PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Whitlock writes one of the worst articles I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that point - (and nothing to do with the article), I think Ravens and Steelers fans both make the mistake of assuming biased officiating when in fact what has happened is a long-term shift in the rules (as well as their interpretation and enforcement) to favor offenses. The burden is on teams like the Ravens and Steelers to adapt, it is not a question of "bias." But yeah, I like old-school football and it is sad to me to see some of the changes the league has made to favor big-play offenses.

You DO know WHO was the target of the original rules changes, right?

I'll give you a hint, the author was Bill Polian.

Smart franchises ADAPT.

On that point - (and nothing to do with the article), I think Ravens and Steelers fans both make the mistake of assuming biased officiating when in fact what has happened is a long-term shift in the rules (as well as their interpretation and enforcement) to favor offenses. The burden is on teams like the Ravens and Steelers to adapt, it is not a question of "bias." But yeah, I like old-school football and it is sad to me to see some of the changes the league has made to favor big-play offenses.

Hey, I hear ya, especially since a lot of those "points of emphasis" were rammed through by Bill Polian in direct response to Patriot victories over the Colts. The shift in rules and enforcement to favor offenses has cost the Patriots a Super Bowl (2006), and I agree that it's a shame. I am in favor of some of the player safety rules, but for the most part I prefer the old NFL too.

I've yet to come across a non-Urban Dictionary definition of thug that mentioned a race other than "Indian."

I've yet to come across a non-Urban Dictionary definition of thug that mentioned a race other than "Indian."

I've come across many people in my life whom I'd characterize as "thugs" and they're all white.

Ravens-Patriots is ultimate culture clash - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

In this article, Whitlock paints the Pats as the bad guys in this, cites officiating being in the Pats favor as the reason for Baltimore's regular season losses, drudges up Spygate, and plays the race card. Happy hunting!

I ask 3 questions:

1. Has he ever written a good article?
2. Has he ever written an article that didn't bring up race?
3. Has he ever written an article that could even remotely be considered pro Patriots?

I've come across many people in my life whom I'd characterize as "thugs" and they're all white.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out. Outside of a couple of obvious ones, I really don't know how a word that has been used to describe a bully, criminal etc...for over a century can suddenly be owned by a race and considered racist.

Whitey Bulger was a thug. Al Capone was a thug. Sammy "the Bull" Gravano was a thug. :cool:

Hey, I hear ya, especially since a lot of those "points of emphasis" were rammed through by Bill Polian in direct response to Patriot victories over the Colts. The shift in rules and enforcement to favor offenses has cost the Patriots a Super Bowl (2006), and I agree that it's a shame. I am in favor of some of the player safety rules, but for the most part I prefer the old NFL too.

Ya know one of the changes I really don't get is the rule about contact with the receiver going downfield. Back in the day, you'd see a corner and a wideout jockeying for position all day, all over the field. Now, you see a lot more players in the secondary trying to time the arrival of the ball and lay the wood on the receiver instead of just hanging with him, you know, lay back in a zone and get there at just the right time. Call me crazy, but doesn't that rule put the receiver in MORE danger than letting the defender jockey with the receiver past the 5 yard line?

Here are the cliff notes highlighting the good parts of that piece by Jason "Stooge" Whitlock...

I just actually read the article.

It was a pretty good article.

It said nothing bad about the Patriots, and the reference to SpyGate was more playful and about perception.

I question the reading comprehension of most people read this and found it to be anything other than entertaining. He is exactly right- the Ravens and Patriots are a complete culture clash.

he is trying to use the race card to get people to read his articles..else ....he would be a nobody ...well ....maybe he has done that ..he is a nobody :)

A Whitlock article that has racial overtones? Nah....it can't be.

not saying i appreciate the divisive talk in this article but to an extent he has a point. most of NE's stars are white, Baltimore's are black. Boston is perceived among many members of black America to be a bit of a racist city when it comes to sports, Baltimore is 2/3 black. (Sox were the last team in baseball to allow black players, etc). I do see shades of Magic/Bird here....which incidentally wasn't a bad dynamic, sports has in many ways been an arena where America confronts issues of race, often in my opinion to good effect. If we're looking at strength vs. strength in this game, NE's O vs Balt's D, there is a subtext and culture clash whether you want to admit it or not. I've had this thought this week even before reading this article.

Fact is a lot of the people on this board have been calling Baltimore's players "thugs" all week....I see where that comes in with Ray Lewis, but when it comes to Suggs its a pretty racially charged term that I've found a little sketchy.

I don't like Whitlock and him dredging up spygate is pretty irritating, but I don't find this article to be as outrageous as some of you.

You do realize that there is nothing racist about the New England region, don't you 'ol Grizz?

Now I'm not one to adhere to political correctness in any aspect of my life and I take great pride in that. If I can call a white guy a thug, I can just as easily call a black guy a thug (and I do) without worrrying about....wait..... "What people think" ...there, I said it.

I have found that people who worry about what others think are never comfortable with themselves. Maybe that's just me...

Last edited:
It's funny how Whitlock has it as Brady vs Lewis. I get it, two legends but the truth to the matter is Brady is still playing at a very high level, Lewis best days are behind him. He looks old and slow out there on the field. If the Ravens want to make a huge impact in their favor on the D side of the ball for this game they will take Lewis out on 3rd downs. This game just may very well end up showing Lewis and the Ravens that Lewis is now too old and slow for his position.

As for the racism of this article. How sad that an African-American man feels the need to turn something that isn't racist into something that is. I imagine the end of racism would be much closer if not for people like Jason Whitlock laying down the race card every chance he can. I would be ashamed of this article if I was an African-American.

I just actually read the article.

It was a pretty good article.

It said nothing bad about the Patriots, and the reference to SpyGate was more playful and about perception.

I question the reading comprehension of most people read this and found it to be anything other than entertaining. He is exactly right- the Ravens and Patriots are a complete culture clash.

Except only racists notice when one team is mostly black and another mostly white....even if that observation is dead wrong.

Now I liked the Bird vs. Magic thing...but it has nada to do with the upcoming Pats/Ravens game, does it?

You DO know WHO was the target of the original rules changes, right?

I'll give you a hint, the author was Bill Polian.

Smart franchises ADAPT.

Yep, because our defenses were physically dominating his "vaunted" offenses in the early 2000s.

I remember that, too funny.

My favorite part of the race schtick is that 13 of our 22 starters and 32 of the 53 men on the active roster are African American.

Well...if Ray Lewis is Avon Barksdale and Ed Reed is Stringer and Suggs is Weebey then Belichick must be Marlo, Brady is Partlow and Welk/Gronk/AH combine for the cold blooded killer that is Snoop.

Indeed...can't think of a better analogy Mr.Whitlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand