PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jamie Cunningham...Beast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been good in the reps he got but am I the only one who thinks he failed to set the edge on run plays quite a few times?

I havent seen that, and remember the 43 DE is only contain on the weak side.

I havent seen that, and remember the 43 DE is only contain on the weak side.
I haven't seen it either. Don't know where some people are getting that from.

That wasn't what I was responding to.
And if you think Cunninghams rookie year is summed up by the number of sacks he had, you are ill-informed. First of all, he played in a rotation, playing much more in the base D than in sub. He played very well vs the run. He created decent and consistent pressure, despite a low sack total. He had a strong rookie season. You can't judge all players with a statsheet.

Again, excited as anyone that Jermaine Cunningham is emerging as a solid rotational DE.

But Andy, are you arguing that he should seriously be considered as a candidate for comeback player? I totally get the point that he was in a rotation as a rookie. He had 34 tackles and one sack, not bad for a rotational player in his rookie season - and also agree that you can't rate players only on stats. And yes, both Manning and Cunningham both faced injuries last season. But not really the high-water mark of players - whether stats or total contribution - typically considered as a comeback player.

I'm sort of hoping that he exceeds those numbers and continues to improve. I think a 'most improved' or 'breakthrough player' category is more relevant than 'comeback player of the year.'

As far as comeback player of the year, it's gotta be Peyton Manning. He missed the whole year and nobody even know if he was ever going to play football again. To come back at such a high level. Well if he takes the Broncos to the playoffs then I think he's got that award in the bag. Cunningham had a sophmore slump and some hidden injury maybe but his case is not nearly as dramatic or serious as Manning's story.

Hopefully JC continues to play well. We really need him to continue to step up for this defense to be successful.

He's been good in the reps he got but am I the only one who thinks he failed to set the edge on run plays quite a few times?

Yes , i noticed it too, that is also a reason when they pull a LB out they move Ninko back in there to set the edge. remember he is also playing more snaps with hightower injury.

Ninko is better at setting the edge ,pass rush and dropping in coverage. When donte comes back i expect him rotated a bit with Ninko and Love as the inside rusher again.

this thread is one of those he is 2nd rd and has to do good thing..i saw no ninko thread here lol.

Last edited:
Cunningham has proven to be a pretty solid player, when healthy. He's average at rushing the passer, and above average at setting the run, in my opinion. If you've seen him in person, you'd see that he is HUGE in terms of body mass and frame.

At LDE, while I like seeing Cunningham get some time there, Ninkovich (while undersized) has him beat in rush potential and containment. Not to mention, Cunningham's niche so far has been to line up at DT on 3rd down and attack. I think that should be his role going forward for this team. He can become the player Jonathan Fanene was supposed to be for us - a DE by all measurables, yet has the speed, strength, and frame to eat up blocks and blast through guards when he needs to as a DT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News