PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet Fan Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Credible Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

I think you meant to say if it means upgrading from Welker to say a tall, fast, FA/draft WR who can run disciplined precise routes and block downfield while operating in a read and react offense that requires vulcan mind melding pre and post snap with TFB. Piece of cake. Amazing we haven't found that guy in a decade...

Julio.... Jones. It's just too bad that we have too many other pressing needs elsewhere and most likely will not draft him.

Anyway, this would be an absolutely horrible move. I trust that Belichick isn't stupid enough to make a rash decision like this to simply acquire a second round pick in a draft that isn't nearly as deep as past drafts have been. On top of that, I thought we couldn't trade players for draft picks until the new CBA? Smells like B.S. to me.

Julio.... Jones. It's just too bad that we have too many other pressing needs elsewhere and most likely will not draft him.

Anyway, this would be an absolutely horrible move. I trust that Belichick isn't stupid enough to make a rash decision like this to simply acquire a second round pick in a draft that isn't nearly as deep as past drafts have been. On top of that, I thought we couldn't trade players for draft picks until the new CBA? Smells like B.S. to me.

I don't know Julio from a hole in the wall. That said, like BB always reminds us you don't know how a player will perform in your system until you see him in it... Many have tried, most have failed.

That said, it boggles the mind that this thread title hasn't at least been edited to debunk the insane contention that anything this particular internet nitwit claims is remotely credible...

I don't know Julio from a hole in the wall. That said, like BB always reminds us you don't know how a player will perform in your system until you see him in it... Many have tried, most have failed.

That said, it boggles the mind that this thread title hasn't at least been edited to debunk the insane contention that anything this particular internet nitwit claims is remotely credible...

Jones is actually one of the WR's available that played in a pro style offense. He also played for Saban, whose demeanor is a lot like Belichick's. He plays faster than his 40 time, is big, tall, physical, and has soft hands. His route running, from what I have seen, is ridiculously good. He has all the qualities of a Randy Moss without the impending mental breakdown. While AJ Green is the best receiver in the draft, Jones is the better fit for our system. He can go deep and is a threat over the middle of the field.

YouTube - Julio Jones Highlights 2009

Sorry for the music as I'm pretty sure you're not a 50 Cent guy :cool: but take a look at this highlight reel from 2009. Notice how many Patriot-type plays are in there and the kind of work he does over the middle. Notice how physical he is as a WR. I would love to somehow move back up into the first round and take him if we have DE, OLB, and maybe RG wrapped up (hopefully the CBA can get worked out so we can make a move on one of those positions in FA). I don't think it's going to happen, but a guy can hope.

Incarcerated Boob gets one story right (Revis) and a gazillion wrong...and now he's a credible source? Geez, who's the real boob?

Jones is actually one of the WR's available that played in a pro style offense. He also played for Saban, whose demeanor is a lot like Belichick's. He plays faster than his 40 time, is big, tall, physical, and has soft hands. His route running, from what I have seen, is ridiculously good. He has all the qualities of a Randy Moss without the impending mental breakdown. While AJ Green is the best receiver in the draft, Jones is the better fit for our system. He can go deep and is a threat over the middle of the field.

Sorry for the music as I'm pretty sure you're not a 50 Cent guy :cool: but take a look at this highlight reel from 2009. Notice how many Patriot-type plays are in there and the kind of work he does over the middle. Notice how physical he is as a WR. I would love to somehow move back up into the first round and take him if we have DE, OLB, and maybe RG wrapped up (hopefully the CBA can get worked out so we can make a move on one of those positions in FA). I don't think it's going to happen, but a guy can hope.

I can see how this is a great prospect. Plenty of timed routes, quick slants and he's pretty good with the screen pass. Also a great stiff arm. He would be a great fit.

Could this be . . . Lawyer Milloy revisited?

You never know. Though I'm still waiting for Ice_Ice_Brady to expand on his/her comment from Post #42 (maybe I missed the followup):

"Finally, I heard that there is some smoke about the real reason for benching Welker. A few people were saying that it was more than just the foot comments."

I can see how this is a great prospect. Plenty of timed routes, quick slants and he's pretty good with the screen pass. Also a great stiff arm. He would be a great fit.

Of course there are plenty of pressing needs other than WR, though, and it all depends on whether or not the CBA can get worked out. Hopefully, the NFL realizes whether or not it can get worked out sooner rather than later and, if all else fails, chooses to uphold the 2010 rules again for 2011. That way, we can make a move on at least one of these positions in free agency. Like I said, AJ Green is the best receiver in the draft, talent-wise. But Jones is the best fit in the draft for us.

Does anyone know if Bama run a similar style offense to NEs?

Like U Florida? That would seem to be the first place BB would look for a WR unless Jones came with a triple A rating from Saban.

What kind of "more"?

Not an insider here. No real sources, either. The "world on the street" from radio callers was that Welker ignored Belichick after the footgate comments. Something along the lines of Bill calling him to his office ASAP and Welker not showing up. Who knows if its true. You'd think that benching Welker had a bit more to it than a few comments.

Not an insider here. No real sources, either. The "world on the street" from radio callers was that Welker ignored Belichick after the footgate comments. Something along the lines of Bill calling him to his office ASAP and Welker not showing up. Who knows if its true. You'd think that benching Welker had a bit more to it than a few comments.

Thanks for clarifying; hadn't heard that. Not ideal but not alarming, unless it's a pattern.

Besides that I hear he is one of the "toughest" WRs in awhile and gives dirty blocks, kindof like Hines Ward. That'd be nice for the offense.

Everytime I keep reading on him I like him more. If he's at #17 I know we have holes at O-line and D-line but I wouldn't pass him up.

Last edited:

You'd think that benching Welker had a bit more to it than a few comments.
Not really. BB has consistently shown that he is a team first coach and what Welker said, while clever, went against the code. Welker had to pay a price to show that no one player is bigger than the team, so he got benched from the first offensive series. Not like he sat out an entire quarter, half or game.

We haven't won a ring since Welker got here, just a lot of passing yards. Personally I think we have 3 short quick white guys in Wes, Edelman, and Woody. I wouldn't mind getting rid of one of them to improve other areas holding the team back. O line is a major concern for me and while it isn't necessary I would love to see a solid reciever like Ocho, VJ, or someone else.

We haven't won a ring since Welker got here, just a lot of passing yards. Personally I think we have 3 short quick white guys in Wes, Edelman, and Woody. I wouldn't mind getting rid of one of them to improve other areas holding the team back. O line is a major concern for me and while it isn't necessary I would love to see a solid reciever like Ocho, VJ, or someone else.

Ummm . . . that's not BECAUSE OF Welker.

And I shudder to think what would have happened to the 2008 and 2009 Pats without him.

I can see it happening trade him a little early while you get something for him.I think he has slowed down a bit and he had way too many drops for my liking.Better off trading a year early than a year late.

Skill positions are a dime a dozen.The best QB in the worldcan make chicken salad out of chicken bleep.
You need an O Line and defense to win championships.
Brady was sacked 0 times in 04 in three games in the playoffs, he has been sacked 15 times in his last 3 playoffs games with plenty of weapons.

Arena football is officially over in New England.

Definitely, this team needs a drastic turn around in its toughness in the trenches. All these conservative Pats fans can say whatever about 2 MVPs in 3 years or winning 14 games, scoring 500 etc. But at the end of the day that means nothing when a wild card team comes to punch you in the mouth, lets not have Brady's last decade look like Peyton and Marino's career.

Last edited:

Definitely, this team needs a drastic turn around in its toughness in the trenches. All these conservative Pats fans can say whatever about 2 MVPs in 3 years or winning 14 games, scoring 500 etc. But at the end of the day that means nothing when a wild card team comes to punch you in the mouth, lets not have Brady's last decade look like Peyton and Marino's career.

Wilfork, Mankins and several of the others aren't tough enough I guess.

What's really needed is a pass rush, that's it.

No other team in football has won more games than the Patriots, but since the defense has been totally retooled from top to bottom other than Wilfork, we haven't had a pass rush.

You could have gone back to the days when Bruschi, Ty Law, Milloy, McGinest, Ted Johnson had about 5 years in the league, and you could say the same thing. Bruschi, Milloy, McGinest, get punched in the moth and don't fight back. But the fact is, it's a lot more complicated. The difference between 2003-2004 and 2010 is miniscule, and it's not about manhood. It's about talent. Our front 7 does not rush the passer.

That's it!

Ummm . . . that's not BECAUSE OF Welker.

And I shudder to think what would have happened to the 2008 and 2009 Pats without him.

Getting rid of one solid player can help bring in another, so while it isn't Welker's fault it is possible that we can replace him with another need, at the end of the day unless this team changes the basic foundation I don't think we will be any threat.

Wilfork, Mankins and several of the others aren't tough enough I guess.

What's really needed is a pass rush, that's it.

No other team in football has won more games than the Patriots, but since the defense has been totally retooled from top to bottom other than Wilfork, we haven't had a pass rush.

You could have gone back to the days when Bruschi, Ty Law, Milloy, McGinest, Ted Johnson had about 5 years in the league, and you could say the same thing. Bruschi, Milloy, McGinest, get punched in the moth and don't fight back. But the fact is, it's a lot more complicated. The difference between 2003-2004 and 2010 is miniscule, and it's not about manhood. It's about talent. Our front 7 does not rush the passer.

That's it!

The Jets have won more playoff games in 2 seasons than we have since gaining Welker 3 years ago. So my point is that we should work towards winning playoff football that the 03/04 Pats were perfect at. Mankins and Wilfork are awesome but they can't do everything when their partners are getting blocked or beat.

I agree we need a pass rush, but even without a pass rush we could still be in the hunt today if we had better blocking on the offensive line, those are two key areas where we have a leader and some guys that are imo soft, and that hasn't changed since 07, I think the idea of going 18-1 or 14-3 with an MVP blocks people from looking at the bigger picture, it won't suddenly work out unless we get lucky like the 06 Colts.

I hope this is right. I'm not the biggest Edelman fan in the world but Welker's role has gotten too big, he shouldn't be leading the team in receptions. It's similar to the Randy Moss situation, the only way Tom Brady is gonna stop staring him down is if he's no longer on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes