PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Whitlock writes one of the worst articles I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just actually read the article.

It was a pretty good article.

It said nothing bad about the Patriots, and the reference to SpyGate was more playful and about perception.

I question the reading comprehension of most people read this and found it to be anything other than entertaining. He is exactly right- the Ravens and Patriots are a complete culture clash.

Not nearly as complete as you apparently think. Bill gave Ozzie his start as a scout and then as a special assistant to the HC for pro personnel. Taught him to scout players for a system and taught him the value of a system. That's why Baltimore doesn't use a national service, either. Set him up in Baltimore too with an extra first round pick in his first draft following the move. That pick is named Ray Lewis. Ozzie is a little more talent centric than Bill, probably because he played and because he can't coach 'em personally because of the FO career path he chose to persue. That said, he is a stickler for effort because that can't be coached. They let 'em talk a little more, although they seem to have put a bit of a lid on that of late. Ozzie was smart enough to know you can learn from the master but simply imitating him is folly.

not saying i appreciate the divisive talk in this article but to an extent he has a point. most of NE's stars are white, Baltimore's are black. Boston is perceived among many members of black America to be a bit of a racist city when it comes to sports, Baltimore is 2/3 black. (Sox were the last team in baseball to allow black players, etc). I do see shades of Magic/Bird here....which incidentally wasn't a bad dynamic, sports has in many ways been an arena where America confronts issues of race, often in my opinion to good effect. If we're looking at strength vs. strength in this game, NE's O vs Balt's D, there is a subtext and culture clash whether you want to admit it or not. I've had this thought this week even before reading this article.

Fact is a lot of the people on this board have been calling Baltimore's players "thugs" all week....I see where that comes in with Ray Lewis, but when it comes to Suggs its a pretty racially charged term that I've found a little sketchy.

I don't like Whitlock and him dredging up spygate is pretty irritating, but I don't find this article to be as outrageous as some of you.

suggs is NOT a thug? are you serious? the guy is ALL thug

and the thug image has nothing to do with race, NO ONE on the patriots is a thug, b/c they are BB coached, and act accordingly, whether black or white

(btw, Whitlock, if you're gonna call blacks african-americans, call whites caucasians, otherwise YOUR true colors come out, sounds like a racist sob)

People call suggs a thug because it rhymes. And he acts like a thug. His color doesn't have nothing to do with it, though, I have to admit. Calling him a gangbanger it would be more gratuitious. So 'thug' it is.

I feel like Whitlock has earned the nickname, "21st Century Minstrel Show"

Whitlock sees race in everything. It is written into his DNA. It is part of his excuse-o-meter...

No mention of that, yeah but it is all about race....

Exactly. The only racist around appears to be Whitlock. I was very happy when ESPN banned him because he was by far my least favorite guest on the Sports Reporters. He sees everything as black or white - and whenever he doesn't like something (for whatever reason) he claims it is racist. What a joke.

The rest of the points in his article that I perused (but didn't bother reading the entire piece because what I did look at was pure garbage) were equally ridiculous. When you can't write knowledgeably about something (and there's a lot of knowledgeable things that could be written about this week's matchup), then he just spews forth idiotic comments. He hasn't changed in years.

I just actually read the article.

It was a pretty good article.

It said nothing bad about the Patriots, and the reference to SpyGate was more playful and about perception.

I question the reading comprehension of most people read this and found it to be anything other than entertaining. He is exactly right- the Ravens and Patriots are a complete culture clash.

I feel sorry for you if that article is within your definition of good journalism. Lies, half-truths and bias oozing out doesn't quite cut it in my book.

Jason Whitlock's job is not to write intelligent columns. His job is to garner hits for his online column and attention to his pieces. So it seems to me he knows exactly what he was doing when he wrote this particular column.

By the way, this column is not journalism. It's an opinion piece. There's a difference, and he is not beholden to jounalistic ethics when writing an opinion piece. He can be as biased as he wants since he is not reporting on events; he is giving his opinions. Don't get me wrong, he can't slander anyone or anything like that, but there is nothing unethical about making silly comparisons like saying Brady is like Don Draper.

Last edited:
I just actually read the article....

He is exactly right- the Ravens and Patriots are a complete culture clash.

But not because of race. Rather, because of style of play and emphasis on defense/offense.

Jason Whitlock's job is not to write intelligent columns. His job is to garner hits for his online column and attention to his pieces. So it seems to me he knows exactly what he was doing when he wrote this particular column.

By the way, this column is not journalism. It's an opinion piece. There's a difference, and he is not beholden to jounalistic ethics when writing an opinion piece. He can be as biased as he wants since he is not reporting on events; he is giving his opinions. Don't get me wrong, he can't slander anyone or anything like that, but there is nothing unethical about making silly comparisons like saying Brady is like Don Draper.

Oh, he's a journalist when it suits him to be. Columnists are merely agenda driven or opinionated journalists. That's always the heroic fallback excuse for why they do what they do. Award winning one at that. He just has situational journalistic ethics, which is something a lot of columnists seeking to make their mark these days develop and are more often than not lauded and awarded for as being envelope pushers... In his case though his personal bias is so transparent and oft times insulting it makes holding a job difficult despite the accolades...

He hates all things Belichick, including Pioli and the system. He knocked himself out setting Scott up to fail in the minds of KC faithful before the Star canned him. Although his successor there seems to have picked up the mantle.

Jason Whitlock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whitlock is a terrible person who used to verbally abuse employees under him at his former radio station job in an effort to control them. He told them weekly that management wanted to fire them and that he went to bat for them saving their jobs. They owed him. All lies.

Whitlock routinely sent the employees emails berating them as people and telling them they sucked at their jobs. Some couldnt take it any longer and left the station. Then Whitlock got fired for organizing a protest outside Carl Petersons condo and promoting it on the airwaves. He was told by management to stop, but refused thinking he was too big a celebrity to be fired. Big? Yes, he is fat and a racist.

All the truth all came out after they kicked his fat azz out.

Whitlock's racial argument can be separated into several pieces:

1. Is that how the Patriots see it? We can answer that with a "Hell, no!"

2. Is that how the Ravens see it? I'd also guess "No."

3. Is that how black fans see it? I'll duck that question.

4. Is that how white fans see it? Even if there's some element of that, he's greatly overstating the case. A few years ago, the Pats' receivers and RBs were mainly black, and the change to mainly white has not affected anybody's perception of the Pats that I've been able to detect.

Whitlock is the worst writer ever. Every article he writes it has to do with some sort of racism the dudes a certified clown.

Oh, he's a journalist when it suits him to be. Columnists are merely agenda driven or opinionated journalists. ...

He hates all things Belichick, including Pioli and the system. He knocked himself out setting Scott up to fail in the minds of KC faithful before the Star canned him. Although his successor there seems to have picked up the mantle.

Jason Whitlock - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I for one was shocked reading the Wiki page to find 2 instances where I agreed with Whitlock. He's still a tool and a fool though.

Don't get me wrong, he can't slander anyone or anything like that, but there is nothing unethical about making silly comparisons like saying Brady is like Don Draper.

a minor but important point,he can't LIBEL anyone...slander is spoken...libel written

the words "one" and "of" in the title are unnecessary.

Jason Whitlock's job is not to write intelligent columns.

Well, I guess that's a good thing because if it was he'd be failing miserably. Of course, I see the purpose of a columnist a little differently than others do. I guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

So it seems to me he knows exactly what he was doing when he wrote this particular column.

I don't think so. He's a guy with a huge racial problem that shows itself most every time he writes a column or talks on the radio. This was little different. He expresses his racial bias daily and will continue to do this the rest of his life because that's who he is. There's nothing more to it than that.

By the way, this column is not journalism.

Hey, I'm glad we're in agreement on this!

It's an opinion piece. There's a difference, and he is not beholden to jounalistic ethics when writing an opinion piece. He can be as biased as he wants since he is not reporting on events; he is giving his opinions.

That just makes it bad journalism in my opinion.

Listen, opinion pieces do make reference to the facts in the real world. His thinking of what the real world is like is demonstrably wrong and, at least in that sense, is bad journalism. Defining it as an "opinion" piece in no way lowers the standard of being accurate in your thoughts when those thoughts deal with facts. Many of this incorrect factual assumptions have already been discussed in this thread.

just another racist black guy playing the race card......

the larry bird versus magic comparison is perplexing

Since we have guys named Hernandez and Chung on the team......isn't it time to blast Baltimore for a complete lack of racial diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes