PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi vs JuJu

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Personally, I‘d feel more comfortable if we resigned Jakobi and not picked up JuJu in FA.

Give me the proven commodity who was our most productive receiver and had chemistry with Mac and was always on the field vs a guy with injury issues and admitted (I appreciate the honesty) how hard it is to pick up the offense.

Agreed. I'm a Jakobi fan and I'm disappointed he's gone. He'll be a nice fit with Garoppolo, who's also grown on me, I think he's a good quarterback, but obviously staying healthy is his issue.

I do like JuJu too, don't love him, and I'll like him a lot more if we sign Hopkins. Too me JuJu is a relatively weak WR1 but I'll take him as a 2 or 3 any Sunday.

Letting Jakobi go was the right decision. He was not the right WR for Mac as he was terrible after the catch. No matter the Pats record after this season, this board won't care about Meyers.

Letting Jakobi go was the right decision. He was not the right WR for Mac as he was terrible after the catch. No matter the Pats record after this season, this board won't care about Meyers.
I don't care about Meyers already but I liked him with the Patriots. Even with that sack of **** running the offense last season, Meyers was productive, had his best season. I'm pretty sure he was Mac's favorite target too.

I’ve seen JJSS say the offense is complex and requires a lot of work/studying, but he’s never said it’s been hard to pick up. What have you read?

"I feel like I'm back in college or school again. After this, I'm going to go home, put a couple hours in," Smith-Schuster said. "I'm making flashcards. I got a lot of flashcards. It's awesome. If you saw what we study, we should get a college degree for doing that."

2022 - JuJu and Mahomes = Super Bowl

2023 - JuJu and Machomes = Super Bowl

My problem with it is that it was a lateral move. We actually need to upgrade the position.
Don't think it was a lateral at all. Juju is an upgrade over Jakobi. Jakobi was master of catching the ball 12 yards when we need 13yards. He will get all these yards but I can count how many of his catches were chain moving plays. Juju has been there and knows how to move the chains. We will be better in that aspect.

Don't think it was a lateral at all. Juju is an upgrade over Jakobi. Jakobi was master of catching the ball 12 yards when we need 13yards. He will get all these yards but I can count how many of his catches were chain moving plays. Juju has been there and knows how to move the chains. We will be better in that aspect.

So 134 first downs on 235 catches is bad? 57%.

JuJu is also at 57% - JuJu Smith-Schuster Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

JuJu has a slightly better catch rate (70.1% to Jakobi's 68.3%), and is way ahead in TD's (29 to 8 - although taking the last three years alone it is 12-8). Yards per catch is near identical (JJ - 11.9, JM - 11.7).

Upgrade? On paper it's not by much. How he interfaces with the scheme and other players will determine that.

I’ve seen JJSS say the offense is complex and requires a lot of work/studying, but he’s never said it’s been hard to pick up. What have you read?

"I feel like I'm back in college or school again. After this, I'm going to go home, put a couple hours in," Smith-Schuster said. "I'm making flashcards. I got a lot of flashcards. It's awesome. If you saw what we study, we should get a college degree for doing that."

How many other players have you heard equate learning a playbook to earning a college degree? Did he say that about the Steelers or Cheifs offenses?

I'm not saying he can't learn it but to assumw he'll be as proficient as Myers in understanding the system in year 1 is a stretch.

JuJu’s first five NFL seasons were in an Erhardt-Perkins system. He has to learn the actual terminology that the Patriots are using now, but he has plenty of experience speaking the general language.

Personally, I‘d feel more comfortable if we resigned Jakobi and not picked up JuJu in FA.

Give me the proven commodity who was our most productive receiver and had chemistry with Mac and was always on the field vs a guy with injury issues and admitted (I appreciate the honesty) how hard it is to pick up the offense.
The guy has had 2 injuries. A knee injury that he suffered in the AFC Championship game this past year. The injury in 2021 was a catastrophic shoulder injury that required surgery. You do realize those can happen to anyone, right?

Smith-Shuster can play inside or outside and get YAC (5.3YAC for his career) . He also has a career 70.1 Catch percentage. And that includes in 2019 when Pitt used 3 different QBs.

How many games has MEYERS missed? 6 games over the last 4 years. 5 due to "injury".

Meyers isn't going to get better than where he was at last year. His YAC is 3.35 on his career with a catch% of 68.3% And before you say Cam Newton, that was Meyers best year with 72.8%. Meyers might finally get to 1000 yards, but it will be because of Volume, not YPC.

While we know Jacoby fits in with Mac and knows the offense I think JuJu compliments our current group better. Especially Parker I think JuJu/Parker combo is better and more versatile than the Parker/Jacoby.

Meyers was not a YAC guy. The Pats need YAC receivers. Smith-Schuster is a YAC guy. If JuJu can stay healthy, he is a much better receiver for this offense and a better receiver in general.

I think people here overrate Meyers. He is good WR, but he is also limited.

Gut tells me this is the right move as well. JuJu is more talented and better with YAC. I do think Meyers was a great team mate and worked his tail off… but JuJu also seems to say and do the right things.

I think Pats had a value assigned to meyers and it got too expensive. He’s a great possession receiver but there’s a ceiling on how much you can pay for that. Same reason Troy brown never got paid big bucks here…I think he’s a relevant patriots precedent. JuJu adds another dynamic to offense.

Gut tells me this is the right move as well. JuJu is more talented and better with YAC. I do think Meyers was a great team mate and worked his tail off… but JuJu also seems to say and do the right things.

I think Pats had a value assigned to meyers and it got too expensive. He’s a great possession receiver but there’s a ceiling on how much you can pay for that. Same reason Troy brown never got paid big bucks here…I think he’s a relevant patriots precedent. JuJu adds another dynamic to offense.
Troy Brown was way better than Meyers not even close.

So 134 first downs on 235 catches is bad? 57%.

JuJu is also at 57% - JuJu Smith-Schuster Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

JuJu has a slightly better catch rate (70.1% to Jakobi's 68.3%), and is way ahead in TD's (29 to 8 - although taking the last three years alone it is 12-8). Yards per catch is near identical (JJ - 11.9, JM - 11.7).

Upgrade? On paper it's not by much. How he interfaces with the scheme and other players will determine that.
Not even close Juju get YAC unlike Meyers.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back