PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jason Pierre-Paul on getting to Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Jason Pierre-Paul's special glove be an advantage?
Akbar Gbaja-Biamila's older brother, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, was a Pro Bowl defensive end for the Packers. And during his career, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila had to wear a club on his hand while battling injuries, according to his brother.

That club allowed "KGB," as he was known, to attack lineman with more force than he otherwise would have been able to muster. Akbar Gbaja-Biamila thinks the same could be true for JPP.

"It almost worked as an advantage," Akbar Gbaja-Biamila said. "Because when you're doing that swiping down of the offensive lineman's (arms), you get extra cushion and extra padding. You don't have that bone-to-bone contact.

"If he's wearing any sort of padding around his hand, that could serve as an advantage to getting around an offensive lineman on the pass rush."

That would seem to be what one might call a "competitive advantage", no?

This is going to be another Blount game. Nyg run defense is terrible, as is their pass defense. But with the Pats oline in shambles I'm sure Belichick takes the path of best risk/reward.
I don't think you'll see a throw more than 10 yards in the air Sunday...if blount can run it could be a rough day

From my own, obviously biased, observation Brady/the offense will be stopped only by "getting to Brady". I'm not talking about 'see I said I would get 1 sack and I got one sack', I'm talking about a significant amount of hurries and hits throughout a majority of the game.
That opposing D will need to win that 'pressure' battle 2/3 or more of the game as well as their O gets the better of the Patriots D for over 1/2 the game for the Patriots to be in a position to likely lose. Anything outside of that will require the Patriots to make a number of unforced errors to assist the opposition.

Unlike many other teams the Patriots have extra targets who will win their one on one battles more often than not. When Gronk and even JE require extra attention, LaFell, DA and (IMHO - the hidden gem) Chandler are all capable of winning the one on one battle they are sure to see. And if Bolden or White can pick up just some of what Lewis was doing out of the backfield, (like what Bolden did already when Lewis went down against Washington), with the BY FAR best QB of 2015 the O simply is not going to be stifled over the span of 4 quarters. And if the opposing D leans heavily to pass D, Blount seems to become a downhill runner as the game goes on. Bottom line: the success of the Patriot O will be stopped only from the opposition winning the pressure game against our OL. Otherwise, barring a tipping point due to injuries, the Patriots are going to continue to dismiss most of their opponents.
We'll see what this O is really made of when we go to Denver. If we are able to do to them what we are doing to others? IMHO the SB is there for the taking as long as BB gets the whole team to play/execute as they normally do.

Giants had an amazing inside pass rush in 2011 ... not so anymore.

This just doesn't look too intimidating.

image.jpeg

I wouldn't be surprised if JPP gets a sack or has an impact play, but that's more due to our current state of the OL than anything.

One thing's for sure, and that is that they'll have their eye on him, and possibly even double him at times with TE help.

Could Jason Pierre-Paul's special glove be an advantage?

That would seem to be what one might call a "competitive advantage", no?

KGB's "club" gave him an advantage because it was a hard cast with padding inside (+I don't recall he might have still had use of fingers to grasp). Iremember other guys with casts as well, and they used them to hit OL in the head (politically concussion incorrect these days) in Addition to clubbing as part of their swipe moves.

JPP will be restricted in Grabbing or gaining leverage in the one hand, Not sure there is any net positive there.

If you were a defensive lineman in the NFL and DIDN'T think this way, you shouldn't be on the field. He didn't say anything I wouldn't expect. What did you expect. "Hey I know we have the worst sack numbers in the league, so here's hoping I get close a few times.." :rolleyes: I don't think so.

This might be the biggest test our pass defense has had since Pittsburgh, in terms of QB/receiver strength. It will be a good test to see how far it has come since then. However, assuming we manage to put together a representative OL this week, this isn't going to be much of a test to the offense. And this assumes that the OL situation will limit some of what the offense can do.

JPP dealing with Brady's snap count...

22342470103_6dbe0d84e7_o.jpg

Last edited:
KGB's "club" gave him an advantage because it was a hard cast with padding inside (+I don't recall he might have still had use of fingers to grasp). Iremember other guys with casts as well, and they used them to hit OL in the head (politically concussion incorrect these days) in Addition to clubbing as part of their swipe moves.

JPP will be restricted in Grabbing or gaining leverage in the one hand, Not sure there is any net positive there.

The Deacon Jones head-slap is no longer legal, but I guess he could aim lower.

That is totally wrong. Players miss Wednesday practice and come back all of the time. If they aren't practicing on Friday then they aren't playing.

Wednesday is game-plan installation day, so players missing Wed practices are pretty unlikely to play.

I'd imagine his upper-body strength would start to suffer. How is he going to lift?

People actually do heavy bench presses without using their thumbs (dangerous when you have all your fingers and thumbs, but possible) to grip the bar. With lifting straps or other 'assist' tools, I suspect he can lift all he needs to for the rest of his body.

None of that strength will really matter much if he lacks that part of his hand needed to lock on to and pull blockers away from their blocking direction. Even bull rushers are pushing and pulling blockers to keep them off balance and maintain leverage advantages. I expect speed rushers need that pulling ability even more in order to avoid locking up with blockers.

Bulletin board material, man what a **** for having confidence!

People actually do heavy bench presses without using their thumbs (dangerous when you have all your fingers and thumbs, but possible) to grip the bar. With lifting straps or other 'assist' tools, I suspect he can lift all he needs to for the rest of his body.

None of that strength will really matter much if he lacks that part of his hand needed to lock on to and pull blockers away from their blocking direction. Even bull rushers are pushing and pulling blockers to keep them off balance and maintain leverage advantages. I expect speed rushers need that pulling ability even more in order to avoid locking up with blockers.

Yeah, but he's not missing a thumb. He's missing an index finger and part of the middle finger (IIRC).

Greg Hardy is MUCH more explosive player than JPP, and we managed to take him out of the equation with a quick half-time adjustment.

Yeah, but he's not missing a thumb. He's missing an index finger and part of the middle finger (IIRC).

The picture in that link has the basic idea. The weight in pretty much any lift rests on the palm of the hand (he has that), and you don't need to squeeze the bar that much (three would be enough - even two to hold the bar to the palm of the hand with a spotter, and he has all the trainers one could need or pay for). With training straps, which essentially put the weight on the wrists rather than the grip, you don't need much grip force at all (one finger holds the strap to the bar and locks it in place).

I wouldn't see something like cleans (where you do need your entire grip and the palms are pointing down during movement) being a great exercise, but those are not essential for keeping muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back