PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets coordinator: Brady gets a “little more anxious”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think pocket mechanics have been bad. I just don't think they've been as good as they used to be. Just my opinion, but you hit the nail on the of the game planning.

It's definitely more advanced now for Tom Brady, and he is much more adapted and smarter than he ever was at adjusting to what a defense is giving him.

He's definitely progressed in some parts of his game! I was definitely not suggesting that.

I don't think I ever saw Brady as accurate and precise with his decisions as I did last year. :)
I don't disagree with you that Brady's performances as the season has progressed have not been as crisp as we've been accustomed too. I also recognize that his 2010 was something of a ridiculous quality. It would be unfair on Brady to rate other years with 2010 being the benchmark for performance.

As mentioned, I'm of the belief that there's probably a niggling injury in his throwing arm, game planning and poor execution. The execution for me comes from the decision making. It hasn't gone unnoticed on me that when the Patriots go into the 2 minute or hurry up and simply calls plays with rapid fire adjustments, Brady is other worldly. When the Patriots take their time with the offense, and play the predictable run the clock down to the 1, something has been going a miss.

Food for thought at least.

I don't disagree with you that Brady's performances as the season has progressed have not been as crisp as we've been accustomed too. I also recognize that his 2010 was something of a ridiculous quality. It would be unfair on Brady to rate other years with 2010 being the benchmark for performance.

As mentioned, I'm of the belief that there's probably a niggling injury in his throwing arm, game planning and poor execution. The execution for me comes from the decision making. It hasn't gone unnoticed on me that when the Patriots go into the 2 minute or hurry up and simply calls plays with rapid fire adjustments, Brady is other worldly. When the Patriots take their time with the offense, and play the predictable run the clock down to the 1, something has been going a miss.

Food for thought at least.

Brady's sporadic inaccuracy hasn't been this bad since he first came back from his injury.

That was understandable, and he might have a nagging injury, because he was rifling bullets at the start of the year. And now it's just fallen off, so that might be true. Brady has always been a very accurate passer.

His horrendous decision making though is on him. He's had some Rex Grossman moments.

I guess he's been so great for a long time, it is easy to nitpick on him in the later stages of his career.

I still enjoy watching him play more than any player in the NFL. I hold him to very high standards, and feel we all should. If this were Jay Cutler, I'd be peeing in my pants from excitement from these results. But this is Tom Brady, one of the greatest ever. If not the greatest.

Last edited:
Brady's sporadic inaccuracy hasn't been this bad since he first came back from his injury.

That was understandable, and he might have a nagging injury, because he was rifling bullets at the start of the year. And now it's just fallen off, so that might be true. Brady has always been a very accurate passer.

His horrendous decision making though is on him. He's had some Rex Grossman moments.

I guess he's been so great for a long time, it is easy to nitpick on him in the later stages of his career.

I still enjoy watching him play more than any player in the NFL. I hold him to very high standards, and feel we all should. If this were Jay Cutler, I'd be peeing in my pants from excitement from these results. But this is Tom Brady, one of the greatest ever. If not the greatest.
Which in the end, is why Tom Brady's performance is graded unfairly compared to other Quarterbacks. We all know he's better than everyone else in the NFL (and by a long shot) bar Aaron Rodgers (who is having a ridiculous season).

In this thread I have a found a friend for the rest of my ignore list to hang out with.

This article is accurate. Brady is feeling pressure that sometimes isn't there because he's been getting hit so much in the last few games while waiting receivers not named Welker or Gronkowski to get open.

I think Brady's pocket mechanics in the last few years have gotten much worse.

I think Jaws said is best awhile back:"Tom Brady is the most mobile QB in the NFL." Meaning no QB is better than him at buying more time, and making subtle moves with his feet in the pocket to buy extra time.

I'm not seeing much of anything like that to resemble the Brady we're used to seeing in the pocket. He's still very good at, but not like the Tom Brady I remember.

Of course not all of it is on him. The line has been shaky at times, but I don't think they've been much worse that what they're capable of doing.

The pass blocking for the Pats has always been good, but not great as some might assume. Brady helps them out tremendously with what I mention before, along with his ability to call out where the pressure is coming from to his line, to make their job easier.

The year Brady went down, Cassel was getting sacked at an extremely higher rate despite being much more mobile.

When Brady isn't living up to what he's capable of doing, the holes just are that much noticeable.

The last few years, huh? I guess he was anxious when he combined 36 touchdowns with 4 interceptions last year. Maybe he should take some valium before games.

Brady had one of the best years ever by a QB last year and was ripping it up earlier this year.
So now that's the standard. Anything less than a 36/4 TD/INT ratio or 500 yards game and he's lost it.

Pleeeez. What do you think every coach in our conference studies all night? The NE passing game. Then they study what the Steelers defense did, etc.

Nobody said an NFL season was going to be easy. Brady hasn't been able to sneak up on anyone since 2001. They're going to have to mix up the game plan and counter whatever defenses are throwing at them, that's the price of being a top program for so long.

Imagine getting anxious that a bunch of 350 lb. people are trying to break your legs, how could that be?

This article is accurate. Brady is feeling pressure that sometimes isn't there because he's been getting hit so much in the last few games while waiting receivers not named Welker or Gronkowski to get open.

Despite what some erroneously contend, Brady has been moving around the pocket this season about as well as ever. What's not working is (1) the propensity for coverage sacks as he waits and waits for wideouts to get open, this also results in more tips by DLs (2) making poorer than Brady nominal decisions to force the ball into tight coverage where it's picked and (3) Tommy Boy is simply less accurate, maybe with an arm/elbow injury and maybe not. The inaccuracy is mostly on Tom with the notable exception of throws to Ocho where the two are frustratingly out of sync by that one critical step which means everything at an elite level.

Last edited:
Despite what some erroneously contend, Brady has been moving around the pocket this season about as well as ever. What's not working is (1) the propensity for coverage sacks as he waits and waits for wideouts to get open, this also results in more tips by DLs (2) making poorer than Brady nominal decisions to force the ball into tight coverage where it's picked and (3) Tommy Boy is simply less accurate, maybe with an arm/elbow injury and maybe not. The inaccuracy is mostly on Tom with the notable exception of throws to Ocho where the two are frustratingly out of sync by that one critical step which means everything at an elite level.

I think that's it in a nutshell. Maybe he is suffering from a lingering elbow injury but since he has not shown up on the injury report, I'll dismiss it.

What I do know is that in his last 4 games, hes thrown 5 picks, been sacked 12 times and the offense is averaging 21.75 ppg. Part of that is due to playing a team that know him and the offense cold (Jets) and three other defenses that are above average at bringing pressure or were playing well at the time that they played the Pats.

I concur with the last two posters with the exception of the prevailing sentiment that his accuracy is somehow off... Read what Hernandez had to say about his accuracy when he talked to Ian Rappaport this week. Fans see Tom missing throws by inches, when more often that not his receivers are missing their marks by inches.

And here moreso than with a lot of offenses, it is truly a game of inches. That is what has always leveled the playing field for a team that historically didn't invest in the Megatrons of the league... We didn't kill opponents by overwhelming them with sheer talent, with the exception of 2007 which in 2008-2010 underscored why we long eschewed that approach. We nickle and dimed you to death with deadly accuracy and balls to the wall effort and execution. When that kind of consistent focus isn't being achieved or consistently maintained, we struggle and Tommy pays the price and amazingly here moreso than anywhere shoulders the blame... I believe that is because it's easier to assume he will somehow fix it whereas the OC or the OL or the WR corps or the RB committee has never warranted that level of confidence.

Memo to Mike Pettine:

Brady was 24 0f 33 for 321 yards and a TD while putting up 30* against the jets in week 5. (The asterisk is because the 30 would have been 37 had Aaron Hernandez not played volleyball with what should have been another Brady TD pass.)

Perhaps Pettine should watch that film and then decide who should be "a little more anxious."

Hey, Ian. Do you think you could track down a doctor who is a member of this board to send Tom Brady a few sample pills of Zoloft to help with his anxiety?

This is ridiculous. Brady's all freaked out because there is no higher designation than being the #1 passing offense in football.

Pettine is a dope. What about the 71% completion rate and 300-plus yards the Jets gave up last time does he not get?

The last few years, huh? I guess he was anxious when he combined 36 touchdowns with 4 interceptions last year. Maybe he should take some valium before games.

I'm not disputing the year he had at all last year. I'm not suggesting he didn't play at a extremely high level.

Like I've already mention, numerous times. I agree! That was one of his best years. Like I've said already, I have never seen Brady so accurate and precise with his decisions than I did last year.

What I did say, is ever since he's came back from his injury, I've seen a slight difference in his pocket mechanics. I'm not at all suggesting his mechanics in the pocket are bad. Far from it! Your mechanics can't all of a sudden be horrendous for someone like Tom Brady, and still play at a high level. Again, I'm not saying that!

I think one, Brady has been a little slower with his footwork than in previous years. Maybe that's partly because of the knee injury, maybe that's just part of aging. Maybe it's just understanding that Brady will never be completely the same because of that injury. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's what I see.

Two, Brady tends to get happy feet more than he ever did and has lost some of his poise in the pocket, along with his recognition that I personally remember him for.

Look, to me, and I think most fans who understand football. Brady was by far and away the best pocket passer in the history of football. Whether he's the the best QB is debatable. But no one was as good in the pocket as he was. I don't think that's even up for debate.

He's still very good, but I don't think he's anywhere he once was. I don't know why so many people have to be so outrageous for me to suggest that. It's one thing to disagree, but it's another thing to suggest I'm acting as if he's damaged goods.

Last edited:
It's a War of words with Jets fans

The Gang Green Show is a show by the Jets fans for the Jets fans, but also for the rest of the 31 NFL teams. We all know the intense rivalry between the Jets and The Patriots.

Well this Sunday before kickoff, starting from 7pm until 8pm EST, The Gang Green Show will be on LIVE, Jason Halliburton & Naim Williams El return return back and better than ever from Atlanta, GA, Live from Mazzy's Sports Bar (The Official Atlanta Jets Bar) here on BlogTalk Radio.

Jason and Naim will be talking about the Patriots at Jets show down, the fight for the right to claim 1st place in the AFC East and some of the games played in week 10.

We want all Patriots fans to Call-In to the show and give your 2 cents about the Jets, and upcoming game. Will Brady wither under the Jets pass rush, will Wes Welker get roughed up by Revis? It will be an INTENSE fan to fan war of words, stats and facts. But please no profanity, keep it intense but clean.

- Listen and Tune in to the show at 7 pm Est on this link -->The Gang Green Radio Show Online Radio by The Gang Green Show | Blog Talk Radio

- Give your thoughts during the show LIVE by calling the show at (877) 774- 3175 - we'll be with you from 7pm- 8m pm EST

Last edited:
Re: It's a War of wits with Jets fans unarmed

Shouldn't this be in the "Jets Suck" thread?

.... I don't know why so many people have to be so outrageous for me to suggest that. It's one thing to disagree, but it's another thing to suggest I'm acting as if he's damaged goods.

Hmmm............

I'll simply say it: he's washed up. He's not hurt, he's just damaged goods.

His days of being an elite QB are over.

...Brady wants old corpses out there with him, so he doesn't feel lonely.

He is washed up. For Tom Brady standards, he's not the same. Although washed up Tom Brady is still better than 90% of the league. Geez, is it really that hard to understand what I'm saying...

Reality: Brady's completion percentage is the second highest of his career. He's on pace for well over 5000 yards passing, although that will likely come down over time, he's throwing for his 3rd highest TD% ever, despite his (for him) terrible INT%, his Y/C is tied for his highest ever, his sack% is actually lower than it was last season and is the 3rd lowest it's ever been in a 'full' season, his Y/A is the highest of his career and his QB rating is the 3rd highest of his career.

Last edited:
Hmmm............
Reality: Brady's completion percentage is the second highest of his career. He's on pace for well over 5000 yards passing, although that will likely come down over time, he's throwing for his 3rd highest TD% ever, despite his (for him) terrible INT%, his Y/C is tied for his highest ever, his sack% is actually lower than it was last season and is the 3rd lowest it's ever been in a 'full' season, his Y/A is the highest of his career and his QB rating is the 3rd highest of his career.

I'm suspicious that Paul_Newperson is in reality Ryan Mallett posting here in disguise

Last edited:
Re: It's a War of words with Jets fans

The Gang Green Show...We want all Patriots fans to Call-In to the show and give your 2 cents about the Jets, and upcoming game. Will Brady wither under the Jets pass rush, will Wes Welker get roughed up by Revis?

But we may want to be objective and ask if Sanchez might get that "Deer in the Headlights" look and throw picks to Arrington and Mccourty.:rolleyes:

I'm suspicious that Paul_Newperson is in reality Rayan Mallett posting here in disguise

I figure he's a Jets fan, but he could just be a garden variety troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes