PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo vs NYJ: Only One Snap (that didn't count)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Was really hoping he would contribute more in the base D vs a run-oriented offense. Since MIA has been running more than passing lately, this will not change.

He had his surgery a year ago last week. I'm starting to think the old Mayo is gonzo for good.

LINEBACKER

Jamie Collins – 72

Dont’a Hightower – 71

Jonathan Freeny – 22

Jerod Mayo – 1

NOTES: Mayo doesn’t officially credit for a defensive snap for being on the field in the goal-line package when the Jets were called for a false start, but he gets that credit here. This rotation highlights how he is No. 4 on the depth chart. He also played just one special teams snap, while newly acquired Jon Bostic didn’t play on defense (but was on for 19 special-teams snaps). Hightower was impressive with the physical edge he brought the defense and was credited with 10 tackles.

Malcom Brown over Sealver Siliga at DT as Patriots focused on stopping run - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN

His knee must still be bothering him. considering that the jets greatest strength is running the ball, and mayos strength is stopping the run.

Yeah Mayo might be done. Not sure why people think he'll be traded, nobody would want him. He's on a 4.5 million dollar contract.

Could be that say the knee was inflamed and they rested him as rehab so he'll be healthier as the season wears on.
I know, I know.

SMH....such a waste of cap space
Yea...dead cap is $4.4m in 2016.

With that said, no way he is seeing the $4.5m roster bonus and you can rest assured that he won't count $11.4m next year.

SMH....such a waste of cap space

Yeah, but what can you do? At the time he signed the original contract he was one of the better linebackers in the league. Two season ending injuries tend to throw a wrench in those kinds of things, and restructuring only does so much.

I'm hoping he's not fully healthy, otherwise this is very sad to see if this is full strength mayo. I wonder if PUP might have been an option before the season started, although team is thin at LB at it is.

It is always sad to see great players at the end, they will always think they have something left in the tank. Watching Vince in Houston is really not fun. As much as I love Brady and think he is without question, the greatest of all time, he will be the same. He will always think he has something left. The good news for us is that it won't be until 2025!

Yeah, but what can you do? At the time he signed the original contract he was one of the better linebackers in the league. Two season ending injuries tend to throw a wrench in those kinds of things, and restructuring only does so much.

Injuries take their toll. It is not uncommon for a good player to have a precipitous end of career dropoff. It's seemingly arriving early for Mayo. Let's hope that relative inactivity facilitates an ongoing rehab and he's better towards season's end.

Also in the snap count -- low use of 2 TE sets. I was expecting the opposite.

And the 0-RB set turned out to be 4 WR and a TE, not 3+2.

That said -- how much was White staying in to block, vs. going out for a pass?

Too bad about Mayo, he seems to be beyond the twilight stage and is just fading into the sunset.. he was the leading tackler for a few years, but was always criticized as he did not force turnovers.. always liked him, great character, intelligent, great leadership...

Wonder why he wasn't inactive??

If he were to retire how much money do we get back?

Some of the personnel decisions may be dependent on the fact that the Pats are playing twice in five days. If he's still almost unused vs Miami, then I'll start with the hand wringing.

This injury is a tough one, Victor Cruz didn't even come back yet and he's younger.

Mayo is only 29. not sure he would want to retire now

It would really suck for Mayo to be done since he's just 29. But making as many tackles as he does probably takes an especially large toll on your body. The signs point either to done or keeping him "healthy" for a trade. The only way his skills have not declined is if you believe Jonathan Freeny is a good linebacker. I'm not sure I want to take that plunge.

I'm hoping he's not fully healthy, otherwise this is very sad to see if this is full strength mayo. I wonder if PUP might have been an option before the season started, although team is thin at LB at it is.

The cutthroat, shrewder-than-shrewd move is to IR him and get someone in there that they will use.

....like a CB taller than 6-1 that can cover man to man.

The cutthroat, shrewder-than-shrewd move is to IR him and get someone in there that they will use.

....like a CB taller than 6-1 that can cover man to man.

If they only had cap space. good AND cheap CBs are going to be hard to find.

unfortunately for mayo, missing almost 2 years in a row meant we got to see hightower and collins evolve into some top tier players.

It sucks, but the team is better with him on the sideline at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes