PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jake Bailey

I was looking at this chart. Bailey is not a top 10 punter this year.
View attachment 39045

His average is actually 1.5 yards less and his net average is 3 less than 2020. In 2019 he was statistically worse than that but it looked to me like he was much better at pinning the opponent deep in their end with good kicks. Punt blocks can also be on the punter getting it away too slow.

Just feels like something is off with him. An injury would explain it. Not saying he's Ken Walter but he really hasn't punted well this year.
Isn't net avg way more important than average? a punt is not jsut about distance but also about hang time, at least net avg kinda indirectly takes that into account

also you don't penalize better offenses who are closer to the opponent's endzone

Isn't net avg way more important than average? a punt is not jsut about distance but also about hang time, at least net avg kinda indirectly takes that into account

also you don't penalize better offenses who are closer to the opponent's endzone
Yeah, a punter who consistently outkicks his coverage is not long for this league.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like he’s having a bit of a down year?

Was a top 5 punter last year with 31 kicks inside the 20 and this year he’s barely league average in yards per punt and only 20. He already has more punts out of bounds than he did all last season. Didn’t punt well yesterday either. Nor the week before. And the 3 blocks. Something feels off - I don’t know if it’s on him or all the punt team.
The week before he couldn’t punt well, the wind was out of control. Buffalo had the same issue on a few of them. No one would have been able to consistently kick well in those conditions.

He’s also not responsible for the blocked punt again Indy. That’s a core special teams issue, not a punting issue.

The whole ST unit blew the Dolts game.......Blocked punt and offsides after a missed Colt FG cost Pats 10 points......The last 67 yd run for the TD was just the icing on the cake for blown defensive assignments. Having Dugger out hurt IMHO.....

The whole ST unit blew the Dolts game.......Blocked punt and offsides after a missed Colt FG cost Pats 10 points......The last 67 yd run for the TD was just the icing on the cake for blown defensive assignments. Having Dugger out hurt IMHO.....
It wasn't the "WHOLE" unit. For the blocked punt, Jakob Johnson had a rare brain fart. Not sure how he got beaten so easily.

On the offside, that was Brandon King. And I'm sure that @captain stone is going to rant some about King being a waste of space.. Despite the fact he's been excellent on special teams otherwise.

Bump. He was horrible today.

The eye test wasn’t lying he has not been good this year. Not sure what it is but something is not right with him. If it’s not an injury he better figure it out cause BB in the past doesn’t hesitate at this position to pull the plug and get someone else.

The eye test wasn’t lying he has not been good this year. Not sure what it is but something is not right with him. If it’s not an injury he better figure it out cause BB in the past doesn’t hesitate at this position to pull the plug and get someone else.

He netted 41.3 yards on three punts with the longest being 63, not really bad. Wind out of the north was strong, I think it was his first punt that got knocked down by the wind, don't recall the other two.

He netted 41.3 yards on three punts with the longest being 63, not really bad. Wind out of the north was strong, I think it was his first punt that got knocked down by the wind, don't recall the other two.

He had the one good punt with the wind at his back; every other one was crap, as usual.

He's been on the injury report all season. It's not a mystery that he has some kind of lingering issue this year.

He's been on the injury report all season. It's not a mystery that he has some kind of lingering issue this year.
Then shouldn’t he be IR’ed? Would rather see that than what we are seeing. He was one of the reasons why we lost yesterday.

Then shouldn’t he be IR’ed? Would rather see that than what we are seeing. He was one of the reasons why we lost yesterday.

He's still probably as good as a replacement will be.

And then there's the kickoff thing.

Is Ryan Allen available?
I believe he is. Cut by the Colts last year I guess. I don’t think he’d be much of an upgrade right now if at all.

I'm very happy Jake Bailey is on the team. It's hard for me to disparage him while he is injured...like others here like to kick him when he is down (pun intended). I'm looking forward to seeing him back playing great again once he is healthy.

I'm very happy Jake Bailey is on the team. It's hard for me to disparage him while he is injured...like others here like to kick him when he is down (pun intended). I'm looking forward to seeing him back playing great again once he is healthy.

What’s his malady (besides sucking of course)?

Bailey was not one of the reasons that the Patriots lost on Sunday..

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back