PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jermichael Finley may affect how the Pats deal with Hernandez in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hernandez would take less to stay in New England...

Last edited:
I compare Dallas Clark to Aaron H.

Clark received a 6 yr 36m contract.

Don't fall in love with Hernandez too much cause the Pats won't be able to keep both when its pay day.

Why not? The Pats have significant cap room available now and in the future. Gronk and Hernandez are the two elite still on rookie contract players that will get franchise level or better offers based on current performance. Chung will got a solid but non-franchise offer, McCourty will get a solid but non-franchise offer, Solder, based on current performance, could get a very high offer, but he is several years off from being able to extend his rookie deal. Vollmer will get a good extension but not a franchise LT extension due to his injury history. The only vet who is due very big money is Welker, and he is likely to get big but short(ish) term money.

The biggest Pats cap figures in the future (Wilfork and Brady and Mankins) are nearing the end of their careers, not the beginning of big money days.

The Pats traditionally have been able to do one to two very big money extensions per year, so the 2012-2013 offseason priority is to lock in the tight-ends for the prime of their playing careers while acknowldging that one or both may get another bite at a big money contract before they hit 30.

Don't fall in love with Hernandez too much cause the Pats won't be able to keep both when its pay day.
Yes they will. The cap will be in outer space. Neither Gronk not Hernandez are going anywhere else anytime soon. Bank on it. Why in the hell would anyone worry about this on the eve of the SB???

The Packers say that they would prefer to work out a longer term contract than franchise Finley. It's no secret that the Packers are less than impressed by Finley's performance this year with all those dropped passes. He's worth keeping for sure, and hopefully he'll get it worked out by next year, but he is not in Graham's or Gronk's or Hernandez's class. I think they'll sign him to a multi-year contract that is less than the cap for TEs.

So I think it's going to be a non-issue.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I strongly believe Belichick will do what it takes to keep both Hernandez and Gronkowski in New England for a 2nd contract.

The cap is going up thanks to the new TV contracts, the franchise tag will be available, and the two of them mean everything to this offense.

The only thing that could change between now and then is Belichick finding another player similar to Hernandez in the draft, but I would be surprised if that happens. We all know there isn't going to be another Gronkowski.

Ironically, that may be Glenn Gronkowski. . . . who supposedly is an even better athlete than GRONK. :eek:

The Pats have a ton of cap space right now, and frankly I see only a couple current players who have deals coming up in the next few years that will require large amounts of money to re-sign.

As long as the Patriots aren't trying to sign all-pro free agent corners and defensive linemen at the same time they try to re-sign our top 3 receivers, they should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back