PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jeff Demps and a 7th round pick traded to Bucs for RB LeGarrette Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blount was RFA and signed a 1 year deal in March -$150K workout bonus, $350K for reporting to training camp bonus. So if the Pats let him in the doors at camp they will on the hook for $500K.

Blount was a terror in college, he ripped up the Pac-10. Unfortunately he was the same after the whistle blew - he punched a defender on the field. He had some anger issues off the field too. He was 2nd round talent at worst but had become so toxic he wasn't touched during his draft. He performed well in Tampa but he wasn't Schiano's guy having been drafted before he got there. Certainly Doug Martin is more versatile than Blount but Blount just dropped off the face of the earth this year and like Talib was handed to the Pats for BB to rehabilitate.

It's interesting to ask why BB would want a guy that Schiano, a BB confidant and someone BB helped land an NFL job, didn't have any use for?

4.6 YPC NFL career average is nothing to sniff at. BJGE got $9m from the Bengals for less than 4yds/carry.

Brandon Bolden better get his ***** together because Blount is the same kind of back but faster.

Blount will have a few TDs this year is my guess. Crowded backfield now!

Blount is now the most expensive RB on the Patriots roster.

He has a base salary of $1,250,000, a workout bonus of $150K, and a roster bonus of $500K. His cap charge is $1,750,000, putting him around the top 20 in cap charges - but nowhere near one of the 20 most important players.

He will cost about four times as much as Brandon Bolden. Further, unless there is an injury to Ridley, Bolden, or Vareen, he would be the fifth RB (assume Washington, as a different type, would be replaced by someone similar if injured.) That likely edges out a FB slot, given the need for depth at WR (due to inexperience) and TE (injury).

He'll have to earn that spot in training camp. If he doesn't make the roster, that's a savings of $1.6mm - about the most attractive cap savings for any player. (Daniel Fells is next in line.) Given the concerns about his character and performance slide, he'll need to be pushing the pile and toeing the line.

basically what you are saying is we paid to get rid of demps.

So long Jeff Demps....so much for all of the "he's basically an extra draft pick this year" crap everyone around here was spewing.

He is and was. He resulted in acquiring a 1000 yd NFL rusher, a big back which they need, who is only in his mid-20s. He completes the RB Committee. What's not to like?:confused:

Blount would have been one of the top RBs chosen this year if he wasn't such a punk. Not only did he once throw a punch at an opposing player before a game, he also threw a punch at one of his coaches on the sidelines.

It was after the game--not before--and on national television. I never heard the report of the punch of a coach. It must have happened in Tampa. He is a punk.

This is likely just a trade to see what happens kind of like when we traded somebody for Sullivan out of New Orleans to see if either club can salvage anything. Sullivan was cut quickly and made zero impact. I don't even remember what receiver we sent south. Was it PK Sam?

this guy's gonna be great 4 us

It was after the game--not before--and on national television. I never heard the report of the punch of a coach. It must have happened in Tampa. He is a punk.

This is likely just a trade to see what happens kind of like when we traded somebody for Sullivan out of New Orleans to see if either club can salvage anything. Sullivan was cut quickly and made zero impact. I don't even remember what receiver we sent south. Was it PK Sam?

Bethel Johnson.

Re: LaGarrette Blount

LaGarrette Blount being in the fold is going to make Brandon Bolden work even harder in the offseason for his roster spot. Like to see some spirited competition for the bruiser back.

That's how I see it, too. Between Blount and Bolden, one of them is going to earn the job. There's value in making a guy earn his job. If his head's on even remotely straight, I expect Blount to win out. Purely as a runner, he has more talent than any of the RBs currently on the roster.

Blount is now the most expensive RB on the Patriots roster.

He has a base salary of $1,250,000, a workout bonus of $150K, and a roster bonus of $500K. His cap charge is $1,750,000, putting him around the top 20 in cap charges - but nowhere near one of the 20 most important players.

He will cost about four times as much as Brandon Bolden. Further, unless there is an injury to Ridley, Bolden, or Vareen, he would be the fifth RB (assume Washington, as a different type, would be replaced by someone similar if injured.) That likely edges out a FB slot, given the need for depth at WR (due to inexperience) and TE (injury).

He'll have to earn that spot in training camp. If he doesn't make the roster, that's a savings of $1.6m - about the most attractive cap savings for any player. (Daniel Fells is next in line.) Given the concerns about his character and performance slide, he'll need to be pushing the pile and toeing the line.

Thank you for outlining this. I looked around for his contract figures but kept finding his long term deal and wasn't sure what was left. For a relatively young veteran who has had a 1,000 yard rushing season, and who hasn't played much in the last year, $1.6 million is not that big a contract (compared to a contract like Ochocinco's.)

And, there's basically no risk if he doesn't stand out this summer and in the preseason. I like this a lot - he's a tough back. He doesn't stutter step or anything - he basically heads straight for the linebacker and says, "Let's dance." I also like the screen plays - he can catch the ball and punish DBs who elect to get in his way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFXeMucxaw

If he takes advantage of this opportunity, a rotation of Ridley, Vereen, Blount and Bolden is deep, has nice change of pace, and can keep fresh legs in the game for all four quarters. No geezers like past attempts at RB depth is huge.

Thank you for outlining this. I looked around for his contract figures but kept finding his long term deal and wasn't sure what was left. For a relatively young veteran who has had a 1,000 yard rushing season, and who hasn't played much in the last year, $1.6 million is not that big a contract (compared to a contract like Ochocinco's.)

And, there's basically no risk if he doesn't stand out this summer and in the preseason. I like this a lot - he's a tough back. He doesn't stutter step or anything - he basically heads straight for the linebacker and says, "Let's dance." I also like the screen plays - he can catch the ball and punish DBs who elect to get in his way. 2011 LeGarrette Blount Highlights - YouTube

If he takes advantage of this opportunity, a rotation of Ridley, Vereen, Blount and Bolden is deep, has nice change of pace, and can keep fresh legs in the game for all four quarters. No geezers like past attempts at RB depth is huge.

Y'all keep forgetting Leon....and I'm starting to think we carry only 4 backs this season, not 5

7th rounder for the guy. could work out well or maybe not. Little risk for the Pats.

We've been making the comparison to Haynesworth and Corey Dillon in this thread. I think the key difference between those two players was that one showed up in game-shape in Corey Dillon and one did not in Haynesworth. With Big Al, had he been in good shape, he may have worked out well with the team. But he was traded very late in the team-building process, and I'm guessing did not have the time to re-condition himself after being sent to a new team. Shanny already had burned bridges with Al and Haynesworth probably didn't care to prepare for the season when he was playing for a team that didn't want him anymore.

Blount is entering a contract year. The one thing that these guys all understand, no matter how smart or dumb, is the almighty green. With Martin out-performing and replacing him, hopefully he's been motivated to get into top shape and get his head in the game. And at least he'll have more time to get into better shape before TC begins, knowing that he's in a new environment.

We heard a similar story with Talib (albeit with differences) and he turned into a good citizen with the Pats. BB will lay it out there for him and will either sink or swim.

Let's root for him to swim.

He is and was. He resulted in acquiring a 1000 yd NFL rusher, a big back which they need, who is only in his mid-20s. He completes the RB Committee. What's not to like?:confused:

Other than his salary & his personality, not too much.

I feel that it's either Blount or Bolden. There's no room here for both; and if there were, I'd still
rather have a run-blocking or pass-catching FB plus either Blount or Bolden instead of both Blount
and Bolden but no FB of any type.

Obviously they are very different types of backs, but something to consider:

LaGarrette Blount
One year contract for $1,750,000
Signing bonus: zero
Guaranteed amount: zero
2013 base salary: $1,250,000 (not guaranteed)
Roster bonus: $500,000
Cap figure if on team: $1,750,000
Cap charge if cut: zero

Danny Woodhead
Two year contract for $3,500,000
Signing bonus: $1,000,000
Average value: $1,750,000
Guaranteed amount: $1,000,000
2013 base salary: $750,000 (not guaranteed)
Roster bonus: zero
Cap figure if on team: $1,250,000
Cap charge if cut: $1,000,000

You mean we traded a 7th rounder for Blount and threw in Demps.

Obviously they are very different types of backs, but something to consider:

LaGarrette Blount
One year contract for $1,750,000
Signing bonus: zero
Guaranteed amount: zero
2013 base salary: $1,250,000 (not guaranteed)
Roster bonus: $500,000
Cap figure if on team: $1,750,000
Cap charge if cut: zero

Danny Woodhead
Two year contract for $3,500,000
Signing bonus: $1,000,000
Average value: $1,750,000
Guaranteed amount: $1,000,000
2013 base salary: $750,000 (not guaranteed)
Roster bonus: zero
Cap figure if on team: $1,250,000
Cap charge if cut: $1,000,000

I would have liked Woodhead to return. He is a dynamic player who played hard for the Pats. The Pats will miss him this year.

Blount is not a substitute. Don't think the Pats need him. I would have preferred to squat on Demps' contract until he got over his track fetish. The Pats did just that with Brian Waters contract last year.

You mean we traded a 7th rounder for Blount and threw in Demps.

Tampa was going to cut Blount. Even Kelly, his Oregon coach, now at the Eagles didn't want him for a 7th rounder. BB should have made it a straight exchange: Demps for Blount without a 7th round pick thrown in. Or simply waited for Tampa to cut Blount....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back