PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice isnt as impressed with Moss' record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I have to go with Jerry on this one. The fact that he did do it in 12 games is unreal. As long as the media points out when Moss breaks it that Jerry did it in a short season it is fine, I think. Not a lot of people are aware of that.

Gotta go with Tommysgirl on this one. Jerry deserves an astersik - a good one - with his 2nd place in the record books. He's proud of his record, and he has every right to be... but then again, that's the reality of a strike shortened season. No one forced them to sit out.

From Reiss:

Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Jerry Rice, who holds the NFL record for touchdown catches in a season with 22, talks to the Associated Press about Randy Moss' pursuit of his record.

Rice tells reporter Howard Ulman that he will congratulate Moss (19 TDs) if he breaks the record.

"The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that I did it during the strike year," Rice says to the AP. "It was 12 games for me. If he had done it in 12 games, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I'm still going to congratulate him and do all of that.

"But I'm surprised the league is taking it upon themselves to give him 16 games to do it."

He does make a good point.....

1985 sfo | 16 | 6 26 4.3 1 | 49 927 18.9 3 |
| 1986 sfo | 16 | 10 72 7.2 1 | 86 1570 18.3 15 |
| 1987 sfo | 12 | 8 51 6.4 1 | 65 1078 16.6 22 |
| 1988 sfo | 16 | 13 107 8.2 1 | 64 1306 20.4 9 |
| 1989 sfo | 16 | 5 33 6.6 0 | 82 1483 18.1 17 |
| 1990 sfo | 16 | 2 0 0.0 0 | 100 1502 15.0 13 |
| 1991 sfo | 16 | 1 2 2.0 0 | 80 1206 15.1 14 |
| 1992 sfo | 16 | 9 58 6.4 1 | 84 1201 14.3 10 |
| 1993 sfo | 16 | 3 69 23.0 1 | 98 1503 15.3 15 |
| 1994 sfo | 16 | 7 93 13.3 2 | 112 1499 13.4 13 |
| 1995 sfo | 16 | 5 36 7.2 1 | 122 1848 15.1 15 |
| 1996 sfo | 16 | 11 77 7.0 1 | 108 1254 11.6 8 |
| 1997 sfo | 2 | 1 -10 -10.0 0 | 7 78 11.1 1 |
| 1998 sfo | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 82 1157 14.1 9 |
| 1999 sfo | 16 | 2 13 6.5 0 | 67 830 12.4 5 |
| 2000 sfo | 16 | 1 -2 -2.0 0 | 75 805 10.7 7 |
| 2001 oak | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 83 1139 13.7 9 |
| 2002 oak | 16 | 3 20 6.7 0 | 92 1211 13.2 7 |
| 2003 oak | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 63 869 13.8 2 |
| 2004 oak | 4 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 5 67 13.4 0 |
| 2004 sea | 13 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 25 362 14.5 3 |

Look at all those 16 game seasons with Montana, Young, Gannon, etc. Why didn't he ever get more than 22 in all those 16 game seasons if all he needed was 16 games?

I guess no one debates this. Even Jerry! Haha, this is coming from the biggest Moss fan out there, but imo Jerry's asterisk should say "played with Hall of Fame qbs almost every season" instead. Moss will hold the "season record". He's not trying to claim the 12 game record. By the way, who has the 11 game record or the 14 game record? Does anybody care?

I don't give 2 sh!ts if Jerry is impressed or not.

I don't care if Peyton is impressed with Tom throwing more TDs.

Or if Donny is impressed with 19-0.

Catching a football is incredibly easy. If you're a fast professional wideout, and the other players are replacements or the starters are too busy looking for real jobs while the strike is going on, it is very easy to inflate your numbers. Even for Rice and his team, 22 TDs was absurd and unrealistic in a real season so they didn't play starters or Rice in the other 3 games (but only 12 of 15.) They felt guilty about inflating Jerry's number further.

If he had set an Olympic jump or speed record that no one has matched since, though the Olympics that year had to be canceled, that record is still comparable year to year. But if your record depends on how hard the opponents try, and you're in a strike year, then that's a different story.

I also don't think they had instant replay that year. They must have taken away at least two or three Moss touchdowns due to instant replay.

Should achievements from that year be in the recordbooks? Of course! They happened, no matter the circumstances. But can you pretend that it means you're better if you do something in a strike year than someone else accomplishes in a real year? No!

It's VERY EASY to score a touchdown if you're open in the end zone and the quarterback has time to throw. 34% of JR's receptions were for TDs. If it's true that many players were out of shape, unlike Rice, during the strike, then it's very easy to set any kind of record.

This is DIFFERENT than bowling 300, which could be comparable year to year.

Plus, many players have scored 17 and 18 touchdowns. That is just 4 to 5 touchdowns less. If you consider the situation Rice was playing in and the fact that many of Moss's touchdowns were taken away (some correctly, but wouldn't have been taken away without instant replay) and that Moss is playing a real season, and they're being played like it's the other team's Super Bowl, one can see how inflated Rice's 22 number really is. And if he played games 10, 11 and 12 against replacements, where he scored about 7 touchdowns, you can see how Moss's realistic touchdown count is closer to between 10 and 15 for 12 games.

Last edited:
From Reiss:

Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Jerry Rice, who holds the NFL record for touchdown catches in a season with 22, talks to the Associated Press about Randy Moss' pursuit of his record.

Rice tells reporter Howard Ulman that he will congratulate Moss (19 TDs) if he breaks the record.

"The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that I did it during the strike year," Rice says to the AP. "It was 12 games for me. If he had done it in 12 games, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I'm still going to congratulate him and do all of that.

"But I'm surprised the league is taking it upon themselves to give him 16 games to do it."

He was on the NFL network before the Cin-SF game saying the same tired thing. Kind of pathetic if you think about it.

how many td's has moss had taken away from him this season due to OPI? like 3? its kinda of moss's fault for not already having the record..he has dropped some endzone balls that he would have caught blind-folded in minnesota..4 that come to my mind..

1. Touchdown Vs the Steelers in the 4th Quarter, the ball was in his hands
2. Touchdown vs the Ravens..the ball was IN HIS HANDS
3. Touchdown vs the Bills..the ball hit the #81, he caught it, and lost it while being tackled..it would of been #5 of the day..
4. Touchdown vs the cowboys, he caught it but didnt secure the ball as he landed..

thats just the ones Ive seen him the games ive watched..Randy Moss is still by far the best WR but his hands were better in Minnesota..add that and the #3 OPI touchdowns that were taking away he would have 26 right now!!

Are you on drugs?? The fact that he made that play reviewable was beyond amazing...saying he should have caught ihat is crazy. And his hands are the same, WRs drop balls the same way QBs make bad throws. Moss in this season alone has given more than enough evidence to suggest his hands are just fine.

Last edited:
Also, Jerry has had far, far better qbs than Moss with the exception of this year.

I don't think that quarterback quality should really come into play here. Even if you make that point, I don't know what point you are trying to make as the only relevant year to breaking this record Moss will have had the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.

Are you on drugs?? The fact that he made that play reviewable was beyond amazing...saying he should have caught ihat is crazy. And his hands are the same, WRs drop balls the same way QBs make bad throws. Moss in this season alone has given more than enough evidence to suggest his hands are just fine.

good point, it just goes to show how greedy we have become. We could also create a list of TDs in which only Moss' super human ability allowed him to come down with the ball for a TD instead of dropping harmlessly to the ground.

1.) Moss' TD bomb in Miami.
1.b) Moss' TD bomb in Miami part II.
3.) His fingertip grab of a Brady bomb in week 3 vs. the Bills.

good point, it just goes to show how greedy we have become. We could also create a list of TDs in which only Moss' super human ability allowed him to come down with the ball for a TD instead of dropping harmlessly to the ground.

1.) Moss' TD bomb in Miami.
1.b) Moss' TD bomb in Miami part II.
3.) His fingertip grab of a Brady bomb in week 3 vs. the Bills.

Dont forget the TD against the Bengals,,outjumping the dbs and staying inbounds. Also the TD against the Jets where he burnt 3 guys..thats another "only Moss" TD.

I don't think that quarterback quality should really come into play here. Even if you make that point, I don't know what point you are trying to make as the only relevant year to breaking this record Moss will have had the greatest QB of all time throwing to him.

My point is that this is the only year, a full 16 game season, that Moss has had a chance to put up huge numbers with a good qb (happens to be an all-time great). Jerry Rice had many 16 game seasons with all-time great qbs in which he could have put up huge numbers. Therefore, it looks like Moss is 1 for 1 whereas Jerry only reached those kinds of numbers that one year despite all those full seasons with Montana and Young. It makes you think that, all things being equal, Moss is the more prolific receiver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft