PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerry Rice isnt as impressed with Moss' record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
From Reiss:

Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Jerry Rice, who holds the NFL record for touchdown catches in a season with 22, talks to the Associated Press about Randy Moss' pursuit of his record.

Rice tells reporter Howard Ulman that he will congratulate Moss (19 TDs) if he breaks the record.

"The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that I did it during the strike year," Rice says to the AP. "It was 12 games for me. If he had done it in 12 games, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I'm still going to congratulate him and do all of that.

"But I'm surprised the league is taking it upon themselves to give him 16 games to do it."

From Reiss:

Former San Francisco 49ers receiver Jerry Rice, who holds the NFL record for touchdown catches in a season with 22, talks to the Associated Press about Randy Moss' pursuit of his record.

Rice tells reporter Howard Ulman that he will congratulate Moss (19 TDs) if he breaks the record.

"The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that I did it during the strike year," Rice says to the AP. "It was 12 games for me. If he had done it in 12 games, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I'm still going to congratulate him and do all of that.

"But I'm surprised the league is taking it upon themselves to give him 16 games to do it."

what a baby lol

Why can't athletes get over themselves even once they retire? It isn't YOUR record. Its the NFL's. Right now your the one with the most TD's in a season. Thats it. They aren't saying it's more impressive or anything. Athletes are becoming more and more despicable.

Uh, what. The league is giving him 16 games to get it? It's a regular season record Jerry - there are 16 games in a season. If you had it your way, the record books would be full of most TD's for the first 5 games, 7 games, etc.

The truth of it is, Jerry, is that you had multiple seasons of 16 games to set the record. So if you couldn't beat your own 12 game record in other seasons of 16 games, then it should stand as still being impressive.

I lost respect for Rice when he went on dancing for stars. He displayed his dorkiness

Eh, I have to go with Jerry on this one. The fact that he did do it in 12 games is unreal. As long as the media points out when Moss breaks it that Jerry did it in a short season it is fine, I think. Not a lot of people are aware of that.

The reason why the NFL is giving Moss 16 games to break your record is because the players are being rewarded for playing the entire season as they are obligated and had you not gone on strike and you would of had your 16 games as well.

It is what it is. Yes, it is a very impressive feat, but he did have 18(?) other seasons to break that record. Anyways, who's to say that he would have had more TD's if had played 4 more games?

He's completely right though, I don't see this as sour grapes. The fact that Moss is really the only one who's had a legitimate chance to break it and it will still be a close call after 16 games instead of 12 is really a testament to how amazing that record was.

ASTERISK ALERT!!!!

just kidding.
Seriously though, if Rice couldnt best his own 12 game record during 16 games, it stands as a pretty impressive record as far as I'm concerned.

Moss will just have to get the record in 12 games next year

He's completely right though, I don't see this as sour grapes. The fact that Moss is really the only one who's had a legitimate chance to break it and it will still be a close call after 16 games instead of 12 is really a testament to how amazing that record was.

As Belichick would say, it is what it is.

If the weather hadn't been crappy in Baltimore, if a couple of clear Moss TDs hadn't been called back by bull**** officiating, IF IF IF.... Moss might have done it in 12. Whatever.

I'm actually surprised Rice is classless enough to say something like this.

Last edited:
A record is a record. However, Rice doing it in 12 games DOES make his accomplishment more impressive. Regardless, a record is a record. Sucks for Rice, what he did was amazing.

1. Rice makes the obvious point, 22 TDs in 12 games is more impressive than 22 in 16.
2. Pretty sure Moss could care less about the record, and you won't catch Moss whining about the record if someone else breaks it.

I can understand his point. If the Patriots go 19-0 this year, will or won't that be better than the Dolphins going undefeated in fewer games? The Patriots still hold the record for most run yardage in a season by a team. It was in a 14 game season. If another team needs 16 games to break it, is it still the same record?

Thats the part I have a problem with. That statement is putting himself above the league. Its the league's record. It's a full season. It doesn't matter how many games you played. You don't see people complaining that they should adjust 14-game season stats to the equivalent of 16 games. I think it is a selfish statement.

Last edited:
It's Jerry Rice. Greatest Football player in history. So I'll give him a pass on this one.

NFL is not giving just Moss 16 games. All other receivers are getting 16 games too. No one seems to be able to break the 20 TD mark.

If Moss gets 29 TDs by the end of the season, then Rice would have to give credit as Moss's average would be the same as that of Rice. I know it's impossible, let's wait and see.

From Reiss:

He is right, when they saw he was getting close they should have made him sit for 4 games.

his stats could have been skewed though, he might have been playing against scabs in alot of the games instead of regular nfl players

LOL, Rice had plenty of 16 game seasons himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes