran a 4.94. forty.

Stephen Hawking moves better in the pocket than Ryan Mallett.
Ryan Mallett played very well in his first start with the Texans. He also has solid pocket awareness; he does not run into sacks or turn a would 5 yard sack into a 14 yard sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes