PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi vs JuJu

JuJu was at his best with Antonio Brown terrorizing DBs on the other side of the field. Remember AB was the best WR in the NFL 2013-2018 (so overlapping JuJu's first two seasons). JuJu played for Reid last season with Mahomes at quarterback and he wasn't really a great fit into that perfect situation. His numbers were just ok given the potential. By my estimation JuJu is not a WR1. He's a WR2 and probably not much better than Parker (who I like as a WR2 or 3). Adding Hopkins would slide each into their proper spot.

I like the optimism towards JuJu. I hope he shines this season.
Speaking of shine Juju would shine even brighter with D-Hop. :cool:
bright sun GIF

JuJu was at his best with Antonio Brown terrorizing DBs on the other side of the field. Remember AB was the best WR in the NFL 2013-2018 (so overlapping JuJu's first two seasons). JuJu played for Reid last season with Mahomes at quarterback and he wasn't really a great fit into that perfect situation. His numbers were just ok given the potential. By my estimation JuJu is not a WR1. He's a WR2 and probably not much better than Parker (who I like as a WR2 or 3). Adding Hopkins would slide each into their proper spot.
Juju = superior Parker = inferior.

Juju = superior Parker = inferior.
Not sure what you're saying here... looks like all equal parts so JuJu = inferior.

I think you're meaning to say JuJu is better than Parker. I wouldn't necessarily disagree but the gap isn't that wide.

I wonder if Meyers wrote his ticket out of town with that lateral.
Who called the friggin play? Not the lateral part necessarily, because you'd have to major ****up like Matt Patricia to make that call (so maybe?), but really calling anything there other than a kneel down (after they had determined Mac's arm wasn't strong enough for a hail mary from that spot). Bottom line, the head coach has to step in there and say we're kneeling down and going into OT. That was Todd Bowles level coaching at the end of that game... that's the main takeaway.

Not even close Juju get YAC unlike Meyers.
So yards at the point of catch is of less value than yards after? The result is the same. True, YAC ability can lead to some big plays.

My point was that on paper, the difference is not huge - 11 yards per catch is 11 yards per catch - whether it's 11 at the point of the catch and a tackle or a catch at 3 yards and 8 YAC.

The Patriots swapped near equal total production for higher potential. If, with the current roster, JuJu gets free / can take advantage of the "make the first guy miss" opportunities, awesome. Love it - especially if he can be put into a position to succeed like he did early in his career.

And it will piss off Pitt fans.

So yards at the point of catch is of less value than yards after? The result is the same. True, YAC ability can lead to some big plays.

My point was that on paper, the difference is not huge - 11 yards per catch is 11 yards per catch - whether it's 11 at the point of the catch and a tackle or a catch at 3 yards and 8 YAC.

The Patriots swapped near equal total production for higher potential. If, with the current roster, JuJu gets free / can take advantage of the "make the first guy miss" opportunities, awesome. Love it - especially if he can be put into a position to succeed like he did early in his career.

And it will piss off Pitt fans.
Yeah Juju would be so much better if we could get a #1 type Receiver you see how excellent he was with AB in years one and two. IF T Thornton or someone else becomes a threat Mac will be playing catch with Juju. The Defense can't cover everybody.:cool:

I wonder if Meyers wrote his ticket out of town with that lateral.
I don't know how you ask for a raise after that ****. What a ****ing idiot.

Not sure what you're saying here... looks like all equal parts so JuJu = inferior.

I think you're meaning to say JuJu is better than Parker. I wouldn't necessarily disagree but the gap isn't that wide.

Who called the friggin play? Not the lateral part necessarily, because you'd have to major ****up like Matt Patricia to make that call (so maybe?), but really calling anything there other than a kneel down (after they had determined Mac's arm wasn't strong enough for a hail mary from that spot). Bottom line, the head coach has to step in there and say we're kneeling down and going into OT. That was Todd Bowles level coaching at the end of that game... that's the main takeaway.
I don't mind letting Rham try to break a long one in that situation. Much better than the cowardly, coaching not to lose we saw with the Cowboys before the half kneeling Mac out with almost 2 minutes left, and in the GB game with Zappe.

You can't tell me BB hadn't made appropriate efforts to coach that sort of stupidity out of the players involved. Meyers had been here for years. There is no way Meyers was given leeway to launch a hail Mary type lateral to his QB in a tie game before OT at any point in his time here.

Gut tells me this is the right move as well. JuJu is more talented and better with YAC. I do think Meyers was a great team mate and worked his tail off… but JuJu also seems to say and do the right things.

I think Pats had a value assigned to meyers and it got too expensive. He’s a great possession receiver but there’s a ceiling on how much you can pay for that. Same reason Troy brown never got paid big bucks here…I think he’s a relevant patriots precedent. JuJu adds another dynamic to offense.
Absolutely agree, I like Jakobi and how he was undrafted, and worked his way to becoming a go to go for Brady, and definitely for Mac. Jakobi kind of reminds me of Brandon lafell.. a bit.

However juju is a YAC machine ultra physical and brings some championship pedigree to this offense.. at the WR position. I'm excited to see how everything works out in camp!

Juju is cheaper. Juju creates yards after the catch because Meyers is slow.

What’s the problem again?

Yeah Juju would be so much better if we could get a #1 type Receiver you see how excellent he was with AB in years one and two. IF T Thornton or someone else becomes a threat Mac will be playing catch with Juju. The Defense can't cover everybody.:cool:
I'd be happy if he's the beneficiary of clear-out routes. But, I do want to see Thornton break out.

It's going to be interesting - can't deny that.

I'd be happy if he's the beneficiary of clear-out routes. But, I do want to see Thornton break out.

It's going to be interesting - can't deny that.
Yeah TC especially for our WR's will be very intriguing...really like to see if D Douglas shiftiness translates and if K Boutte can show what he did his Freshman year in College. I think we have some Potential here I am really hoping T Thornton makes that second year jump. :cool:

I don't mind letting Rham try to break a long one in that situation. Much better than the cowardly, coaching not to lose we saw with the Cowboys before the half kneeling Mac out with almost 2 minutes left, and in the GB game with Zappe.

You can't tell me BB hadn't made appropriate efforts to coach that sort of stupidity out of the players involved. Meyers had been here for years. There is no way Meyers was given leeway to launch a hail Mary type lateral to his QB in a tie game before OT at any point in his time here.
Then the coaching-up failed. Either way it falls on coaching. And I like Rham but let's be honest he's not breaking a long TD run in that spot. The conservative approach we saw in those other games with minutes left is not at all the same as one very last play of a game. It's not complicated, the only call there was a kneel down, so it's on the coach(es). Jakobi made an ass of himself and Mac got humiliated by Chandler but neither player should been put in that spot.

You guys act as if the patriots somehow deserved Meyers. Perhaps the patriots offered what the raiders did and Meyers had little interest.

There were many teams who made offers, some perhaps offering more than he got from Vegas.

Meyers CHOSE the raiders. It is not at all clear that the patriots were in the competition.

It is NOT as if the patriot could simply have decided to keep Meyers. I suspect that Meyers went where he wanted to go, to an offense that he liked.

===========
As an aside, I agree that we are probably better off with Juju.

You guys act as if the patriots somehow deserved Meyers. Perhaps the patriots offered what the raiders did and Meyers had little interest.

There were many teams who made offers, some perhaps offering more than he got from Vegas.

Meyers CHOSE the raiders. It is not at all clear that the patriots were in the competition.

It is NOT as if the patriot could simply have decided to keep Meyers. I suspect that Meyers went where he wanted to go, to an offense that he liked.

===========
As an aside, I agree that we are probably better off with Juju.
Meyers tweet after we signed Juju seemed to indicate we either weren’t willing to match the raiders offer or there wasn’t an offer at all.

Meyers tweet after we signed Juju seemed to indicate we either weren’t willing to match the raiders offer or there wasn’t an offer at all.
Oh I'm betting on the latter and people wanted to give Meyers $20Mill in a weak WR FA class. :rolleyes: Really happy BB was shopping for the groceries.:)

So 134 first downs on 235 catches is bad? 57%.

JuJu is also at 57% - JuJu Smith-Schuster Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

JuJu has a slightly better catch rate (70.1% to Jakobi's 68.3%), and is way ahead in TD's (29 to 8 - although taking the last three years alone it is 12-8). Yards per catch is near identical (JJ - 11.9, JM - 11.7).

Upgrade? On paper it's not by much. How he interfaces with the scheme and other players will determine that.
Thank you. Stats don't lie and what you have is undisputable.
I will be curious to know of how many of the first downs came from 3rd down conversions. It looks like I am moving the goal post but when I think of Meyers, I don't think of clutch. Juju has in the past led the league in clutch plays.
I think that lateral sealed Meyers fate here. Do you know of some advance stats website we can use to determine how many of those 1st by Meyers were gotten when the team really needs it? Like on third and fourth downs plays that went to him?

Thank you. Stats don't lie and what you have is undisputable.
I will be curious to know of how many of the first downs came from 3rd down conversions. It looks like I am moving the goal post but when I think of Meyers, I don't think of clutch. Juju has in the past led the league in clutch plays.
I think that lateral sealed Meyers fate here. Do you know of some advance stats website we can use to determine how many of those 1st by Meyers were gotten when the team really needs it? Like on third and fourth downs plays that went to him?
That site may have some advanced searches - I haven't checked.

One thing about Jakobi was his ... well ... blandness? He made some plays, but I cannot recall anything that made you sit up and take notice. I did appreciate the reliability. A excellent trait, but it cannot be your only trait.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back