PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi vs JuJu

Meyers was not a YAC guy. The Pats need YAC receivers. Smith-Schuster is a YAC guy. If JuJu can stay healthy, he is a much better receiver for this offense and a better receiver in general.

I think people here overrate Meyers. He is good WR, but he is also limited.
Agree about the YAC, but last year was his best year in terms of YAC because he was with Mahomes and Reids system. If he has trouble separating, is that mitigated a bit? I think his upside is higher, but theres definitely the risk of him not fitting the system like other vet receivers that have come here and in return you lost your best receiver over the last few years. Either way, both werent really game changing

JuJu was at his best with Antonio Brown terrorizing DBs on the other side of the field. Remember AB was the best WR in the NFL 2013-2018 (so overlapping JuJu's first two seasons). JuJu played for Reid last season with Mahomes at quarterback and he wasn't really a great fit into that perfect situation. His numbers were just ok given the potential. By my estimation JuJu is not a WR1. He's a WR2 and probably not much better than Parker (who I like as a WR2 or 3). Adding Hopkins would slide each into their proper spot.
Who CARES about the label #1 WR, just you I think. The ACTUAL question was whether JJ was an upgrade over Meyers or not? I think the obvious answer is YES!. Better YAC, more explosiveness, more effective in the red zone. more speed, more separation, more position flexibility. Do you question any of these 6 remarks?

Jacobi Meyers is what you want your son to grow up to be. Hard working maximizing his gifts, dedicated and smart. He was ALL those things, and I'm thrilled that he got paid. He deserves it. But after 3 years, he was what he was. He's a big slow slot receiver who wins with body position, effort and good hands. Will he get better? Maybe marginally, but not drastically. You know it. You just can't say it, because that would mean you'd have to admit it was a good move, and we ALL know that THAT can't happen.

Who CARES about the label #1 WR, just you I think. The ACTUAL question was whether JJ was an upgrade over Meyers or not? I think the obvious answer is YES!. Better YAC, more explosiveness, more effective in the red zone. more speed, more separation, more position flexibility. Do you question any of these 6 remarks?

Jacobi Meyers is what you want your son to grow up to be. Hard working maximizing his gifts, dedicated and smart. He was ALL those things, and I'm thrilled that he got paid. He deserves it. But after 3 years, he was what he was. He's a big slow slot receiver who wins with body position, effort and good hands. Will he get better? Maybe marginally, but not drastically. You know it. You just can't say it, because that would mean you'd have to admit it was a good move, and we ALL know that THAT can't happen.
Are you sure Juju separates better than Jakobi? According to advanced analytic sites, he’s doesn’t get the separation that Meyers did

Last edited:
Who CARES about the label #1 WR, just you I think.
Well, me and Mac Jones at least. His career may very well be in the balance this season so I'm pretty sure he's considering who his #1 target is. And by the way, his favorite receiver - Jakobi - is gone which I'm also sure he's not happy about.

Regarding JuJu, we'll see, I stated many times I like him, but Jakobi --> JuJu is mostly a lateral move imo. JuJu wasn't really that impressive last season with Mahomes and Reid who represent the best QB/HC combo in the NFL by far right now. JuJu really hasn't been better than good since 2018 with AB soaking up coverage on the other side of the field. So at that point he was a WR2. Asking him to be a WR1 in our offense with our quarterback is a lot for JuJu. He'd look much better on a depth chart with Hopkins.

Are you sure Juju separates better than Jakobi? According to advanced analytic sites, he’s doesn’t get the separation that Meyers did
You can't trust and don't need advanced analytic sites, simply judge them on a per game basis.

UYpyhBz.png

If that isn't enough, consider the fact Juju is just plain faster.

Meyers ran a 4.63 forty leaving college, he simply isn't fast... so yards after the catch don't come easier.

So Juju is cheaper and better... what are we debating at this point?

Yeah I would say Juju is an upgrade over Meyers. Not a massive game changing upgrade but enough of an upgrade to talk about. There’s a reason why Meyers started his Patriots career with a TD drought. I wouldn’t expect the same drought from Juju…

Yeah I would say Juju is an upgrade over Meyers. Not a massive game changing upgrade but enough of an upgrade to talk about. There’s a reason why Meyers started his Patriots career with a TD drought. I wouldn’t expect the same drought from Juju…
JuJu only managed 3 TDs with Mahomes and Reid.

Jakobi is in for a productive season with Garoppolo and Adams getting doubled.

If Jakobi ends up with better numbers than JuJu then it'll probably mean things didn't go so well for the Patriots offense (especially if JuJu remains the WR1, i.e. no Hopkins). But I won't be surprised if it happens.

It’s interesting how controversial Meyers is given how mediocre the guy is.

The general fanbase probably has no idea who this guy is.

You can't trust and don't need advanced analytic sites, simply judge them on a per game basis.

UYpyhBz.png

If that isn't enough, consider the fact Juju is just plain faster.

Meyers ran a 4.63 forty leaving college, he simply isn't fast... so yards after the catch don't come easier.

So Juju is cheaper and better... what are we debating at this point?
None of this showed me he separates better, so it didn’t answer my question. I agree they’re both mediocre

JuJu only managed 3 TDs with Mahomes and Reid.

Jakobi is in for a productive season with Garoppolo and Adams getting doubled.

If Jakobi ends up with better numbers than JuJu then it'll probably mean things didn't go so well for the Patriots offense (especially if JuJu remains the WR1, i.e. no Hopkins). But I won't be surprised if it happens.
Not only is Adams getting doubled but they also have a potential star at te when they drafted Mayer out of Notre Dame. Also has veterans Hooper and Howard. I’m not so sure there will be a lot of targets for Meyers with Renfrow, Dorsett and Carter in the mix.

Not a huge fan of Juju, but more so than Meyers because of the yac. Bigger fan of Gesicki and Henry making the impact to spring JJS and others open for big plays. Combined with the running game, imo Juju is the right fit here.

If JuJu (& Parker too) isn't upset that Bill failed to land Hopkins, then he should be.

Last edited:
It's so up in the air. Meyers knew the "system", but it seems it is getting a reset all around.
But if JSS shows mental errors, and is not in the right spot, all of his YAC talk is meaningless.
We just have to see how all the WR's shape up.
I will say, I might be most intrigued about Ty coming back. He may have been the missing link in the pass game last year after getting hurt Wk. 1.

It's so up in the air. Meyers knew the "system", but it seems it is getting a reset all around.
But if JSS shows mental errors, and is not in the right spot, all of his YAC talk is meaningless.
We just have to see how all the WR's shape up.
I will say, I might be most intrigued about Ty coming back. He may have been the missing link in the pass game last year after getting hurt Wk. 1.

JJSS has a 70.8% catch rate for his career. That's despite having a year where the Steelers had 3 different QBs and a season shortened year due to the shoulder injury.

He had a career BEST in KC at 77.2%. I think people are really downplaying what this means in terms of knowing what routes he's supposed to run. From my standpoint, this tells me that he's where he's supposed to be more often than not and he makes the catch more often than not. The fact that he averages 6 YAC is good and I think that running routes that are 2-4 yards deeper will help him out as well.
Provided that he doesn't have another freak injury and the O-Line is at least mediocre, I expect him to put up over 1000 yards, have a 13-15 YPC and 7-9 TDs.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back