PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Garopollo starts, plays brilliantly, then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordon doesn't bother to turn up to practices and Gilbert got called out publicly by one of his own players for laziness. I think Manziel is the best adjusted of the three.
Supposedly, Johnny F was missing in action WITH Gordon. They were both missing and couldn't be located.

First I would not want Manziel or Smith so you have me confused with someone else. Second there was a 12 pick difference between where we took Garoppollo in this past draft and where we took Mallett in 2011 so the draft capital perception is not really indicative of much.

I like Garopollo but if you can turn the #62 pick into a top 15 pick in one year you make that trade. After all why couldn't we draft another Garopollo this year or next?
Harzarding a guess, not all QB classes are equal. They seemed to regard JG as a guy they wanted, consider how quickly they turned in that card on draft day. There's no saying that next, or any other particular year will have someone they like. I suspect they have pretty stringent criteria. :)

Supposedly, Johnny F was missing in action WITH Gordon. They were both missing and couldn't be located.

JFF didn't need to be at practice because he's on IR. Or at least that's how I read Twitter.

First I would not want Manziel or Smith so you have me confused with someone else. Second there was a 12 pick difference between where we took Garoppollo in this past draft and where we took Mallett in 2011 so the draft capital perception is not really indicative of much.

I like Garopollo but if you can turn the #62 pick into a top 15 pick in one year you make that trade. After all why couldn't we draft another Garopollo this year or next?

The reason I hope we wouldn't trade Garoppolo is that drafting a franchise QB is much easier said than done. It's the same idea of it being a good idea to take your big winnings at the craps table and resist the urge to keep gambling it.

Certainly turning #62 one year into #15 in the next is a great return, but then what will it take to find your franchise QB?

The Redskins recently spent three #1 picks and a #2 in that attempt and apparently rolled craps.

And they STILL need a franchise QB.

Harzarding a guess, not all QB classes are equal. They seemed to regard JG as a guy they wanted, consider how quickly they turned in that card on draft day. There's no saying that next, or any other particular year will have someone they like. I suspect they have pretty stringent criteria. :)
I'm sure they do too but they were quick to draft Mallett at #74 as well. Belichick has always viewed the draft as an investment. I don't think his thinking with Garoppollo was this is the player who will take over in 2018. I think he thought he is a player with good value that could start in 2018 if the stars align, but he could also be flipped for an early pick in a future season, provide a cheap backup QB for a few years and be traded for a late pick like Mallett, etc. I do not think there is one set direction for Garoppollo I think he was drafted because he was the best player on the board at the time, which he was and we could go a number of different directions to get a ROI. Most had Garoppollo as at top 35 prospect so taking him at #62 was a great move.

The reason I hope we wouldn't trade Garoppolo is that drafting a franchise QB is much easier said than done. It's the same idea of it being a good idea to take your big winnings at the craps table and resist the urge to keep gambling it.

Certainly turning #62 one year into #15 in the next is a great return, but then what will it take to find your franchise QB?

The Redskins recently spent three #1 picks and a #2 in that attempt and apparently rolled craps.

And they STILL need a franchise QB.
I think that if Garopoollo was a sure fire franchise QB as so many on here tend to believe he would have been drafted much earlier. Bill O'Brien who is a very good offensive coach with a Belichick pedigree, could have selected him at #33 and he took an OG instead. I think Garoppollo has show tremendous promise but I don't view him as a franchise QB right now anymore than I would some of the QBs in this upcoming draft class. The sample size is very small and all of his play including college, preseason, and blow out regular season games have come against low competition. I'm very excited to see him play Sunday, this is probably the most excited I have ever been for a meaningless football game in my life.

I think that if Garopoollo was a sure fire franchise QB as so many on here tend to believe he would have been drafted much earlier. Bill O'Brien who is a very good offensive coach with a Belichick pedigree, could have selected him at #33 and he took an OG instead. I think Garoppollo has show tremendous promise but I don't view him as a franchise QB right now anymore than I would some of the QBs in this upcoming draft class. The sample size is very small and all of his play including college, preseason, and blow out regular season games have come against low competition. I'm very excited to see him play Sunday, this is probably the most excited I have ever been for a meaningless football game in my life.

And if teams knew TFB was going to become the GOAT he wouldn't have lasted until pick #199. Players slide for various reasons and the draft is a crap shoot. Like any player there are reasons to downgrade Garoppolo; small hands (although I downgraded Torrey Smith for that reason and was proven wrong), level of competition, etc. (Also regarding small hands, I remember one of Brady's biggest flaws after he took over for Bledsoe was that it seemed too easy to separate him from the ball, and he had something like 17-18 fumbles that season, although he recovered the majority of them, and he improved on this weakness rapidly).

The talk of the respect he commands in the locker room is very reminiscent of how Brady was perceived early in his career, and I don't remember hearing this about anyone except Brady and Garoppolo. Long before anyone seriously thought he could replace Bledsoe the reports were that, outside of whatever physical talent he had, the Patriots loved the way he carried himself and took charge of the other rookies. I remember reading similar reports on Garoppolo.

Now if, as the original OP question suggested, he plays great on Sunday, I would hope we would resist any ideas of trading him short of an overwhelming offer.

Last edited:
Just like the 1999 Bills, you bench Brady and start Garrapolo in the playoffs.

I'm sure they do too but they were quick to draft Mallett at #74 as well.

If you remember, they picked Ridley at #73 so that's not strictly true. They had the time to decide whether to pick Mallett or entertain any trade offers that might have been there.

You spend a first round pick on another back-up and trade Garpollo for a conditional 6th round pick in 2017

And if teams knew TFB was going to become the GOAT he wouldn't have lasted until pick #199. Players slide for various reasons and the draft is a crap shoot. Like any player there are reasons to downgrade Garoppolo; small hands (although I downgraded Torrey Smith for that reason and was proven wrong), level of competition, etc. (Also regarding small hands, I remember one of Brady's biggest flaws after he took over for Bledsoe was that it seemed too easy to separate him from the ball, and he had something like 17-18 fumbles that season, although he recovered the majority of them, and he improved on this weakness rapidly).

The talk of the respect he commands in the locker room is very reminiscent of how Brady was perceived early in his career, and I don't remember hearing this about anyone except Brady and Garoppolo. Long before anyone seriously thought he could replace Bledsoe the reports were that, outside of whatever physical talent he had, the Patriots loved the way he carried himself and took charge of the other rookies. I remember reading similar reports on Garoppolo.

Now if, as the original OP question suggested, he plays great on Sunday, I would hope we would resist any ideas of trading him short of an overwhelming offer.
Brady is an anomaly, suggesting we would catch lightning in a bottle again is wishful thinking and that's putting it mildly.

As far as if he plays great well first I would point to Matt Flynn a few years ago as a cautionary tale. Second I would point out that you still have not considered or addressed what I pointed out in regards to Garoppollo not being under contract when we logistically need a replacement for Tom Brady. Are you giving Garoppollo a big contract or a franchise tag without him having any experience as a starting QB? My point is simple Garoppollo could be the next Aaron Rodgers but unlike Rodgers who was under contract when Favre's contract ended and retired Garoppollo is not under contract when Brady's contract ends and many believe Brady will retire, so you are turning down a top 15 pick for a backup QB who is a UFA the same year as Tom Brady is schedule to be an UFA.

Brady is an anomaly, suggesting we would catch lightning in a bottle again is wishful thinking and that's putting it mildly.

As far as if he plays great well first I would point to Matt Flynn a few years ago as a cautionary tale. Second I would point out that you still have not considered or addressed what I pointed out in regards to Garoppollo not being under contract when we logistically need a replacement for Tom Brady. Are you giving Garoppollo a big contract or a franchise tag without him having any experience as a starting QB? My point is simple Garoppollo could be the next Aaron Rodgers but unlike Rodgers who was under contract when Favre's contract ended and retired Garoppollo is not under contract when Brady's contract ends and many believe Brady will retire, so you are turning down a top 15 pick for a backup QB who is a UFA the same year as Tom Brady is schedule to be an UFA.

Who's your backup QB to an ageing Brady in this scenario? BB has put a 2nd/3rd round value on a backup QB they don't grow on trees.

I'm sure they consider trades all the time. That means nothing and is irrelevant to the idea that the Pats quickly picked Mallett.

OTOH the fact that the mediots were flat out saying, before the Pats were on the clock, that they were going to take Mallett suggests that they were quite willing to pass on Mallett.

To suggest that the Pats could catch lightning in a bottle is, indeed, wishful thinking, but engaging in wishful thinking is what fans do. I hope they catch lightning in a bottle with Garoppolo as they did with Brady, and there are definite similarities as I showed. That said it wouldn't be reasonable to expect Garoppolo to be the next Brady, but not delusional to hope for it either.

As for Garoppolo not being signed when Brady's contract expires, that is an inexact scenario that comes with the territory of having a great, but aging, QB. At his age Brady will become more and more susceptible to injury, some injuries unexpected or of an unknown cause, as any of our older posters can confirm. When you get older it is easier to get injured and it takes longer to recover.

This could all become a moot point if Brady physically deteriorates rapidly, or BB decides to move on a year early rather than a year too late. Ask Logan Mankins how setimental BB is.

As manxman2601 already pointed out BB values a backup QB highly; it leaves him with a possible successor if he suddenly loses Brady, and a rookie also saves cap room over a good veteran backup. Those guys don't sign cheap.

Brady will play another 5 years barring disastrous knee injury. Put resources into the OL.

BB is not sentimental, but you just don't move on from the GOAT QB easily, we will, in most of our lifetimes NEVER see a qb of Brady's quality on this football team. Keep this ride going as long as possible.

Brady will play another 5 years barring disastrous knee injury. Put resources into the OL.

BB is not sentimental, but you just don't move on from the GOAT QB easily, we will, in most of our lifetimes NEVER see a qb of Brady's quality on this football team. Keep this ride going as long as possible.

I agree. Call me a Brady homer but the Pats would have gotten obliterated in many a game if not for Brady. And I am talking about the 2007 and 2011 superbowls as well. He is not perfect but if you put him on the Broncos, I could see 19-0, easy.

If he starts getting impatient in the offseason (and you can't blame him sitting behind the timeless Brady) you trade him for a 1st this year to the teams desperate for a QB at the top of the draft but dont want to take a punt on a guy like Winston and you use that pick to take the future greatest WR drafted in Pats history - Amari Cooper.

Well, he had better numbers than Brady today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back