PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets close to trading Pete Kendall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kendall has been declared persona non grata by 2 teams now. I think he's going to be traded to the worst team they can find (Oakland maybe?) and he's *still* not going to get a raise. Especially if anyone thinks he was goofing up on purpose. Can you say UNPROFESSIONAL?

There appears to be no professionalism involved in this case on either side. I am never suprised when it comes from a player unless it is a player of utmost character (like a Brady, Bruschi, etc.) so if Kendall did it on purpose I am not shocked, but I am shocked how unprofessional the Jets were to Kendall. I have never seen a professional team play stupid kids games like "accidentally" assigning Kendall to the rookies dorms.

There is no excuse for Kendall purposely muffing the snaps if he did in fact do it on purpose (which is all speculation at this point, but we do have to keep in mind center is not his natural position and it could have actually been mistakes). But that said, there is way you can excuse the Jets for their behavior in this situation. It is one thing to play hardball with a player, it is another to try to humiliate him.

Word is Kendall was traded to Washington. Knowing Snyder, Kendall will get a raise.

As for Kendall in Arizona, he was a vocal leader in the AZ lockerroom and Green wanted to get rid of vocal leaders of the previous regime. Most coaches do that. The Jets did it themselves when they cut Mawae.

PFT reporting that Mr Kendall goes to Washington for a fourth rounder. Says he got a base salary rise from $1.7m to $2.7m. So I guess we'll see him this year anyway.

I'm a little confused by this assertion. Didn't both Branch and Kendall get exactly what they wanted by making nuisances of themselves and becoming huge distractions until their teams agreed to trade them? I don't see how either case sets a good precedent of "control of future issues."
No need for confusion. The most important thing the Pats did with Branch (and they made a really brainless tactical error by having Branch and his agent attempt to find a trading partner) is hold the line, particularly for a player under contract. Under the current collective bargaining agreement, a strong team consistent in its principles can never afford to cave in to a player's demands unless it becomes a mutually agreeable action done privately. Yes, they can sign the player early, as the Pats did with Warren, but they can't afford to set any precedents by agreeing to a player's/ agent's public demands to renegotiate early. If they made that behavior a policy, the line of players looking to renegotiate would become very long.

Remember, the final decision regarding Branch wasn't about whether the Patriots wanted to keep the receiver; rather, the decision became a symbol about the policy they needed to have in place to protect themselves against any future attempts at early, public renegotiation by other players.

I believe this is similar to the Jets and Kendall.

Edited Addition:

Considering what was going on with Kendall regarding the so-called petty stuff that was done during TC, I'm in no way condoning rancor between player and team. If this stuff is true, it's bush on both sides. As another poster observed, the Pats hold a hard line, but treat players with respect. I advocate the hard line, as it's essential to team unity; however, once the respect is lost, then it can hurt the whole team for years to come. If all this is true regarding the Jets coaching and management staffs, then it can establish a very negative environment for future negotiations and free agent acquisitions. We shall see . . .

Last edited:
I'm confused also. The jets used a 1st rounder to replace Kendall. Eventually, Kendall realized that he would never start again for the jets, he wanted out. He whined until he was sent to a team that needs him to start at center. Oh, and just BTW, he received a $1 MILLON pay raise. The jets recieved a 4th and perhaps an extra 5th for solving Washington's starting center problem.

I ignore all the posturing and public statements. Kendall wanted to start, he wanted more money, and he is getting exactly what he asked for. A trade partner was found. The jets are being well compendated. I don't see the problem.

I do understand that many here evaluate the result differently, thinking that one of the three was taken advantage of. I don't think so. I think that as of today, all are happy with the deal.

I do understand that many here evaluate the result differently, thinking that one of the three was taken advantage of. I don't think so. I think that as of today, all are happy with the deal.
Well said, and with fewer words than I needed . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft