PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Howe: Dobson had foot surgery 3/9; 2-3 month recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
He isn't a game changer but I'm expecting Emmanuel Sanders, they seem to really like him. Like it or not I expect our WR group to be Dobson, Sanders, Amendola, Boyce and either Edelman or competition between Thompkins, Harrison and a draftee.

James Jones would be a much better addition than Sanders.

I'm just saying that's what I expect. They tried for him last offseason and, according to Mike Giardi, tried hard to trade for him near the trade deadline. For whatever reason (I think it's his sick 6.64 three cone time) they seem to really like him and I'll be surprised if he's not here next year - very possibly by tonight.

If we signed Sanders and Edelman, Belichick could have his three cone wet dream with Sanders, Edelman, Boyce and their 6.64, 6.62, 6.68 three cones. I am almost certain no team has had three WR with three three coners under 6.70. Note, I'm not passing judgement on how good they'd be just that if the defenders would stand there like cones they'd be very tough to stop because those are great numbers.

I'm just saying that's what I expect. They tried for him last offseason and, according to Mike Giardi, tried hard to trade for him near the trade deadline. For whatever reason (I think it's his sick 6.64 three cone time) they seem to really like him and I'll be surprised if he's not here next year - very possibly by tonight.

No arguments. You're probably right, actually. It's just my personal preference when it comes to Jones over Sanders.

I think Dobson can be a solid receiver, he had a good rookie season dealing with some injuries, missing games and with a tremendous pressure since week 2, it's not easy to face that.

But I agree we should address the WR position in the FA. You can't expect to win a championship with only slot receivers and a deep pass here and there.

Brady does his magic operating in the slot and with TE's over the middle, he doesn't even need training for that, he can do sleeping, but he and McDaniels need to give some emphasis on the outside, 20+ yards plays. You don't necessarily need to go Flacco, but moving the chains from 10 to 10 yards is tough. Sometimes you need to keep defenses honest against the pass, specially on the playoffs.

I think Dobson can be a solid receiver, he had a good rookie season dealing with some injuries, missing games and with a tremendous pressure since week 2, it's not easy to face that.

But I agree we should address the WR position in the FA. You can't expect to win a championship with only slot receivers and a deep pass here and there.

Brady does his magic operating in the slot and with TE's over the middle, he doesn't even need training for that, he can do sleeping, but he and McDaniels need to give some emphasis on the outside, 20+ yards plays. You don't necessarily need to go Flacco, but moving the chains from 10 to 10 yards is tough. Sometimes you need to keep defenses honest against the pass, specially on the playoffs.

I have said it before and I will say it again, deep passing is overrated. The Broncos had the best offense in NFL history and Manning couldn't complete more than 8 passes all season for over 30 yards (and only 18 from 21-30 yards and he had 450 completions). They did it without a deep threat because Manning can't throw deep anymore.

What the Pats need at WR are outside threats. That is what Manning had. D. Thomas and Decker kept defenses from flooding the center of the field which opened up passes for J Thomas and Welker. The Pats have Dobson on one side, but they need another outside threat on the other. Maybe Thompkins makes that jump or they sign or draft someone.

I have said it before and I will say it again, deep passing is overrated. The Broncos had the best offense in NFL history and Manning couldn't complete more than 8 passes all season for over 30 yards (and only 18 from 21-30 yards and he had 450 completions). They did it without a deep threat because Manning can't throw deep anymore.

What the Pats need at WR are outside threats. That is what Manning had. D. Thomas and Decker kept defenses from flooding the center of the field which opened up passes for J Thomas and Welker. The Pats have Dobson on one side, but they need another outside threat on the other. Maybe Thompkins makes that jump or they sign or draft someone.

I agree with you but you're taking 1 season as a sample size, and the Broncos had an unique set of receivers and Manning to manage the game. We could even question their schedule, but I'm not going that far.

If you look their playoff performance, they played against a pretender Chargers who started to play in the 4th quarter and almost got back to the game. Then the Patriots unable to do anything and they scored only 26 points when everybody said that they would need to score in the 30's to beat the Pats. I'm not going to mention the blood bath in the SB.

I keep my opinion that unless you have a Seahawks defense, your offense are gonna need to compensate for your defense sometimes, that's what we have been missing offensively because it's tough to score on the playoffs having to walk over 100 yards if you intend to do it in baby steps.

I don't get the love affair with E. Sanders I hope BB doesn't look his way... he has done NOTHING in this League worth noting. James Jones look like a under the radar guy on the up, Jones has improved every year.

I don't get the love affair with E. Sanders I hope BB doesn't look his way... he has done NOTHING in this League worth noting. James Jones look like a under the radar guy on the up, Jones has improved every year.

Yet you want Santonio Holmes? Have you looked at his last few years? By the way the pats disagree with your assessment on Sanders. Come on it's free agency and we are all excited but you're all over the map.

No arguments. You're probably right, actually. It's just my personal preference when it comes to Jones over Sanders.

Cousins, I know I am going to sound like "Jack" but I see a serious Team issue here. Thought about this before and mentioned it.
Every one of our WR including Mark Harrison "who had a.........foot problem, besides being a cement head for putting poopoo on the walls of the Crowne Plaza at the Combine that some poor slob who was not in-line to make millions, had to clean up, and then not (shock!!!) being Drafted", seems to have medicals. Both Jones and Sanders have at the least stayed fairly clear of major incidents so check that box.

The Troy Browns and the Randy Moss' and even Welker were fairly durable (Welker last game ACL).

Here is the score card;
Edleman-Foot but will he be durable again this year after we pay him?
Amandola-(emergency room frequently flyer award)
Dobson-Foot and other stuff
Boyce-Foot
Thompkins-Hip
Collie (interestingly enough. Stayed healthy here)

Cousins, for me not just one but two WR need to be added.

Some clown on a radio talk show the other day said that the Pats have had no success in FA. I expect he is right if you are set up to fail. When was the last upper tier FA that BB signed from another Team?
Bill always chooses second or third tier dudes or older FAs in their last hoorah and then...wait........they make no impact.

First Tier signings were like Adalius Thomas (who actually played well his first year and a half) but BB got slammed for that signing.

Another was Roosevelt Coleman. Pretty good player for us and health issues cut his future time.

Rodney Harrison was a fist tier although some thought he was on the "last hoorah" list.

How do you rate Larry Izzo? Vrable? Patton? Bodden had one great year than injuries nailed him. Probabaly second tier with a plus.

Why would we shy away from taking a shot?

Some here that rotted were second tier "last hoorah" dudes like Galloway, Jenkins and con artists like Jonathan Fakerooneenee.

Guys who have been o.k. pick ups on our Team now as FAs are Kelly, Hooman, Connelly and you have to include Chris Jones and Siliga and the mystery man DT/DE who might not even be a real person (has anybody seen this guy in real life) Armstead.

Other guys like Haynesworth, Ocho Cinco were not FAs but were actually trades as in "let's see how it works".

My point is if you look at the first tier FA pick ups they have actually signed, they really aren't too bad. So why does BB still burn on those signings? I say get back on the horse. We need WR now. Don't even try Drafting a WR. Just not the Pats strong suit.

Lets get one of these guys:

James Jones would be good
Sanders has been on our list before
Nicks (could be a typical BB revival story)
Sdiney Rice (best upside of all and only 27. See Nicks)
Decker (Josh knows him. How much does he want?)
Kenny Britt (Rutgers! Cement head like Harrison, but without poopoo. See Nicks )

Then one of these:

Second Tier:
Nate Burleson-Productive and good locker room dude
Jacoby Jones Brings KR advantages and caught 37 passes in back up role. At 6'2" is taller than anyone on our present roster that does not sling poopoo. Should be cheaper ( second tire BB type favorite)
Sanantonio Holmes-yes I said it. When Healthy he is pretty good (see present Pats injury prone WR corps)
Golden Tate? I don't know. A slot guy.

Here is an interesting thought? Would you give up a second Rounder for WR Doug Baldwin (second round tender) who had almost 16 yards per catch and 50 receptions with 6 TDs from a QB who was not TB? The money required is $2.187mm and he is pissed. He is only 25. He is 5'10" like Edelman and Sanders but is more of an outside guy like Sanders.

We played that game with Sanders and cheaped it out last year. Is there a better player in the second round this year than Baldwin? Throw double that and see. The Seahawks just spent big bucks on Bennett. They have Sherman and Russell Wilson coming up in 2015 and they have big bucks in Harvin.

My best thought is to pry the talented Justin Blackmon from the Jags who need a RB.......Ridley? Talib got straight. Dillion, Moss etc. Why not? Chris Cater became a Hall of Famer after he gave up alcohol.

DW Toys

Sanantonio Holmes-yes I said it. When Healthy he is pretty good (see present Pats injury prone WR corps)
DW Toys

I thought I was the only crazy guy around here thats the same way I feel about Holmes.;):bricks:

Another was Roosevelt Coleman. Pretty good player for us and health issues cut his future time.

DW Toys

Now you're making stuff up. We never had such a FA player.

Well that's a bummer. If anyone could have really used offseason time to work with Brady, it was him.

Cousins, I know I am going to sound like "Jack" but I see a serious Team issue here. Thought about this before and mentioned it.
Every one of our WR including Mark Harrison "who had a.........foot problem, besides being a cement head for putting poopoo on the walls of the Crowne Plaza at the Combine that some poor slob who was not in-line to make millions, had to clean up, and then not (shock!!!) being Drafted", seems to have medicals. Both Jones and Sanders have at the least stayed fairly clear of major incidents so check that box.

The Troy Browns and the Randy Moss' and even Welker were fairly durable (Welker last game ACL).

Here is the score card;
Edleman-Foot but will he be durable again this year after we pay him?
Amandola-(emergency room frequently flyer award)
Dobson-Foot and other stuff
Boyce-Foot
Thompkins-Hip
Collie (interestingly enough. Stayed healthy here)

Cousins, for me not just one but two WR need to be added.

Some clown on a radio talk show the other day said that the Pats have had no success in FA. I expect he is right if you are set up to fail. When was the last upper tier FA that BB signed from another Team?
Bill always chooses second or third tier dudes or older FAs in their last hoorah and then...wait........they make no impact.

First Tier signings were like Adalius Thomas (who actually played well his first year and a half) but BB got slammed for that signing.

Rodney Harrison was a fist tier although some thought he was on the "last hoorah" list.

How do you rate Larry Izzo? Vrable? Patton? Bodden had one great year than injuries nailed him. Probabaly second tier with a plus.

Why would we shy away from taking a shot?

Some here that rotted were second tier "last hoorah" dudes like Galloway, Jenkins and con artists like Jonathan Fakerooneenee.

Guys who have been o.k. pick ups on our Team now as FAs are Kelly, Hooman, Connelly and you have to include Chris Jones and Siliga and the mystery man DT/DE who might not even be a real person (has anybody seen this guy in real life) Armstead.

Other guys like Haynesworth, Ocho Cinco were not FAs but were actually trades as in "let's see how it works".

My point is if you look at the first tier FA pick ups they have actually signed, they really aren't too bad. So why does BB still burn on those signings? I say get back on the horse. We need WR now. Don't even try Drafting a WR. Just not the Pats strong suit.

Lets get one of these guys:

James Jones would be good
Sanders has been on our list before
Nicks (could be a typical BB revival story)
Sdiney Rice (best upside of all and only 27. See Nicks)
Decker (Josh knows him. How much does he want?)
Kenny Britt (Rutgers! Cement head like Harrison, but without poopoo. See Nicks )

Then one of these:

Second Tier:
Nate Burleson-Productive and good locker room dude
Jacoby Jones Brings KR advantages and caught 37 passes in back up role. At 6'2" is taller than anyone on our present roster that does not sling poopoo. Should be cheaper ( second tire BB type favorite)
Golden Tate? I don't know. A slot guy.

Here is an interesting thought? Would you give up a second Rounder for WR Doug Baldwin (second round tender) who had almost 16 yards per catch and 50 receptions with 6 TDs from a QB who was not TB? The money required is $2.187mm and he is pissed. He is only 25. He is 5'10" like Edelman and Sanders but is more of an outside guy like Sanders.

We played that game with Sanders and cheaped it out last year. Is there a better player in the second round this year than Baldwin? Throw double that and see. The Seahawks just spent big bucks on Bennett. They have Sherman and Russell Wilson coming up in 2015 and they have big bucks in Harvin.

My best thought is to pry the talented Justin Blackmon from the Jags who need a RB.......Ridley? Talib got straight. Dillion, Moss etc. Why not? Chris Cater became a Hall of Famer after he gave up alcohol.

DW Toys

Sanders has recurring foot issues too. If the Pats signed him (or had signed him last year), the same people that complain about every other signing would be complaining about that one too, probably.

Steelers lose Emmanuel Sanders to foot injury | ProFootballTalk

Emmanuel Sanders To Miss Next 3 Weeks Because Of Foot Problem | Steelers Depot

Report: Mike Tomlin Worried About Ability Of Emmanuel Sanders & Willie Colon To Stay Healthy | Steelers Depot

Well that's a bummer. If anyone could have really used offseason time to work with Brady, it was him.
I'd say Boyce actually fits that definition better. Brady and Dobson were working well enough together that a full training camp should be fine. Boyce is the one who I hope comes back as a different player because the physical tools are there big time.

Sanders has recurring foot issues too. If the Pats signed him (or had signed him last year), the same people that complain about every other signing would be complaining about that one too, probably.

Steelers lose Emmanuel Sanders to foot injury | ProFootballTalk

Emmanuel Sanders To Miss Next 3 Weeks Because Of Foot Problem | Steelers Depot

Report: Mike Tomlin Worried About Ability Of Emmanuel Sanders & Willie Colon To Stay Healthy | Steelers Depot

I hope some other Team not named the N.E. Patriots hurry-up and sign Emmanuel Sanders. I have have a bad feeling about him in our Offense.

I agree with you but you're taking 1 season as a sample size, and the Broncos had an unique set of receivers and Manning to manage the game. We could even question their schedule, but I'm not going that far.

If you look their playoff performance, they played against a pretender Chargers who started to play in the 4th quarter and almost got back to the game. Then the Patriots unable to do anything and they scored only 26 points when everybody said that they would need to score in the 30's to beat the Pats. I'm not going to mention the blood bath in the SB.

I keep my opinion that unless you have a Seahawks defense, your offense are gonna need to compensate for your defense sometimes, that's what we have been missing offensively because it's tough to score on the playoffs having to walk over 100 yards if you intend to do it in baby steps.

The 2012 Patriots which also was one of the best offenses of all time without a real deep threat also supports my point.

I don't know how you can talk about an one year sample size and turn around and give me a fourth quarter sample size to counter my argument. The Chargers started to throw deep because DRC went out and they could abuse Champ Bailey deep because he is old and slow. Not an indication that a deep threat is essential in the playoffs. It is only essential if they have an ancient back up who is old and slow covering your best WR.

I would HAVE to think this influences the Pat's FA/Drafting strategy. I'd assume some mid-level FA WR's get signed +hopefully Edelman. I'm not writing Dobson off mind you, it's just the 3 months are huge for him to be off his foot and missing some major things (Brady passing camp, mini camps in May and June).

The 2012 Patriots which also was one of the best offenses of all time without a real deep threat also supports my point.

I don't know how you can talk about an one year sample size and turn around and give me a fourth quarter sample size to counter my argument. The Chargers started to throw deep because DRC went out and they could abuse Champ Bailey deep because he is old and slow. Not an indication that a deep threat is essential in the playoffs. It is only essential if they have an ancient back up who is old and slow covering your best WR.

I'm not using the Chargers 4th quarter to counter your argument, I was using to illustrate that the Broncos had not only a smooth schedule but also an easy going SB run. They basically played 2 games without a single threat from the opponent.

The 2012 Pats also supports my point that when you have to move the ball in a playoff match against a defense like Baltimore's you're totally f0cked if you only have slot receivers and no physicality in your offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST