PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jet Fan Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Credible Twitter source: Pats to shop Welker

When do you guys think Welker will start slowing down? He turns 30 on May 1 and has taken a lot more punishment than the average receiver.

But not as many as it looks like he takes. If you watch closely, a lot of the time, he adjusts his body so he doesn't take as much of a hit as you might expect.

Edelman does not have Welker's hands, and is not close to an equivalent. He is still learning the receiver role and is something of a project at this point - the reason he has not spent much time as receiver this season. Wouldn't Edelman see more reps during the past season if that move were intended?

Welker has been Brady's go to guy, and he does not seem to be a "get me the ball" receiver in terms of demanding attention from Brady. Reliable hands get paid, and the Pats will pay him. The Colts and their offensive success this year, and the Pats in 2006, showed that it does matter who great QBs throw to.

I join this saying this is not gonna happen. The offense is running well, so why inject a challenge in terms of who steps up to replace that void? Belichick brought Welker here because he liked his abilities. Now that he has proven he is every bit the player BB thought he was, he dumps him? Not.

Last edited:

I don't agree with trading Welker, but he did drop 10.5% of his targeted passes this year which was really unusual...

Don't say that to anyone. That'll take the drama out of this thread.

Lots of teams negotiate before the actual official period that they can make trades/do signings. Teams regularly sign players within hours past midnight on the first day to sign free agents.

Lots of teams make deals that they don't announce or handle publicly until later for all kinds of reasons ( PR, money, contracts, etc) Mostly teams will tend to avoid making news this time of year to not interfere with press for the playoffs/Superbowl.

It's a MISTAKE not to use this time if you've been eliminated already. Teams still playing don't have that advantage. They have to focus on games. Teams out of it have to use their one advantage now, time, to their favor. It's the same reason why we see more mid season firings now more than ever, the time it takes to cycle out an old regime might be the difference between getting opportunity 1 versus opportunity 2.

When you can make a deal and when you can start talking about making a deal are two different things entirely.

The current CBA issues don't preclude the Patriots from talking about trading Welker.

Almost all modern teams, esp the ones that tend to show long term success in recent years ( Steelers, Eagles, Patriots ) tend to do personnel the "49er Way" which is better to let a player go one year too soon than one year too late. Hell, even Joe Montana got traded. Ronnie Lott got cut. Jerry Rice was allowed to walk away. Other than Tom Brady and maybe Wilfork, everyone on the Patriots roster is pretty much expendable.

The current CBA issues don't preclude the Patriots from talking about trading Welker.

There's a serious problem, though: no one knows that there will even be a free agency period this year. Unlike most years, the only proven chance teams will have to add talent this year is via the draft.

Equally importantly, the Patriots do not always subscribe to that 49ers school. As but one example, they franchised Samuel, and figured it was better to have him play under the tender, with a promise not to franchise him, than to trade him for pick(s).

And one more fact: just because a player wants a big deal, that doesn't mean he'll get it. I can't really see anyone offering much more than his current contract (5 yr/$18M), simply because he wouldn't be used as much as NE uses him by most teams.

I will believe it when I read it from multiple sources!

But I can see it happening, but doubt he would get a big contract somewhere else.

He is the one player I think people question, whether he is best in the system!

Incarcerated Boob has been getting a lot of hits lately because he tweets ridiculously insane rumors citing his inside sources, which he really doesn't have. Cliff Lee to the Yanks was a done deal with a press conference coming, Yanks fans are still waiting for that conference. Matt Moulson to the Bruins and Thrashers as of Sunday, never happened. Neither did that VJ trade to the Pats. Next one Incarcerated Boob gets right, will be his first one. Welker ain't going anywhere.

Can the mods PLEASE change the title? Incarcerated Bob is not a "credible source"

I can name 2 AFC teams i'd hate to see him land on....and they play this weekend

How many picks in the first 3 rds are too much. I mean if Vets are being traded for more picks.
It just doesn't make sense.

I can see it happening trade him a little early while you get something for him.I think he has slowed down a bit and he had way too many drops for my liking.Better off trading a year early than a year late.

Skill positions are a dime a dozen.The best QB in the worldcan make chicken salad out of chicken bleep.
You need an O Line and defense to win championships.
Brady was sacked 0 times in 04 in three games in the playoffs, he has been sacked 15 times in his last 3 playoffs games with plenty of weapons.

Arena football is officially over in New England.

Doubt it. i hope this doesnt happen. Welker is too reliable to just be traded away. He fits right into our system.

"Credible Source" called IncarceratedBob is just too funny.

Last edited:

Haven't read the whole thread but:

- Welker had to have been embarrassed about his treatment on Sunday

- BB had to have been REALLY PISSED to have benched Welker

- Welker is in the last year of his deal in 2011

- Welker was not as good in 2010 as he had been before, understandably

- Welker is probably pissed or unhappy that the Pats have not yet re-upped him, as his last deal was below market

- BB is not sentimental and has gotten rid of almost every veteran a year early rather than a year late

As a result, I could see this story being right, even if incarcerated bob is making it up out of whole cloth.

Lots of teams negotiate before the actual official period that they can make trades/do signings. Teams regularly sign players within hours past midnight on the first day to sign free agents.

Lots of teams make deals that they don't announce or handle publicly until later for all kinds of reasons ( PR, money, contracts, etc) Mostly teams will tend to avoid making news this time of year to not interfere with press for the playoffs/Superbowl.

It's a MISTAKE not to use this time if you've been eliminated already. Teams still playing don't have that advantage. They have to focus on games. Teams out of it have to use their one advantage now, time, to their favor. It's the same reason why we see more mid season firings now more than ever, the time it takes to cycle out an old regime might be the difference between getting opportunity 1 versus opportunity 2.

When you can make a deal and when you can start talking about making a deal are two different things entirely.

Almost all modern teams, esp the ones that tend to show long term success in recent years ( Steelers, Eagles, Patriots ) tend to do personnel the "49er Way" which is better to let a player go one year too soon than one year too late. Hell, even Joe Montana got traded. Ronnie Lott got cut. Jerry Rice was allowed to walk away. Other than Tom Brady and maybe Wilfork, everyone on the Patriots roster is pretty much expendable.

That is because the can not make a trade or announce a trade until the 1st day of the new league year. No trades can be made from the 4pm the Tuesday after week 6 till the 1st day of next league year.(Mar 1 or so).

You are right about the current CBA issues do not prevent them from talking to teams about trading Welker, but they do prevent them from trading. Why talk with teams right now about it, when you have no idea when a new CBA will be announced.

This thread has as much credibility as the guy from Nigeria who keeps emailing me and wants to send me money.

Let's recap:

I think the folks at Pats Propaganda disagree with the credible bit.

Pats Propaganda

"I can’t say that I definitively know that this is untrue, but I do know that Bob reports a lot of stuff that never happens. His tweets surrounding Jim Harbaugh were pretty comical, he had Harbaugh as a lock to multiple places multiple times.
It’s also worth mentioning that Bob is a Jets fan, so we can’t rule out him just trying to drive a stake between the Pats and Welker after his first series benching.
Finally, and most logically, the season ended three days ago. Are we to assume that the Patriots, namely BB, already sat down, decided that they’d be better off getting either a 3rd second or third round pick than they’d be with WW coming into year two after an ACL injury (usually the year they get back to 100%)? Not only did they decide all this but they told people who then somehow leaked word back to Incarcerated Bob? Highly doubtful.
Perhaps Bob or his sources (likely Jets related) saw a small rift between BB and WW and wanted to try to up the stakes. The fact is that players have had rifts with BB before, but once it’s over with it’s in the past. So I find it unlikely that there would be residual tension based on Welker getting benched for one series."

Not happening anytime soon, remember no player trading for the draft pick this season until a new CBA is in place.

First step in being credible, is having an actual name. Writing about, or working for a football team would help, but being an actual verifiable human is essential IMO.

This thread is simply a reminder of the fact it's going to be a long, long offseason :ugh:

Until I hear this from someone like Mike Reiss, Ian Rapoport, Chris Price, SMY, or Jeff Howe, I'm dismissing it as rumor, especially considering WR is an area they still need help with. You lose Welker, now you need two guys instead of one (one slot, one outside guy). I love Edelman, but prior to the Miami game and the playoff game, the poor guy looked completely shaken confidence-wise. I wouldn't put all my stock in him until at least after seeing how he performs next season

Welker's not Moss, we didn't see Brady forcing the ball to him and messing up the offense. He's a guy who fits exactly what they want to do offensively. I understand the concept of not wanting to let a guy of his calibur walk and getting nothing in return, but I don't see them moving him. Not unless there's an irreparable rift with Belichick, and I'd like to think that's not the case.

Needless to say count me in the, "I don't see this happening category." :rolleyes:

This is all a Wild-Ass-Guess based on tying together a few facts and rumors. This guy is trying to add to his credibility by speculating in the hopes that he is right.
Fact-WW is due a new contract next year.
Fact-He was benched for crossing a predetermined line drawn by BB.
Fact-Brady looked deeply affected before the kick-off.
Speculation-Brady was shaken by WWs benching.
Rumor-Brady was crying on WWs shoulder post-game.
Wild speculation-WW told BB he was through at mention of benching.
Conclusion-WW is on the trading block.
If this guy is right, he looks like he had inside info.
If he is wrong no one gives a **** because he is a nobody.

It's an easy rumor to make up, almost lazy.

Contract year, numbers were down, POed about the benching, blah blah blah.

So we are to believe a Jet fan has inside information about the Patriots off-season plans 3 days after the season is over?
How did this even get a thread? And how did CREDIBLE end up in the title?

:rolleyes:

I could see this happening.

Theres redundancy in the NE WR line up with Edleman and Welker. Edleman was actually faster than Welker before his knee injury. So, replacing Welker with Edleman would not be a drop off in the least assuming Edleman improves his concentration.

I could see this happening.

Theres redundancy in the NE WR line up with Edleman and Welker. Edleman was actually faster than Welker before his knee injury. So, replacing Welker with Edleman would not be a drop off in the least assuming Edleman improves his concentration.

I can see this happening too. Hernandez and Edelman can play a similar role not to mention Woodhead who also can catch the ball and probably is better suited for that type of role.

We all know BB already is as cold as it gets, but this still will be bold. Welker has been a team player and does all the right things (aside from the foot jokes). He plays hurt, and gives it all he got every time he's on the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back