PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeremy Fowler said the Patriots won't try to resign Onwenu

Right, but if you don't pay for an oline, you're just going to get your QB killed, which will extend the rebuild for even longer (see the Colts with Luck or the Texans with Carr). This argument only makes sense if you're foregoing a high QB this draft and drafting an OT with 3 (or after a trade down).
yep. unless they think Daniels is the guy, I'm leaning towards the trade down and getting the OT and a few other goodies

Someone on this board has been asking the question for months.

Is Onwenu worth $20M AAV as a RT?

Is Onwenu worth $20M a year as a RG, given that we have a top rookie RG in Sow?
And that's the crux of the matter. So many posters claimed having the #3 pick and $75+M in cap was going to solve all our problems, ignoring our own UDFAs and the fact almost the entire offense needs to be rebuilt.

We can't tag Onwenu because the entire tag becomes a cap hit and it's too high. Is he a RT or a RG?

Top RG contracts: we should've kept Shaq.
Screenshot_20240119_233814_Firefox.jpg

RG free agents:
Screenshot_20240119_234147_Firefox.jpg

Top RT contracts: Oof
Screenshot_20240119_234903_Firefox.jpg

RT free agents: Oof
Screenshot_20240119_234328_Firefox.jpg

So add RT to draft list.

At this point, and please don't murder me, given Mayo is now the HC, we really should try to re-sign Trent. Hopefully Mayo can feed him some bs about he'll be valued as a human and we get one more good year out of him w/ proper motivation. We still need to draft a LT though.

They can afford market value for one of only a few offensive players who are worth it.
Sure, but we also need TE1, TE2, WR1, WR2, QB and LT. Plus RB2 and swing tackle.

****ing Bill left us in a mess.

Can someone help me out, how did Mafi look this year? I do not have any of the games recorded and did not look for him specifically while watching on TV. I would like to see at least 2 OL drafted this year.

Thanks
Bad.

We have been on a long trend of letting our good to great players walk, thinking we can replace them.

I hope Mayo changes that. Tag him if needed (Not like we are stranded for cap).

Because a tag is 21.7 million dollars, and 2 first round picks is the compensation.

I mean, this is Mike Onwenu we're talking about here, not Bruce Armstrong.
Wow. A $21.7 million franchise tag for an offensive lineman is insane (as is just about every other number on the chart: Franchise, Transition and RFA Tenders | Over the Cap. It's interesting that all the OL are lumped together when the OTs are far more valuable due to the rarity of really good tackles who can handle the pressure from edge rushers.

It makes the idea of trading the #3 pick all that much more plausible. If the Patriots could turn the #3 pick into a low-#1, and #3 and a late rounder, it would be worth loading up on young offensive talent.

I wonder what they could sign Onwenu for over four years with guaranteed money in the $40 million range which is in the ballpark of Joe Thuney's deal in Kansas City.

Last edited:
Wow. A $21.7 million franchise tag for an offensive lineman is insane (as is just about every other number on the chart: Franchise, Transition and RFA Tenders | Over the Cap. It's interesting that all the OL are lumped together when the OTs are far more valuable due to the rarity of really good tackles who can hand the pressure from the edge rushers.

It makes the idea of trading the #3 pick all that much more plausible. If the Patriots could turn the #3 pick into a low-#1, and #3 and a late rounder, it would be worth loading up on young offensive talent.

I wonder what they could sign Onwenu for over four years with guaranteed money in the $40 million range which is in the ballpark of Joe Thuney's deal in Kansas City.
Or, you know, a good team could offer that.

Or, you know, a good team could offer that.
If they put a tag on him, then a better team would have to offer a good draft pick to get him.

If they put a tag on him, it's 21 million dollars. For Mike Onwenu.
On who are we are going to spend this money?

We are not one or two pieces away, even if we splash hard in Free Agency, it's unlikely we are going to contend next year

I think, the way the league is set right now, talent is prime. BB has been trying to replace talent through draft and FA, and failing, speciall for OL. There is less training time, and training nows have been set to put health and with "less contact" than ever before. This affects the OL specially

If we are going after a QB in this draft, we NEED to protect him or put everything to lose. 21M is not that high of a price

Sure, but we also need TE1, TE2, WR1, WR2, QB and LT. Plus RB2 and swing tackle.

****ing Bill left us in a mess.
BB the GM is killing JM the HC.
True succession.
BB would have been in the same shoes and wouldn't even complain about it.

What it boils down to, is that this is going to be at least a 2-year rebuild on offense. We need three lineman, mabey more. Brown is not an option in my book, we need to complete culture reset and he's part of the problem. The free agent crop sucks. The only option seems to be to get our receivers in free agency in double down on tackles in the draft.

As much as I'd like to see the team become instantly relevant, I don't want to see a rookie quarterback brought in with two or more rookie offensive linemen. I hope that Kraft has the patience to allow Mayo to do this right and not kill another quarterback's career. We need to bring in a veteran placeholder like a Tannehill or a Brissett and commit to redshirting the rookie for a full year, or longer, until the new offense gels.

BB the GM is killing JM the HC.
True succession.
BB would have been in the same shoes and wouldn't even complain about it.
Mayo isn't complaining. We need to keep in mind the situation the roster was in when it was handed to him, and realize it'll take multiple years to turn this mess around. The posters that wanted to run it back with Bill, saying he could turn it around this upcoming season were always delusional.

On who are we are going to spend this money?

We are not one or two pieces away, even if we splash hard in Free Agency, it's unlikely we are going to contend next year

I think, the way the league is set right now, talent is prime. BB has been trying to replace talent through draft and FA, and failing, speciall for OL. There is less training time, and training nows have been set to put health and with "less contact" than ever before. This affects the OL specially

If we are going after a QB in this draft, we NEED to protect him or put everything to lose. 21M is not that high of a price
Good point. I thought $20 mill would be an overpay for a guard but the table @venecol provided shows it is not -- assuming Mike is one of the top 3. Given that he can also play tackle, seems like he is worth it. Even if it is a little more, better to give it to home grown than free agents. Let players know if they produce, the team will reward them kind of thing.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back